Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning Committee to be held on Monday 29th January 2024 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 23rd January 2024
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Helen Bedford (Vice-Chair) Cllr Lindsay Thompson, Cllr Mark Froud, Cllr Susan Dyke, Cllr Sarah Baldey.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest.
3. Minutes of the Planning Committee held on 8th January 2024: To receive and accept the minutes.
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning Committee held on 8th January 2024: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P18/079: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Flints 11 Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XT. DM/24/0037. 2 Yew Trees – Fell. Tree Surgery.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Garden Cottage New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9BB. SDNP/24/00168/HOUS. Retrospective application for the enclosure of equipment store attached to barn, with proposed timber cladding to southern elevation.
7.2 157 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RT. DM/24/0134. Proposed ground floor rear and side extension, first floor infill extension, loft conversion and internal renovation.
7.3 174 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SD. DM/24/0122. Part single storey / part two storey rear extension to a semi-detached house.
7.4 3 Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XT. DM/24/0149. Proposed single storey rear extension and the relocation of the existing garage door and window.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SC PC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Tennis Courts And Hut South Avenue Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/2846. Proposed variation of condition 3 of planning application 14/01793/FUL to allow the use of the tennis court floodlights on Saturdays and Sundays from 0800hrs until 2100hrs (in addition to the existing permitted hours of Monday to Friday from 0800hrs until 2100hrs plus a maximum of five days per calendar year when the floodlights may be used until 2200hrs) (Amended description 15.11.2023).
b) 48 Kemps Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UE. DM/23/2847. Proposed variation to condition 1, 3 and 4 of planning application DM/23/2134 to replace the drawings 02 and 03A with 02A and 03B (Amended description 02/01/2024)
c) 6 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RU.DM/23/3023. (T1) Holmoak- raise crown up to 4m and reduce overhanging branches to property at the rear up to 2m back to boundary. (T2) Holmoaks, multi stemmed trees alongside same boundary – raise crown up to 4m and reduce overhanging branches to property at rear by up to 2m.
d) 20 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AT. DM/23/2943. New dormer to rear, plus new garage.
e) Applegarth Halton Shaws Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QR. DM/23/3120. Proposed rear and side extension, roof and first floor extension to the southern side, dormer windows above the existing integral garage and existing windows following consent under application DM/23/1325. Addition of rooflight to front elevation, window added in utility room, and facias/soffits to be grey.
f) Garden Cottage New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9BB. SDNP/23/04451/HOUS. Replacement of existing garage/provision of hard standing associated with existing greenhouse/timber summer room. (Decision by SDNP)
g) Plot 1 – 4, The Hub Land South Of A2300 Gatehouse Lane Goddards Green West Sussex. DM/23/2996. Variation of condition 5 relating to planning application DM/22/2676 to amend the list of approved planning drawings to reflect the as-built development. (H&SC PC recommended refusal)
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) 13 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RP. DM/23/3001. Erection of first floor rear extension.
(H&SC PC recommended permission).
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) 174 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SD.DM/23/2977.Replacing a grass verge with hardstanding to improve access into the driveway of a house.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
a) Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. AP/24/0002. Removal of Condition No:14 of planning permission DM/22/0204.
b) Flat 4 Old Mill House Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. Proposed Conservatory to be built on front balcony. Amended plans received 21.07.2023 showing revised design to first floor extension. Amended location plan received 26.07.2023.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.