Council Members are summoned to attend the ANNUAL Meeting of the Council to be held on Thursday 18 May 2023 at 7.30pm in the Village Centre Conference Room. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 12 May 2023
N.B. The outgoing Chairman of Council will be Chairman of the Meeting until the conclusion of item 1.
- Election of Chairman: To elect the Chairman of the Council for the ensuing year and receive the Chairman’s Declaration of Acceptance of Office as Chairman of the Council.
- Apologies for absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of interest: To receive and record declarations of interest.
- Election of Vice-Chairman: To elect the Vice-Chairman of the Council for the ensuing year and receive the Vice-Chairman’s Declaration of Acceptance of Office as Vice-Chairman of the Council.
- Councillor Co-option: To consider an application to co-opt a councillor to fill one of the five ordinary vacancies following the 4 May 2023 uncontested local election. The first deadline for applications was 12 noon on Friday 12 May 2023. One application was received and has been circulated confidentially to members of the Parish Council prior to the meeting. Please note, the Parish Council is not obliged to select any candidate. The following procedure should be followed:
- Candidates will be sent a full agenda for the meeting at which they are to be considered for appointment. They may speak for up to three minutes about their application during the co-option item on the agenda.
- Voting takes place in public by a written ballot. Where there are more than two candidates for the vacancy and none of those persons have received an absolute majority in their favour, the name of the person having the least number of votes shall be struck off the list and a fresh vote taken. This process continues until a majority of votes is given in favour of one person. Any tie may be settled by the Chairman’s casting vote. After the voting has concluded the Chairman will declare the successful candidate duly elected.
- The successful candidate will sign their Declaration of Acceptance of Office form before they can act as a councillor. The Register of Interests form must be completed within 28 days.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council ELECTS a Councillor to serve on the Sayers Common ward.
- Committee Structure & Responsibilities: To consider and agree the terms of reference, responsibilities and accountabilities of each Committee and Working Group.
- Committee Membership: To elect Councillors to serve upon the Council’s Committees and Working Groups and to elect Chairs of each.
- Council Representatives: To appoint Council representatives to outside bodies for 2023/24 and note the representatives assigned to informal groups.
- Meeting Diary: To determine the time and place of ordinary meetings of the full Council up to and including the next annual meeting of full Council.
- Standing Orders: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s Standing Orders.
11. Financial Regulations: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s Financial Regulations.
- Code of Conduct: To review and adopt the Members’ Code of Conduct.
- Delegations to the Clerk: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s Delegations to the Clerk.
- General Power of Competence: To consider and adopt the General Power of Competence which under the Localism Act 2011, permits a parish council if it meets certain criteria, to do anything that individuals generally may do.
- Previous Minutes: To receive and accept the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 27 April 2023.
16. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the Planning & Environment Committee (2 May 2023). There were no recommendations for Council.
RECOMMENDATION: The Council RESOLVES to receive the minutes of the following Committee:
- Planning & Environment Committee (2 May 2022)
17. Income and Expenditure for Year Ending 31 March 2023: To consider and agree the final Income and Expenditure figures for Year Ending 31 March 2023.
18. Fixed Asset Register 31 March 2023: The Council is asked to confirm the asset register dated 31 March 2023, as agreed at the 27 April 2023 meeting Minute C22/23.160.3.ii.
19. Internal Audit Report Letter dated 25 April 2023: The Council is asked to consider and agree the Internal Audit Report Letter dated 25 April 2023 from Mulberry & Co. including the audit findings for action.
RECOMMENDATION: The Council RESOLVES to agree and adopt the Internal Audit Report dated 25 April 2023, noting i) the bank interest correction; and ii) the recommendation that the council consider its general reserves position with care when setting the 2024/5 budget.
20. To consider and agree the Annual Governance and Accountability Return for the year ending 31 March 2023: The Council is asked to consider and agree the Annual Governance and Accountability Return for the year ending 31 March 2023 ensuring it accurately presents the financial management of the Council as required by the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 as follows:
20.1 To note the signed Annual Internal Audit Report 2022/2023.
RECOMMENDATION: The Council RESOLVES to note the signed Annual Internal Audit Report 2022/2023.
20.2 To adopt Section 1: The Annual Governance Statement 2022/23.
RECOMMENDATION: The Council RESOLVES to agree and adopt the Section 1: Annual Governance Statement 2022/23.
20.3 To adopt Section 2: The Accounting Statement 2022/2023.
RECOMMENDATION: The Council RESOLVES to agree and adopt the Section 2: Accounting Statement 2022/2023.
20.4 To agree the period of the publics’ right of inspection will be 5 June to 14 July 2023 (the Regulations require the period to include 30 workings days and the first ten working days of July).
RECOMMENDATION: The Council RESOLVES to agree and adopt the period of public inspection of the accounts as 5 June to 14 July 2023.
21. Insurance: To confirm the arrangements for insurance cover in respect of all insurable risks as agreed at the 27 April 2023 meeting Minute C22/23.162.
22. Direct Debits: To review and agree the Parish Council’s direct debits.
23. Subscriptions: To review and agree the Parish Council’s subscriptions.
24. Complaints Procedure: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s complaints procedure.
25. Freedom of Information: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s policies, procedures and practices in respect of its obligations under Freedom of Information legislation.
26. Data Protection: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s policies, procedures and practices in respect of its obligations under Data Protection legislation.
27. Media & Communications Policy: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s Media & Communications Policy.
28. Employment Policies: To review and adopt the Parish Council’s employment policies and procedures.
29. Health and Safety Policy: To review and adopt the Health and Safety Policy.
30. Safeguarding Policy: To review and adopt the Safeguarding Policy.
31. Risk Management: To review and adopt the a) Risk Policy Statement, Risk Management Strategy and Risk Register, and b) the Emergency Plan and c) the Business Continuity Plan.
32. Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders to receive questions from members of the public in attendance.
33. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
33.1 Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC)
33.2 West Sussex County Council (WSCC)
34. Reports from Representative on Outside Bodies: To receive reports from Representative on Outside Bodies including:
34.1 West Sussex Association of Local Councils (WSALC)
34.2 Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC)
35. The Council is asked to note any information items, correspondence received or requests.
35.1 To note that an exclusive use agreement for the small meeting room at the Village Centre is being explored. Full details will be given at the next Trustees meeting.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.