Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 1 October 2020 at 7.30pm via Microsoft Teams Video Conferencing.
Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the virtual meeting using Microsoft Teams. If you wish to attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before 4pm on 1 October 2020 to be sent an electronic invitation.
Sarah Groom CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 25th September 2020
Committee Membership: Cllr Martin Machan (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr David Evans, Cllr Stephen Hand, Cllr Julia Shorrocks, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Peter Griffiths.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To receive and note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 3 September 2020: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 3 September 2020: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked to consider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Contego Safety Wearmaster House Malthouse Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LA. DM/20/3137. Variation of Conditions 1 and 4 relating to planning reference DM/19/5177 to amend the layout of the development and to provide an amended acoustic assessment.
7.2 14 Layton Fields Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YH. DM/20/3045. Construction of a garden building for home office use.
7.3 Langton Mead Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint BN6 9ET. DM/20/3175. Retrospective – Construction of new timber framed single garage with hardstanding.
7.4 Apple Garth 32A College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AQ. DM/20/3385. Rowan Tree – Fell
7.5 Naldretts Farm Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/20/3040. Demolition of existing fire damaged building and erection of replacement dwelling. Repair and re-build of Piggeries and Barn. Re-build barn to form garage/workshop/store.
7.6 38 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TA. DM/20/3448. T1 Sycamore – fell
7.7 4 St Lawrence Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SH. DM/20/3420. Two storey extension with dormers to the side elevations, juliet balcony to the front and recessed balcony to the rear.
7.8 94 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AJ. DM/20/2647. (Amended plans received 17/09/2020) Two storey rear extension, first floor side extension, dormer and roof windows, removal of front bay windows with remodelling of front elevation and external alterations.
7.9 The Old Flower Field Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EF. DM/20/3340. Erection of 3 x wooden camping pods to provide overnight tourist accommodation.
7.10 Brookside Cottage Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EF. DM/20/3450. Garage conversion to office and utility space. Replacement of existing garage doors with glass doors and glazing. Installation of front and rear roof lights.
7.11 1 Oakfield London Road Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HT. DM/20/2621. Conversion of existing double garage into habitable room and erection of replacement detached double garage (Corrected plan received 18.09.2020 showing consistent roof design)
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1. Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) 40 The Grange Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9FD. DM/20/2190. Conversion of existing garage to family room, formation of permeable parking area off existing drop kerb.
b) 1 Springbank Cottages Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EX. DM/20/2430. T1 Mixed broad leaved and coniferous trees – Crown lift to give ground clearance of 2m and trim back branches clear of cables and outbuildings by 1.5m. Coppice one hazel to promote growth of Yew tree.
c) 97 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AE. DM/20/2434. Single storey rear extension. (Amended plans received 27.07.2020)
d) Big Edgerley College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QY. DM/20/2454. Construction of an outdoor swimming pool and associated hard and soft landscaping works. Alterations to existing fenestration to the rear (south) elevation.
e) 17 Lynton Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AN. DM/20/2511. First floor dormer side extension.(HPP&SC PC recommended refusal)
f) Bungalow 2 Valley Farm Reeds Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JQ. DM/20/2550. Construction of a replacement dwelling; a new, contemporary chalet bungalow with associated hard and soft landscaping works.
g) 142 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/20/2833. T1 Cherry – Reduce crown by 1m. T2 Hawthorn – Reduce crown by 1.5m.
h) 7 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/20/2201. Single storey rear extension.
i) Mews Cottage 79 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RE. DM/20/1698. Demolition of porch
j) Amberley Farm Bishopstone Lane Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AR. DM/20/2696. Discharge of Planning Conditions No:’s 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 relating to Planning application DM/18/1268/ful
k) Leigh Cottage Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/20/1832. Demolish one block of 4 stables and one block containing hay/feed stores to be replaced with two new blocks containing the same number of stables (4 in number) and stores together with a washdown area and horse solarium.
l) 3 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TT. DM/20/2925. (T1) Sycamore – crown lift to 6m. (T2) Macrocarpa – remove lowest limb growing over the garden and indian bean tree. (T3) Blue Cedar – remove two lowest branches hanging over the wall and pond.
i) High Wickham 63 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/20/2871. See tree schedule and plan.
m) Turrets Malthouse Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LA. DM/20/2632. Connect the existing converted garage to the main house and erect a detached garage.
n) 137 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AF. DM/20/2847. Proposed first floor extension to form additional bedroom and en-suite.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) The Old Barn Southbrooks Farm Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LW. DM/20/2509. Demolition of existing buildings and erection of a two bedroom dwelling house. (HPP&SC PC recommended permission)
8.3. Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
9. Budget Setting for 2021/22: To consider the requirements for the Planning &Environment budget for 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022. This will allow the Finance & Governance Committee to consider a first draft budget on 19 November 2020 and a second draft on 10 December, which will result in a recommendation to Council for approval 17 December 2020.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view. /
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004) and the Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.