hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

August 14, 2017

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 14 September 2017 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand (Chairman)   

Amanda Geel 

              Rodney Jackson   

              John Lowman 

              Malcolm Llewellyn  

Also Present:   

Charlotte Kempson – ASSISTANT CLERK  

F17/028. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  The following apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted:  Martin Machan and Julia Shorrocks.  

F17/029.  Minutes of the meeting of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 10 August 2017:  The Minutes were received and accepted and signed by the Chairman. 

F17/030.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 10 August 

2017: There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.   

F17/031.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   


P17/032.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £39,749.71 for month 6  (September 2017) and the total receipts of £29,154.45 or Month 5 (August 2017) (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2.  The Committee requested more detail on paymentsregarding the toilets, a schedule of when payments are made and how often. A briefing note is to go to the next meeting.  

RESOLVED:  The Committee approves the schedule of payments of £39,749.71 for September 


P17/032.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted the Accounts Records  for Month 5 (August 2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

(1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance  

P17/032.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee was asked to note that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
272,231.16    Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
10,369.06   CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
52,772.33 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 

P17/032.4  Annual Return and External Audit 2017:   The Committee was asked to note the Auditor’s Report.  There are no qualifying comments.  The Auditor has asked that the form of Councillors’ Acceptance of Office is updated for future use to comply with the July 2012 statutory order.    (REF:  Auditor Report PKF Annual Return 23 August 2017). The Committee expressed its thanks to the office. 

P17/032.5  Deposit Accounts:  The Committee was asked to consider the Briefing Note  and to agree to the distribution of held funds.  As new deposit accounts are required, a recommendation to Council is required.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE:  Additional Deposits and Investments 31 August 2017). A discussion took placeand the Committee raised a question on why the higher interest banks were not recommended. It was requested that the office do more research using the following criteria: UK banks preferred, deposit account only and evidence of community support.  

P17/033.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee was asked to note the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: 

P17/033.1  Street lighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE is continuing.  The outstanding matters are:   

Albourne Road:  3 column and 3 bracket lights 

Brighton Road:  9 bracket lights 

Kemps:  5 bracket lights 

Pitt Lane:  I column 

Hassocks Road:  1 column to complete Highfield Drive:  3 columns to paint 

The Council has been advised that SSE is waiting on UKPN to schedule the necessary works and, at this stage, no deadline has been offered.  The Committee were advised that Assistant Clerk, Paul Mayne was meeting with SSE on 15th September to go through all the outstanding matters.  

P17/034.  PROJECTS:  

P17/034.1  Action List 2017/18:  The Committee was asked to note the Action List for the Council Year 2017/18.  

(Ref:  ACTION LIST 2017/18 rev23  30 May 2017) 

P17/034.2  Highfield Drive Parkland:  The Committee was asked to note that Contract 1 – preparatory works  commenced on site 30 August 2017, with the installation of fences, gates and footpaths.  Separate orders have been issued for the production of 4 temporary signs (£466 + VAT) and the initial meadow-cut of grass (£200 + VAT).   

P17/035.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) P17/035.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

P17/035.2  Toilets:  Pitt Lane toilet:  Nothing to report. P17/035.3  Trees:   

  1. (1) Reeds Lane Recreation Ground (south):  A request was received from a resident adjacent to the Reeds Lane 

(South) Recreation Ground asking that two oak trees on the boundary should be trimmed back to avoid branches overhanging his property.  The trees were included in the condition survey of January 2016 and found to be in good condition.  The Parish Office has advised the resident that it has no objection to the branches being trimmed back, but the trees must not be damaged and the cost to be borne by the resident.  (Ref:  HP&SCPC email  30 August 2017  – Reeds Lane Rec trees)  

  1. (2) Reeds Lane Recreation Ground (north): A claim has been received from a member of the public regarding alleged damage to a vehicle caused by a broken tree branch relating to the north side recreation ground.  The matter has been referred to the Council’s insurers.  (Ref:  Fallen tree claim: email 1 September 2017) 

P17/035.4  Cemetery: A member of the public had commented on the broken memorials and frequency of the grass cutting during the Councillor Surgery on 12th August 2017. The Cemetery Manager is aware of the situation.  P17/035.5  Recreation Grounds:  

  1. (1) South Avenue Recreation Ground – Hurst Festival:  Hurst Festival have sought permission to stage a 

‘Treasured Transport Parade’ on the recreation ground on 17 September 2017.  This is similar to that run in previous years and a full risk assessment has been submitted.  This complies with the Council’s small event guidelines and was recommended that permission is granted.  (Hurst Festival  email  1 September 2017)   

RESOLVED:  Hurst Festival is granted permission to stage a small event on 17 September 2017.  

  1. (2) South Avenue Recreation Ground – Bowls Club:  The Club requested permission to dig a trial hole on 4 and 5 September 2017 in the recreation ground, adjacent to the pavilion, to test for a soakaway, and the Parish Office agreed.  (HP&SCPC email 1 September 2017). The Committee were advised the hole has been dug and the grass replaced.  P17/035.6  Waste bins.  Nothing to report. 

P17/035.7  Buildings:  Nothing to report. 

P17/035.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

P17/035.9  Village Centre bookings:  Nothing to report.   

P17/035.10  Village Garden: Nothing to report.   

P17/035.11  Highways:  The resurfacing of Cuckfield Road was completed around 18 August 2017.   

P17/036.  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a Customer log of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45 pm    Chairman  

Related Posts