What is the Parish Council Responsible for:
The Parish Council is the first tier of local government and represents the communities of Hurstpierpoint, Sayers Common, Goddards Green and the surrounding countryside. We have a population of nearly 7,000 who are fortunate to live in an area of great beauty, with the benefits of ready access to Brighton, the coast and the South Downs, and with the centre of London only a 50 minute train ride.
Hurstpierpoint is the larger of the villages and is home to a wide range of clubs, societies and sports activities. Significant local events such as the St Lawrence Fair in June each year, and the Hurst Festival in September, are extremely popular and draw many visitors into our community. The village enjoys an excellent range of quality shops in the High Street, as well as a theatre, tennis and bowls clubs, and many organisations for all ages.
The Parish Council office is situated in the Village Centre building next to the Library in Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint, please contact us.
The Parish Council have responsibility for the following areas:
- Streetlights – Installation, maintenance and repair of parish owned streetlights.
- Recreation Grounds and Play areas –improvements, inspections and maintenance of South Avenue Recreation Ground (Hurstpierpoint) and Reeds Lane Recreation Ground (Sayers Common).
- Hurst Meadows – Improvements, projects, maintenance and upkeep of 50 acres of countryside open space and ancient woodland.
- Community Buildings – bookings and day to day management of Court Bushes Community Hub and Hurstpierpoint Village Centre.
- Communal spaces – Village Garden and War Memorial Garden on Hurstpierpoint High Street.
- Albourne Road Allotments – Tenancies, maintenance and upkeep of allotment site – alongside the Allotment Association.
- Cemetery – Responsibility for maintenance, sale of plots and burials at South Avenue Cemetery and upkeep of Lower Churchyard at Holy Trinity Church.
- Street Furniture – Installation maintenance and repair of Village Gateways and bus shelters.
- Waste Collections – General waste bin and dog waste collections within around the parish.
- Public Conveniences – operation of Pit Road and Trinity Road toilets.
- Planning – Development of neighbourhood plan and consultee recommendations on all planning applications within the Parish.
- Emergency Planning – developing and implementing severe weather and other emergency plans.
- Community grants – supporting local groups and good causes by awarding grants.
The other tiers of Local Government:
The majority of services that are not provided by the Parish Council are supported by either the County or District Councils. A brief breakdown of the services that each council officers, with the relevant contact details can be found below.
If you are still unsure on who to contact then please get in touch with the Parish Council office where we can either signpost you in the right direction or in some circumstances we can even make reports on your behalf.
West Sussex County Council (WSCC)
WSCC have head offices in Chichester and have responsibility for the following areas:
- Highways (Roads, potholes, grass verges etc)
- Schools and education
- Social Services
- Registrar – Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Fire and Rescue Services
- Recycling, Waste and Refuse (such as recycling centres)
Mrs Joy Dennis
Joy Dennis is a Chartered Accountant who has worked at senior levels and has extensive business and financial experience. Joy has been a Parish Councillor and is currently the Chair of the Rocking Horse Children’s Charity. Joy is married with a daughter at University and has lived in Mid Sussex for over 25 years.
Full details of WSCC services can be found at https://www.westsussex.gov.uk or by calling 01243 777100.
Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC)
MSDC have head offices in Haywards Heath and have responsibility for the following areas:
- Planning Applications (including listed buildings and conservation areas)
- Waste and recycling collections
- Council tax and business rates
- Sports and recreation facilities
- Parking enforcement
- Road Closures
- Litter and Street Cleaning
07740 648 956
01273 834 422
01273 832 102
Full details of MSDC services can be found at https://www.midsussex.gov.uk or by calling 01444 458166.