Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning Committee to be held on Monday 7th August 2023 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 1st August 2023
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Helen Bedford (Vice-Chair) Cllr Lindsay Thompson, Cllr Mark Froud, Cllr Susan Dyke. (one vacancy)
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 10th July 2023: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning Committee held on 10th July 2023: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Applegarth Halton Shaws Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QR. DM/23/1786. T1 Sycamore – Crown reduction 4m in height 2m in width. T2 Cypress – Fell. T3 Row of Mixed Trees – Cut back to boundary. T4 Oak – Crown lift 3m. T5 Cypress – Cut back from roadside. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.2 The Old Ride High Hatch Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LH. DM/23/1873. Proposed garden shed.
6.3 5 St Lawrence Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SH. DM/23/1917. Single storey side extension and new rooflights.
6.4 High Wickham 63 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/23/1976. Sycamore – reduce by 6m but leave the main trunk (3m in height). Lime – pollard. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/1746. Variation of condition no 2 relating to planning application DM/22/2988 – to have an extension of time for a further 9 months in order for the details of the requested 1.2m close board fence to be altered.
7.2 Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/1745. Proposed works to increase the height of the roof together with dormer windows to front and rear elevations and a two storey extension to the rear.
7.3 Twin Oaks Gatehouse Lane Goddards Green Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LE. DM/23/0887. Demolition of existing garage, workshop and pool house. Erection of a three bedroom detached dwelling and 2×4 bed detached dwellings to include 2 timber frame carports and a new access driveway.
7.4 Streams Farm Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/23/1738. Conversion of an existing agricultural barn to residential use. Prior Not. – Agricultural to Dwelling
7.5 Old Danworth Cottage Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LN. DM/23/1790. Proposed two storey extension.
7.6 Hickstead Ltd All England Jumping Course London Road Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NS. DM/23/1813. Development of three barns to contain permanent loose boxes for competitors, a storage barn for hay and fodder with associated work.
7.7 46 Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QW. DM/23/1843. Internal alterations and revised fenestration. Listed Building Consent.
7.8 Danny Lodge New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BA. SDNP/23/02923/HOUS. Outbuilding (demolish 2 existing outbuildings).
7.9 148 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SD. DM/23/1885. Part single storey part two storey rear extension
7.10 20 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AT. DM/23/1894. Two storey front extension, single storey rear extension, new dormer and garage to side.
7.11 Flat 4 Old Mill House Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/23/0525. Proposed conservatory to be built on front balcony. Amended plans received 21.07.2023 showing revised design to first floor extension. Amended location plan received 26.07.2023.
7.12 43 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/23/1302. Sub-divide the existing dwelling provide into 2 semi-detached residential dwellings (Amended plans received 14 July 2023 showing parking spaces and access)
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SC PC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) 7 Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QH. DM/23/1328. T1 Ecalyptus fell. T2 Magnolia grandiflora reduce crown by 1-1.5m.
b) 174 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SD. DM/23/1375. Proposed single storey rear extension extending beyond the rear wall of the original house by 6m, to a maximum height of 3m and the height of the eaves to 3m.
c) 17A Kemps Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UF. DM/23/1300. Loft conversion.
d) Applegarth Halton Shaws Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QR. DM/23/1325. Proposed rear and side extension, roof and first floor extension to the southern side, dormer windows above the existing integral garage and existing windows to be replaced with grey framed windows.
e) 1 Oakfield London Road Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HT. DM/23/0337. Conversion of existing double garage into habitable room and erection of replacement detached double garage (Revised plans received 22.06.2023)
f) 7 South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/1446. Proposed removal of chimney stack.
g) Hurst Wickham Rise College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/23/1482. Construction of a detached outbuilding as a workshop and garden store. Construction of an artificial turf cricket wicket and net enclosure, with associated hard and soft landscaping works to locally reduce the existing ground levels and provide timber retaining structures (part-retrospective).
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
No notifications received.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/1303. Detached garage to front of property.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.