Council Members are summoned to attend the Meeting of the Council to be held on Thursday 29 June 2023 at 7.30pm in the Village Centre Conference Room. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 23 June 2023
- Apologies for absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of interest: To receive and record declarations of interest.
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 18 May 2023 Council meeting.
- Councillor Co-option: To consider applications to co-opt councillors to fill the ordinary vacancies following the 4 May 2023 uncontested local election. One new councillor was co-opted at the 22 May 2023 Council meeting leaving four vacancies. The second deadline for applications was 12 noon on Friday 16 June 2023. Two applications have been received and have been circulated confidentially to members of the Parish Council prior to the meeting. Please note, the Parish Council is not obliged to select any candidate. The following procedure should be followed:
- Candidates will be sent a full agenda for the meeting at which they are to be considered for appointment. They may speak for up to three minutes about their application during the co-option item on the agenda.
- Voting takes place in public by a written ballot. After the voting has concluded the Chairman will declare the successful candidates duly elected.
- The successful candidates will sign their Declaration of Acceptance of Office form before they can act as a councillor. The Register of Interests form must be completed within 28 days.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council ELECTS two Councillor to serve on the Hurstpierpoint ward and to agree their Committee membership.
5. Finance, Governance & Estates Committee Membership: To formally add Cllr John Lowman as a member of the Finance, Governance & Estates Committee.
- Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
7. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
7.1 West Sussex County Council
7.2 Mid Sussex District Council
8. Committee Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
8.1 Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (25 May 2023) There were no recommendations for Council.
8.2 Planning Committee (5 June 2023) There were no recommendations for Council.
8.3 Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (15 June 2023) There were no recommendations for Council.
RECOMMENDATION: That the Council RECEIVES the minutes of the following Committees and AGREES the above recommendations:
- Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (25 May 2023)
- Planning Committee (5 June 2023)
- Finance, Governance & Estates Committee (15 June 2023)
- Community Highways Scheme (CHS) Update: To consider a Community Highways Scheme to address issues at the Cuckfield Road/Chalkers Lane junction.
10. Request to Site a Shipping Container on South Avenue: To consider a briefing note requesting consideration to temporarily site a shipping container in South Avenue.
- Reports from Representative on Outside Bodies: To receive reports from Representative on Outside Bodies including:
11.1 West Sussex Association of Local Councils (WSALC)
11.2 Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC)
12. The Council is asked to note any information items, correspondence received or requests.
- Members are asked to give any feedback on the Annual Parish Meeting held on 22 May 2023.
12.2 To note a complaint made to the Chairman from a parent changing her child for the gym, about the way she was spoken to by the Clerk.
Members are asked to RESOLVE that in view of the confidential nature of the following items, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
13. Preparation for Mid Sussex District Plan Review Regulation 19 Consultation: To receive a verbal update on the District Plan Review and to consider appointing a consultant to assist the Parish Council’s with its response to the Regulation 19 consultation expected in the late Summer 2023.
14. Access to Hurst Meadows: To consider a briefing note and agree the next steps including any associated costs.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.