Dear Members of the Council,
Council Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Council to be held on Thursday 27 April 2023 at 7.30pm at the Sayers Common Village Hall. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 21 April 2023
- Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of Interest: To receive and record any declarations of interest.
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 23 March 2023 Council meeting.
4. Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
5. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
5.1 West Sussex County Council
5.2 Mid Sussex District Council
6. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
6.1 Planning & Environment Committee (30 March 2023) No recommendations for Council.
6.2 Estates & Facilities Management Committee (13 April 2023) There was one recommendation for Council:
EF22/23.065(g) Proposed Works 2023/24: St George’s Green Flint Wall Repairs: The Committee considered the repairs required to the flint wall at a cost of £9,740 ex. VAT, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to take the Flint wall repairs at a cost of £9,740 ex. VAT to Full Council to obtain approval to use funds from the General Reserve.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES the repairs to the St George’s Green flint wall at a cost of £9,740 ex. VAT, to come from the General Reserve.
6.3 Finance & Governance Committee (20 April 2023) There were three recommendations for Council:
F22/23.110 End of Year Adjustments 2022/23: The Committee considered the end of year figures, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend to Council that the balance of £12,810 to pay for the tarmacking of Court Bushes car park is authorised to be spent from the General Reserve 2023/24.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES that the balance of £12,810 to pay for the tarmacking of Court Bushes car park is authorised to be spent from the General Reserve 2023/24.
F22/23.113 Asset Register: The Committee reviewed the Asset Register, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend the Asset Register dated 31 March 2023 to Council for approval and adoption.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES and ADOPTS the Asset Register dated 31 March 2023.
F22/23.114 Branding Manual: The Committee reviewed the draft Branding Manual, and it was: RESOLVED: That the Committee AGREED to recommend the draft Branding Manual to Council for approval and adoption, as amended.
RECOMMENDATION: That Council AGREES and ADOPTS the Branding Manual.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council RECEIVES the minutes of the following Committees and AGREES the above recommendations:
- Planning & Environment Committee (30 March 2023)
- Estates & Facilities Management Committee (13 April 2023)
- Finance & Governance Committee (20 April 2023)
7. Councillor Co-option Timetable: To note the results of the May 2023 uncontested Parish Council elections and the need to plan to advertise to co-opt councillors to fill the vacancies. The Parish Council has 35 working days from 9 May 2023 (i.e. to 27 June 2023) to co-opt councillors after which a notice must be published to call a by-election if required by 10 or more electors.
8. Insurance Renewal 1 June 2023: To consider the renewal letter dated 14 April 2023 and summary of cover from BHIB Councils Insurance, and approve the premium payment of £3,428.37.
9. South Downs National Park Elections: To consider submitting a nomination for a Parish Councillor, to serve as one of the two representatives from West Sussex town and parish councils within the park boundary, to be elected to sit on the 26 person South Downs National Park Board. This process occurs every four years and will need to be completed by the end of May 2023 to satisfy the requirements of DEFRA.
10. Hurst Meadows Costs 2023/24: To consider the briefing note and agree the funding sources and costs of the tree works arising from the recent tree risk assessment surveys for the Wilderness, Tilley’s Copse and Hurst Meadows. Additional works are also required on one tree at the Village Garden (from the Chantry Stables Building Survey) and one at the Allotments. The total cost is £11,755.
11. Councillor Representatives on Outside Bodies: To receive updates from representatives on external organisations including WSALC and MSALC.
12. To note any further information items, correspondence received or requests:
12.1 Sussex Police Road Safety Briefing: To note the March 2023 liaison meeting held between Sussex Police and town and parish councils on Sussex Police’s Summer road safety briefing, attended by Cllr Lank. The link to watch the meeting has previously been circulated.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.