Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning Committee to be held on Monday 30th October at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 24th October 2023
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Helen Bedford (Vice-Chair) Cllr Lindsay Thompson, Cllr Mark Froud, Cllr Susan Dyke, Cllr Sarah Baldey.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest.
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 2nd October 2023: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning Committee held on 2nd October 2023: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Trinity Court Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/2532. Oak (T1) – reduce crown by 2m, raise crown to 4m due to excessive shading. Tree Surgery.
6.2 166 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TE. DM/23/2531. Oak (T1) – removal of declining branches on north east side back to stem / sound wood – reduce remainder of crown by 2m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.3 Carys West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/23/2530. T1 Magnolia – reduce crown by 1m and remove primary limb on north side. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.4 Fairhaven Abberton Field Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QD. DM/23/2549. T1 Lawson’s Cypress x 3 – Fell. T2 Oak – Raise base of canopy by 1m and remove lowest branch extending south west over access road. Reduce canopy height by 8m and reduce canopy bulges next to house and in south and westerly directions by up to 3m. T3 Silver Birch – Reduce canopy height by up to 8m and reduce longest side branches by up to 3m. G1 Ash x 4 – Fell. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.5 Stanhope 123 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SY. DM/23/2557. Bay (T1) – pollard at approx 2m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.6 55 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/23/2590. T1 Ash – Fell. T2 Oak – Thin by 30%, reduce crown sides by 1m and from the top 1.5m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.7 152 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TD. DM/23/2667. HPBirch Tree (T1) – Reduce crown by 1 metre. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.8 122 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/23/2666. Oak (T1) reduce crown by 2m.
Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.9 11 Park Cottages Manor Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UW. DM/23/2664. Cherry (T1) – fell.
Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.10 54 And 56 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AH. DM/23/2672. Proposed joint porch.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Pickhams Cottage Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/22/3857. Conversion and extension of existing barn to form a residential dwelling with swimming pool (amended plans received 19/09/2023 and 25/09/2023)
7.2 Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/2474. Variation of condition nos 2 and 3 of planning application DM/23/1745 – To change the materials from Heritage Clay tiles to slate tiles.
7.3 Northbrooks Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LW.DM/23/2503. Demolition of 2 No. outbuildings and replacement garage outbuilding.
7.4 Freeman Brothers 126 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PX. DM/23/2432. Rear ground, first and second floor extensions with enlarged rear dormer window. Change of use on first and second floors (to change Class E -Commercial, Business and Service to Class C3 Dwelling house. New re-surfacing to rear enclosed service yard and provision of new parking spaces + waste storage.
7.5 Little Lower Ease Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/23/2506. Conversion of disused barn to a three-bedroom residential dwelling within existing garden and expanded parking area.
7.6 Little Lower Ease Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/23/2507. Conversion of disused barn to a three-bedroom residential dwelling within existing garden and expanded parking area. Listed Building Consent.
7.7 3 Layton Fields Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YH. DM/23/2553. Erection of timber building in the rear garden of the property and provision of door at front of existing car port to create a garage.
7.8 The Manor House 3 Albert Silsby Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YG. DM/23/2505. Construction of a hard porous surface tennis court with a 2.75-metre-high chain link fencing surround.
7.9 Little Pakyns Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ET. DM/23/2480. Proposed demolition of existing extensions and replacement of a new single storey extension, including internal and external alterations.
7.10 Plots 1-4 The Hub Land South Of A2300 Gatehouse Lane Goddards Green West Sussex. DM/23/2684. Two types (A&B) of non-illuminated totems. There will be a total of 8 totems across the site at vehicular and pedestrian entrances. Advertisement Application.
7.11 138 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SD. DM/23/2670. First floor extension.
7.12 Hickstead Ltd All England Jumping Course London Road Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NS.
DM/23/1813. Development of three barns to contain permanent loose boxes for competitors, a storage barn for hay and fodder with associated work. Application re-validated due to the addition of the Heritage Statement.
7.13 Former Police Office Manor Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UL. DM/23/2702. The alteration, extension and adaptation of existing single storey redundant police office unit to form proposed detached two storey two-bedroom dwelling with off road parking for a single vehicle.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SC PC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Gaybrook High Hatch Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LH. DM/23/2003. Proposed rear dormer loft conversion.
b) 48 Kemps Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UE. DM/23/2134. Variation of condition No: 1 of planning application DM/21/2027 – to enable the substitution of plans to amend plan ref: 03 proposed elevations to be replaced with plan ref: 03A proposed elevations.
c) Whistlers Abberton Field Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QD. DM/23/2124. Conifer (T1) – Fell. Sycamore (T2 and T3) – Reduce canopy height by up to 10m and reduce branches overhanging by approx 2m away from roof. Sycamore (T4) – Remove branch at fence level to avoid interference with fruit trees and hedge Line. Blue Spruce (T5) – Raise canopy by approximately 2m. Group of Sycamore and Holly (G1) – Reduce branches overhanging garden back to hedge line for health of hedge, shrubs, and lawn. Group of Sycamore and Ash (G2) – Remove 4 lowest branches.
d) 119 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SY. DM/23/2168. Variegated Thuja (T1) – fell.
e) 2 Beards Folly Cottages New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BD. SDNP/23/00357/FUL. Conversion of stable block to a one-bedroom holiday accommodation unit. (Permission granted by SDNP). H&SC PC recommended refusal.
d) 140 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/23/2166. Proposed side extension to replace existing conservatory and internal alterations.
e) Oldways West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/23/2177. 1 x Tulip Tree – T1 – To prune by 3 metres to prevent more limbs from snapping out. 2 x Apple Trees – T2 and T3 – To re-reduce by 1.5 metres.
f) West Town Farm Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JN. DM/23/2071. Change of use from agricultural field to a dog exercise field.
g) 14 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AT. DM/23/2462. Conversion of garage and installation of new hobby room.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/2001. Removal of Condition No:14 of planning permission DM/22/0204.
b) 43 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/23/2320. Non-Material Amendment to DM/23/0338, for the reconfiguring of internal walls, repositioning internal staircase, repositioning kitchen.
c) 43 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/23/1302. Sub-divide the existing dwelling provide into 2 semi-detached residential dwellings (Amended plans received 14 July 2023 showing parking spaces and access) (Corrected plans received 14 August 2023) (Amended plans received 4 and 5 September 2023.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
No notifications received.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received.
9. Draft Budget 2024/25 for F,G&E: To review and assess the Committee’s budget requirements for 2024/25 and submit the detail to the Finance, Governance & Estates Committee on 7th December 2023.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.