Dear Members of the Council,
Council Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Council to be held on Thursday 23 July 2020 at 7.30pm using Microsoft Teams.
Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the virtual meeting using Microsoft Teams. If you wish to attend, please email the firstname.lastname@example.org before 4pm on 23 July 2020 to be sent an electronic invitation.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council Friday 17 July 2020
- Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of Interest: To receive and record any declarations of interest.
3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting of the Council: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 25 June 2020 Council meeting.
4. Adjournment for Questions from the Public: To consider adjourning the meeting, to receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Orders.
5. Reports from Other Authorities: To receive reports from representatives of other authorities:
5.1 West Sussex County Council County Local Committee (WSCC)
5.2 Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC)
5.3 Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC) and Sussex Association of Local Councils (SALC)
6. Committee, Working Group and Panel Minutes: To receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations of the:
6.1 Highways and Cycleways Working Group (8 June 2020) See item 7 below.
6.2 Planning & Environment Committee (2 July 2020) No recommendations for Council.
6.3 Estates and Facility Management (9 July 2020) No recommendations for Council.
6.4 Finance & Governance Committee (16 July 2020) Recommendation for Council. See item 8 below.
7. Speed Indicator Devise and 30mph Gateway Signage: To consider the principle of:
7.1.1 purchasing a speed indicator devise (SID) for use by the Parish Council only, at a cost of approximately £2,500 + VAT or to budget for it for 2021/22. The Parish Council currently shares use of a SID with Bolney and other local Parish Councils; and
7.1.2 agreeing to the fixing of 30 mph signs to the Village Gateways on Wickham Hill.
RECOMMENDATION: Council RESOLVES to agree to:
i) purchasing a speed indicator devise (SID) for use by the Parish Council only, at a cost of approximately £2,500 + VAT, subject to available funds; and
ii) the principle of fixing 30 mph signs to the Village Gateways on Wickham Hill.
8. Budget Review
The Finance & Governance Committee met on 16 July 2020 (via MS Teams) and reviewed the Parish Council’s first quarter’s income and expenditure position in respect of the impact of COVID-19 on its finances. Four projects have been identified previously as discretionary, and expenditure should be delayed until the financial position is more positive. These projects were the additional Allotment standpipes, the Cemetery Chapel redecoration, the Court Bushes Club Room decking and the Court Bushes sinking fund allocation. The office furniture project is still considered a high priority scheme by the Committee.
The issue of the award of grants by the Community Engagement Committee to outside organisations was also discussed. It was noted that the applications were from organisations that added a great deal of value to the wellbeing of the local community. However in some cases, in this particular year, the Parish Council may need to consider awarding grants only to those organisations who would not survive into next year without the Parish Council’s support. This may require the Community Engagement Committee to review the balance sheet reserves of these organisations, who may have more reserves than the Parish Council. The Committee agreed to recommend to Council that any applications for grants are discussed by the Community Engagement Committee and only those that are critical to award this year, are recommended to Council for approval.
RECOMMENDATION: Council RESOLVES to:
- exercise caution when asked to approve expenditure on discretionary projects and grants recommended by Committees;
- ask the Community Engagement Committee to prioritise grant applications from organisations that may not survive the year without the Parish Council’s support by examining their reserves; and to recommend its grant awards to Council for a decision.
9. MSDC Applaud Awards and MP’s Covid Community Champion Awards – Call for Nominations: To consider nominations to be put forward for two separate award schemes, the MSDC Applause Awards and Andrew Griffith MP’s Covid Community Champions awards. To agree to delegate responsibility to the Community Engagement Committee at it 13 August 2020 meeting, for the final agreement and submission of entries.
RECOMMENDATION: Council RESOLVES to nominate representatives for awards to the Community Engagement Committee for the final agreement and submission of entries.
10. Information Items, Correspondence Received and Requests: To note any items.
The council is asked to RESOLVE that in view of the confidential nature of the following item, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
11. Chantry Stables: To consider a recommendation from Finance & Governance Committee of 16 July 2020 concerning the Hurst Community Charity Lease of the Chantry Stables.