Council Members are summoned to attend the Meeting of the Council to be held on Thursday 26 October 2023 at 7.30pm in the Village Centre Conference Room. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 20 October 2023
- Apologies for absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of interest: To receive and record declarations of interest.
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 28 September 2023 Council meeting.
- Committee Appointments: To agree appointments to committee as follows:
- Cllr Baldey will join the Planning Committee and Community Engagement Committee; and
- Cllr Street will join the Finance, Governance and Estates Committee and Community Engagement Committee.
- Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
6. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
6.1 West Sussex County Council
6.2 Mid Sussex District Council
7. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
7.1 Planning Committee (2 October 2023) There were no recommendations for Council.
7.2 Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (19 October 2023) There were five recommendations for Council as follows:
7.2.1 F23/24.062: Parish Council Half Year Financial Analysis: The Committee reviewed the Parish Council’s financial position at the half year stage and agreed the actions required including any changes to earmarked reserves, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED the £7,000 transfer from Court Bushes Cost Centre (211) to the Court Bushes Sinking Fund be recommended to Council for approval.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREE the £7,000 transfer from Court Bushes Cost Centre (211) to the Court Bushes Sinking Fund (Ear marked Reserve 380).
7.2.2 F23/24.061: Review of 2022/23 External Audit Report: The Committee noted the External Auditor’s (Moore West Sussex) Certificate for the 31 March 2023 accounts which stated there were no matters that had come to their attention giving cause for concern, and agreed to recommend it to Council for adoption, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend to Council the adoption of the External Auditor’s (Moore West Sussex) Certificate for the 31 March 2023 accounts. RECOMMENDATION: That Council note and ADOPT the External Auditor’s (Moore West Sussex) Certificate for the 31 March 2023 accounts.
7.2.3 F23/24.064: Internal Audit: The Committee considered the report of the first internal audit of 2023/2024, which took place on 3 October 2023 and noted the recommendations, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend the report to Council for adoption.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREE to:
- investigate training another member of staff to use the RBS accounting system;
- ensure Councillors sign to agree to receive their summons to meetings by electronic means; and
- that all future asset purchases are accompanied by a business case (Financial Regulation 14).
7.2.4 F23/24.065: Budget and Precept Setting Timetable: The Committee reviewed the proposed timetable, principles and assumptions to commence the budget setting exercise for 1 April 2024 to 31 March 2025, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend the following timetable, principles and assumptions to Council for adoption.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREE the following:
- The proposed timetable to commence the budget setting exercise for 1 April 2024 to 31 March 2025.
- The following principles and assumptions:
- A balanced budget is required to be set.
- There are no changes to service levels.
- Charges will be reviewed and any increases agreed and applied to the budget.
- The September 2023 CPI (excluding Housing costs) figure will be used therefore Inflation of +6.7% will be applied to expenditure forecasts, unless cost increases to contracts are known, then actuals will apply.
- Staff costs will initially be budgeted for at an increase of 7%. This percentage may be subject to change over the next few months.
- Reserves should only be used for one-off expenditure or capital items.
7.2.5 F23/24.066: Court Bushes Container Project: The Committee re-considered a briefing note setting out the proposals for the purchase of a storage container for Court Bushes Community Hub Car Park, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend to Council, the purchase, delivery and installation of a new (one-trip) 20 foot ex-shipping container including the ground works and electrical connection works, plus six cages to be used inside, as the total cost of the project is £11,225+VAT; and Section 106 funding would be applied for.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREE the purchase, delivery and installation of a new (one-trip) 20 foot ex-shipping container including the ground works and electrical connection works, plus six cages to be used inside, as the total cost of the project is £11,225+VAT; and Section 106 funding would be applied for.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council RECEIVES the minutes of the following Committees and AGREES the above recommendations:
- Planning Committee (2 October 2023)
- Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (19 October 2023)
- Reeds Lane Community Highways Scheme/Traffic Regulation Order: To consider submitting a Community Highways Scheme/Traffic Regulation Orderto address issues of speeding, vehicle weight and parking issues on Reeds Lane.
- Reports from Representative on Outside Bodies: To receive reports from Representative on Outside Bodies including:
12.1 West Sussex Association of Local Councils (WSALC)
12.2 Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC)
10. The Council is asked to note any information items, correspondence received or requests:
- South Downs National Park: To receive feedback from the 4 October 2023 South Downs National Park Parish Council’s meeting.
- West Sussex County Council Active Travel Consultation: To note the Active Travel Survey which closes on 15 November 2023.
Members are asked to RESOLVE that in view of the confidential nature of the following items, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
- Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club: To consider a response from the Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club regarding the five-yearly rent review discussed at the last meeting.
- Mid Sussex District Plan 2021-2039 Review Update: To receive a verbal update on the second informal consultation meeting with Mid Sussex District Council held on 12 October 2023 regarding our Regulation 18 response submitted on 19 December 2022, and their plans for the Regulation 19 consultation.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.