Dear Members of the Council,
Council Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Council to be held on Thursday 20 October 2022 at 7.30pm at the Hurstpierpoint Village Centre. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 14 October 2022
- Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of Interest: To receive and record any declarations of interest.
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 27 September 2022 Council meeting (postponed from 22 September).
4. Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting, to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
5. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
5.1 West Sussex County Council
5.2 Mid Sussex District Council
5.3 West Sussex Association of Local Councils
5.4 Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils
6. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
6.1 Planning & Environment Committee (29 September 2022) No recommendations for Council.
6.2 Finance & Governance Committee (13 October 2022) Three recommendations for Council:
6.2.1 F22/23.044 Review of 2021/22 External Audit Report: The Committee noted the comments made on the External Auditor’s (Moore West Sussex) Certificate for the 31 March 2022 accounts, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee RECOMMENDS to Council:
RECOMMENDATION: That Council NOTES the comments made on the External Auditor’s (Moore West Sussex) and ADOPTS the Certificate for the 31 March 2022 accounts.
6.2.2 F22/23.046 Budget and Precept Setting Timetable: The Committee considered thetimetable and assumptions for 2023/2024 budget setting process, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee RECOMMENDS to Council:
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES the timetable and assumptions for 2023/2024 Budget Setting process, as amended.
6.2.3 F22/23.047 Asset Register and Policy: The Committee considered the asset register and policy, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee RECOMMENDS to Council:
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES the asset register and policy, as amended.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council RECEIVES the minutes of the following Panel and Committees and agrees the above recommendations:
- Planning & Environment Committee (29 September 2022)
- Finance & Governance Committee (13 October 2022)
- Councillor Co-option: To consider applications to co-opt a councillor to fill the vacancy on the Sayers Common ward created by the resignation of a councillor on 31 July 2022. Following the publication of the notice of vacancy in August 2022, no electors called for a by-election within the legally specified time period (10 electors are required) therefore applications to fill the post by co-opted were invited. This was the first call for applications for the vacancy and the deadline was 12 noon on Friday 7 October 2022. One application was received and has been circulated to Members of the Parish Council prior to the meeting. Please note, the Parish Council is not obliged to select any candidate. As a reminder the following procedure should be followed:
- Applicants complete a short application form confirming their eligibility for the role within the statutory rules and including a description of their interest in becoming a councillor and any skills or qualifications they have, which may benefit the Parish Council.
- Copies of the application forms are circulated to all Members at least three clear days prior to the Council meeting when the co-option will be considered. These will be treated as strictly confidential.
- Candidates will be sent a full agenda for the meeting at which they are to be considered for appointment. They may speak for up to three minutes about their application during the co-option item on the agenda.
- Voting: Voting takes place in public by a written ballot. Where there are more than two candidates for the vacancy and none of those persons have received an absolute majority in their favour, the name of the person having the least number of votes shall be struck off the list and a fresh vote taken. This process continues until a majority of votes is given in favour of one person. Any tie may be settled by the Chairman’s casting vote. After the voting has concluded the Chairman will declare the successful candidate duly elected.
- The successful candidate will sign their Declaration of Acceptance of Office before they can act as a councillor. The Register of Interests form must be completed within 28 days.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council ELECTS to co-opt a Councillor to serve on the Sayers Common ward.
- Community Governance Review: To note the Mid Sussex District Council community governance review decisions agreed at their Council meeting on 12 October 2022 and agree any next steps.
- Meeting Calendar Dates for May 2023. To consider the briefing note which sets out the Mid Sussex District Council election timetable for the 4 May 2023 election and consider reviewing the dates of meetings in May 2023 due to the election.
10. Winter Plan: To review and agree the Winter Plan and agree to submit it to WSCC.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council AGREES and ADOPTS the revised Winter Plan 2022/2023 and its submission to West Sussex County Council.
11. West Sussex Pension Fund: Funding Strategy Statement Consultation 2022: As part of the WSCCactuarial valuation project, the Pension Fund formally consults members on the reviews of its Funding Strategy Statement. Any comments are to be submitted by 28 October 2022.
12. Walnut Tree Field Planting: To consider a briefing note setting out the costs for the Walnut Tree Field tree planting scheme, including the purchase of the tree whips, planting, canes, guards, weed suppressant mats and watering.
13. Councillor Representatives on Outside Bodies: To receive updates from representatives on external organisations.
14. To note any further information items, correspondence received or requests:
14.1 Sussex Police Briefing: To note the paper outlining the Sussex Police briefing to the towns and parishes of the Mid Sussex Association of Local Council’s held on 11 October 2022.
14.2 Rialtas Business Systems: To note that Rialtas Business Systems (the Parish Council’s accounting system) is now under new ownership.
The Committee is asked to RESOLVE that in view of the confidential nature of the following items, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
15. District Plan Review: To note the outcome of the 18 October 2022 Mid Sussex District Council Scrutiny Committee meeting for Planning. To receive a verbal report on the briefing given to Councillors on Thursday 6 October 2022, and consider the next steps in response to Regulation 18 consultation and any associated costs.
16. Access to Hurst Meadows: To receive a verbal update from the Chairman and confirm the next steps including any associated costs.
17. Staff Panel: To consider the confidential briefing paper with recommendations from the Staff Panel meeting on Monday 10 October 2022.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.