Dear Members of the Council,
Council Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Council to be held on Thursday 27 January 2022 at 7.30pm at Court Bushes Community Hub. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Please note we strongly recommend the Government’s COVID guidelines are followed.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 21 January 2022
- Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of Interest: To receive and record any declarations of interest.
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 16 December 2021 Council meeting.
4. Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting, to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
5. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
5.1 West Sussex County Council
5.2 Mid Sussex District Council
5.3 West Sussex Association of Local Councils & Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils
6. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
6.1 Planning & Environment Committee (6 January 2022) No recommendations for Council.
6.2 Community Engagement Committee (13 January 2022) One recommendation for Council as follows:
CE21/22.032.6 Community Events: The Committee RESOLVED: that the Full Council should be asked whether we want to organise a specific event for the jubilee and if yes what is the budget and plan? RECOMMENDATION: That the Council consider whether it wants to organise a specific event for HM Platinum Jubilee and if yes what is the budget and plan.
6.3 Finance & Governance Committee (20 January 2022) No recommendations for Council.
6.4 Strategic Policy & Resources Panel (21 January 2022) Recommendation for Council as set out in item 7 below.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council RECEIVES the minutes of the following Committees and Working Group and agrees the above recommendations:
- Planning & Environment Committee (6 January 2022)
- Community Engagement Committee (13 January 2022)
- Finance & Governance Committee (20 January 2022)
- Strategic Policy & Resources Panel (21 January 2022)
- MSDC Local Plan: To consider the report and papers presented to the MSDC Scrutiny Committee for Homes, Planning and the Environment held on 19 January 2022 (previously circulated) and consider the recommendation provided by the Strategic Policy and Resources Panel as follows:
RECOMMENDATION: That Members agree:
- That the Parish Council wishes to be involved in the MSDC Scrutiny committee working party;
- How it will put forward its representation in future; and
- It will maintain ongoing communication with Albourne Parish Council.
- Standing Orders: To amend Clause 8 of Standing Orders (Appointments) to amend the wording on the Policy under 3.1 to add a final sentence that reads “For the purposes of co-option, this will be executed by a written ballot.” as agreed at Minute C21/22.104 of the December 2021 Council meeting.
RECOMMENDATION: That Members agree to amend the wording on the Clause 8 of Standing Orders (Appointments) to add a final sentence that reads “For the purposes of co-option, this will be executed by a written ballot”
- Councillor Co-option: To consider applications to co-opt a councillor to fill the vacancy following the death of Cllr Peter Griffith on the Hurstpierpoint ward. Following the publication of the notice of vacancy, no electors called for a by-election within the legally specified time period (10 electors are required) therefore applications to fill the post by co-opted were invited. The deadline for applications was 12 noon on Tuesday 18 January 2022. One application was received and has been circulated to Members of the Parish Council prior to the meeting. Please note, the Parish Council is not obliged to select any candidate. The following procedure should be followed:
- Applicants complete a short application form confirming their eligibility for the role within the statutory rules and including a description of their interest in becoming a councillor and any skills or qualifications they have, which may benefit the Parish Council.
- Copies of the application forms are circulated to all Members at least three clear days prior to the Council meeting when the co-option will be considered. These will be treated as strictly confidential.
- Candidates will be sent a full agenda for the meeting at which they are to be considered for appointment. They may speak for up to three minutes about their application during the co-option item on the agenda.
- Voting: Voting takes place in public by a written ballot. Where there are more than two candidates for the vacancy and none of those person have received an absolute majority in their favour, the name of the person having the least number of votes shall be struck off the list and a fresh vote taken. This process continues until a majority of votes is given in favour of one person. Any tie may be settled by the Chairman’s casting vote. After the voting has concluded the Chairman will declare the successful candidate duly elected.
- The successful candidate will sign their Declaration of Acceptance of Office before they can act as a councillor. The Register of Interests form must be completed within 28 days.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council ELECTS to co-opt a Councillor to serve on the Hurstpierpoint ward.
10. Court Bushes Access Road Resurfacing: To consider a briefing note setting out the quotes for the resurfacing of the access road at Court Bushes Community Hub.
11. To note any further information items, correspondence received or requests.
11.1 To note the update on e-scooters from Sussex Police provided in the attached email.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.