Council Members are summoned to attend the Meeting of the Council to be held on Thursday 28 September 2023 at 7.30pm in the Sayers Common Village Hall. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 22 September 2023
- Apologies for absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of interest: To receive and record declarations of interest.
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 27 July 2023 Council meeting.
4. Councillor Co-option: To consider applications to co-opt councillors to fill the ordinary vacancies following the 4 May 2023 uncontested local election. The deadline for applications was 12 noon on Friday 15 September 2023. Two applications have been received and have been circulated confidentially to members of the Parish Council prior to the meeting. Please note, the Parish Council is not obliged to select any candidate. The following procedure should be followed:
- Candidates will be sent a full agenda for the meeting at which they are to be considered for appointment. They may speak for up to three minutes about their application during the co-option item on the agenda.
- Voting takes place in public by a written ballot. After the voting has concluded the Chairman will declare the successful candidates duly elected.
- The successful candidates will sign their Declaration of Acceptance of Office form before they can act as a councillor. The Register of Interests form must be completed within 28 days.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council ELECTS two Councillor to serve on the Hurstpierpoint ward and to agree their Committee membership, noting one councillor vacancy remains.
- Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
6. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
6.1 West Sussex County Council
6.2 Mid Sussex District Council
7. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
7.1 Planning Committee (7 August 2023) There were no recommendations for Council.
7.2 Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (24 August) There was one recommendation for Council which is set out under Confidential items below.
7.3 Planning Committee (4 September 2023) There were no recommendations for Council.
7.4 Community Engagement Committee (14 September 2023) There was one recommendation for Council:
CE23/24.020.1 Festive Lights: The Committee discussed the briefing note about the large increase to the costs for the structural tests required for the Sayers Common Festive Lights, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREES to recommend to Council the use of the Earmarked Reserve (Christmas Lights) towards the additional cost of the festive lighting.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES the use of the Earmarked Reserve (Christmas Lights) towards the additional cost of the festive lighting.
7.5 Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (19 September 2023) There were two recommendations for Council:
- F23/24.049: Internal Auditors Engagement: The Committee considered the letter of engagement which proposed appointing Mulberry & Co as the Parish Council’s Internal Auditor for 2023-2024, 2024-2025 and 2025-2026, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend to Council the appointment of Mulberry & Co as the Parish Council’s Internal Auditor for 2023-2024, 2024-2025 and 2025-2026.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES to appointment Mulberry & Co as the Parish Council’s Internal Auditor for 2023-2024, 2024-2025 and 2025-2026.
- F23/24.050: Internal Controls: The Committee reviewed the findings from the September 2023 internal controls exercise including the recommendation to include an insurance/replacement value uplift on the 31 March 2024 asset register, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to assess the value of contents and if necessary include an insurance/replacement value uplift on the 31 March 2024 asset register, and to recommend the adoption of the Internal Controls by Council.
RESCOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES to adopt the Internal Controls exercise of September 2023.
- Highways, Cycleways and Footpaths Joint Council Working Group (25 September 2023). Minutes to follow.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council RECEIVES the minutes of the following Committees and AGREES the above recommendations:
- Planning Committee (7 August 2023)
- Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (24 August 2023)
- Planning Committee (4 September 2023)
- Community Engagement Committee (14 September 2023)
- Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (19 September 2023)
- Highways, Cycleways and Footpaths Joint Council Working Group (25 September 2023)
- Appointment to Hurstpierpoint Society: To consider nominations and agree a Parish Council representative to the Hurstpierpoint Society.
- South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) Parish Priorities Statement: To consider the letter from the SDNPA dated 14 July 2023 to help develop their evidence base for their Local Plan Review by setting out the principle needs and prevailing views of the local community in a ‘parish priorities statement’, by 20 October 2023.
- Santa’s Fun Sunday: To consider an application for the hire of the Village Garden by Hurst Traders for Santa’s Fun Sunday on 3 December 2023 from 11am to 5pm, at nil cost.
- Reports from Representative on Outside Bodies: To receive reports from Representative on Outside Bodies including:
11.1 West Sussex Association of Local Councils (WSALC)
11.2 Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC)
12. The Council is asked to note any information items, correspondence received or requests.
12.1 Rampion 2 Offshore Wind Farm: To note the letter dated 18 September 2023 from Rampion Extension Development Limited, which set out a formal notification that the application for a Development Consent Order (for nationally significant infrastructure projects) has been accepted for examination by the Planning Inspectorate. The opportunity exists to submit comments by 1 November 2023.
Members are asked to RESOLVE that in view of the confidential nature of the following items, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
13. Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club: To consider the recommendation of the Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (24 August 2023):
F23/24.041: Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club: The Committee considered an independent valuation for the five-yearly rent review of Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club (April 2023 to April 2028), and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED the independent valuation for the five-yearly rent review of Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club (April 2023 to April 2028) and agreed to recommend it to Council for approval.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES the independent valuation for the five-yearly rent review of Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club (April 2023 to April 2028).
14. Mid Sussex District Plan 2021-2039 Review Update: To receive a verbal update on the informal consultation meeting with Mid Sussex District Council held on 14 September 2023 regarding our Regulation 18 response submitted on 19 December 2022 and their plans for the Regulation 19 consultation.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.