Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning Committee to be held on Monday 2nd October at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 26th September 2023
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Helen Bedford (Vice-Chair) Cllr Lindsay Thompson, Cllr Mark Froud, Cllr Susan Dyke.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest.
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 4th September 2023: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning Committee held on 4th September 2023: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Wych House Halton Shaws Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QR. DM/23/2403. Copper Beech – reduce crown by 2 meters. Hazel – reduce branches overhanging drive and steps in Halton Shaws by 2 meters. Holly – reduce crown by 1 meter. Lift up overhanging branches by 1 meter. Aborvitae (Pine) – reduce branches overhanging drive and steps in Halton Shaws by 2 meters. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.2 Shepherds Cottage Stuccles Farm Twineham Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JF. DM/23/2437.
Existing barn used for domestic ancillary use. Building works carried out to facilitate continued domestic ancillary use. Repairs and maintenance to oak structure, render and brickwork. Introduction of windows, doors, floor and services to make the domestic ancillary use thermally viable. Lawful Development Certificate – Existing.
6.3 14 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AT. DM/23/2462. Conversion of garage and installation of new hobby room. Lawful Development Certificate.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 West Town Farm Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JN. DM/23/2071. Change of use from agricultural field to a dog exercise field.
7.2 43 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/23/1302. Sub-divide the existing dwelling provide into 2 semi-detached residential dwellings (Amended plans received 14 July 2023 showing parking spaces and access) (Corrected plans received 14 August 2023) (Amended plans received 4 and 5 September 2023
7.3 Whistlers Abberton Field Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QD. DM/23/2297. Replace existing pool house, construction of new extensions with associated internal alterations, installation of new rooflights and PV/Solar Panels, replace existing concrete tile roof with clay tile, re-configure existing hard landscaping and a new boundary fence.
7.4 34 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RG. DM/23/2348. Change of use from the existing part-Class C3 and part-Class E to the proposed Class E, and replacement shopfront.
7.5 27 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AB. DM/23/2407. Two storey side extension. Rear single storey extension. Loft conversion with dormer roof.
7.6 62 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NP. DM/23/2011. Installation of new external wall and window to existing carport and garden store. Change of use from a carport / garden store to a working from home office and annex. (Amended description, amended plans and additional information received 18.09.2023)
7.7 Old Danworth Cottage Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LN. DM/23/1790. Proposed two storey extension. Re-validated due to submission of the Heritage Statement.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SC PC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) 148 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SD. DM/23/1885. Part single storey part two storey rear extension. (H&SC PC recommended refusal)
b) Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/1745. Proposed works to increase the height of the roof together with dormer windows to front and rear elevations and a two-storey extension to the rear. (H&SC PC recommended refusal)
c) 31 Nursery Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9WA. DM/23/1725. Box Elder – reduce height and lateral branches by 1.5 – 2m back to previous cut points and remove epicormic growth on main trunk.
d) Danny Lodge New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BA. SDNP/23/02923/HOUS. Outbuilding (demolish 2 existing outbuildings). (Permission granted by SDNP. H&SC PC recommended refusal)
e) The Old Ride High Hatch Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LH. DM/23/1873. Proposed garden shed.
f) 5 St Lawrence Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SH. DM/23/1917. Single storey side extension and new rooflights (amended proposed plans received 23/08). (H&SC PC recommended refusal)
g) Park Cottage Manor Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UL. DM/23/2000. T1 and T2 Cherry – Crown reduction by 1m.
h) High Wickham 63 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/23/1976. Sycamore – reduce by 6m but leave the main trunk (3m in height). Lime – pollard.
i) Campions West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/23/2061. T1 Malus – remove branches overhanging house roof T2 Magnolia – to crown thin by 25% (height to remain the same).
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) 20 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AT. DM/23/1894. Two storey front extension, single storey rear extension, new dormer, and garage to side.
b) Flat 4 Old Mill House Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/23/0525. Proposed conservatory to be built on front balcony. Amended plans received 21.07.2023 showing revised design to first floor extension. Amended location plan received 26.07.2023. (H&SC PC recommended permission)
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) Oaklands Park Farm High Hatch Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LH. DM/23/1986. Conversion and extension of barn to create four-bedroom dwelling.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.