Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 27th October 2022 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 21st October 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr John Lowman Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford, (two vacancies).
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 29th September 2022: To receive and accept the minutes.
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 29th September 2022: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Apollo Sun Club The Weald Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EZ. DM/22/2970. T5- Ash – Pollard split tree to approx 6m, 1 x Oak – Reduce limb by approx 3m to reduce overhang and remove Ash crown. Tree Surgery.
6.2 10 Lynton Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AN. DM/22/3011. Single storey side extension.
6.3 92 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/3061. Eucalyptus (T1) – pollard at 3m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.4 36 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AQ. DM/22/3062. Lime (T1) pollard at approx 7m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.5 5 Chestnut Grove Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SS. DM/22/2826. 1x Oak (T16) – Reduce crown in height by 6m and spread by 3m. Tree Surgery.
6.6 Allingtons 127 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SY. DM/22/3213. 1x Purple Plum (T1) – to fell. 1x Red Norway Maple (T2) – Reduce crown by 2m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.7 35 Manor Gardens Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UG. DM/22/3144. Loft conversion, new rooflights and patio door. Lawful Development Certificate.
6.8 119 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SY. DM/22/3217. Thuja (T1) – raise crown over roadd to 5m, Birch (T2) – reduce height by 2m, reduce crown by up to 1m, Magnolia (T3) – reduce crown by 1m, raise crown over drive to 2m, Irish yew (T4) – reduce height by 2m, Hazel (T5) – remove stem closest to shed back to main coppice stool, Hazel – (T6) – reduce crown by 1m, Birch – (T7,T8 & T9) – reduce crown by 2m, Leyland Cypress (T10) – reduce crown on Eastern side by up to 1m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Fourwinds College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/22/2973. 1.5 storey side extension. (one full floor with rooms in the roof space)
7.2 The Old House Mill Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HL. DM/22/2987. Proposed private equestrian development of four stables, hay store, wash down bay and track/feed room.
7.3 The Cottage South Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YD. DM/22/2982. Two-storey side extension.
7.4 Shepherds Cottage Stuccles Farm Twineham Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JF. DM/22/2974. Retrospective application for retention of a new shed to house tractor and agricultural machinery. Hardstanding to existing field access and agricultural machinery parking area and paths associated with agricultural use.
7.5 Shepherds Cottage Stuccles Farm Twineham Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JF. DM/22/3091. Retrospective planning application for the retention of a new boundary wall and drive access position with associated gate posts and gates.
7.6 Three Trees 29 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/22/3073. Enlargement of doors to rear façade and all associated works.
7.7 Leigh Cottage Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/22/2005. Rear and side single storey extension, new entrance porch and 4 No. number dormer windows to main roof. (Revised plans)
7.8 14 St Lawrence Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SH. DM/22/2671. Proposed rear extension and loft conversion. (amended plans received 11/10).
7.9 Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/22/2988. Retrospective application for a new dwelling including minor alterations, reduced ridge height, small increase in eaves height, revised brick gable design and revised landscaping and drainage details.
7.10 Former Police Office Manor Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UL. DM/22/3082. The alteration, extension and adaptation of existing single storey redundant Police Office unit to form proposed detached two storey two bedroom dwelling off road parking for a single vehicle. Revised Sustainability Statement received on 17.10.2022.
7.11 19 Berrylands Farm Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XH. DM/22/3186. The change of use from Garage to a reception room with internal door access to the main house. Infill of existing garage front door opening with brickwork and casement window all founded on a new concrete footing. Infilling of the entrance brickwall enclosure with a closed porchway with glazed new front door and window with the reuse of the existing lean-to roof.
7.12 18 The Grange Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9FD. DM/22/3037. Lawful Development Certificate application for a flat roof dormer extension to the rear of the house with a balcony.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/22/2006. Retrospective application for a new dwelling including minor alterations, reduced ridge height, small increase in eaves height, revised brick gable design and revised landscaping details.
b) Streams Farm Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/22/2422. Demolish existing dwelling and replace with a two-storey dwelling.
c) 12 Lynton Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AN. DM/22/2741. Loft conversion.
d) St Lukes Roman Catholic Church Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/22/1979. Proposed change of use of place of worship to 1 dwelling with external changes to fenestration plus removal of a section of the existing roof to create a garden area. Amended plans received 23.08.2022 showing alterations to internal layout and proposed installation of roof lights and roof lantern.
e) Squirrels Gate Abberton Field Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QD. DM/22/2707. Lime (T1) – remove first three limbs on Western side (overhanging garage) back to the main stem.
f) 24 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/22/2544. First floor loft conversion with 3 front facing dormers. Proposed single storey rear extension, partial garage conversion, and front-facing porch.
g) Erskine Lodge 2 Albert Silsby Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YG. DM/22/2666. Single storey rear extension forming additional family room.
h) 17 Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QH. DM/22/2687. Proposed new first floor window to rear elevation. Internal alterations to first floor.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) Alders Farm Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EE. DM/22/2468. The retention of an existing temporary dwelling for a further temporary period at Alders Farm for the use in the proper running of the farm during the redevelopment of the existing barn into a residential dwelling for the owner.
b) 18 The Grange Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9FD. DM/22/2336. Retrospective loft conversion with dormer window and balcony.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) Box House Poultry Farm Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ES. DM/22/0541. Variation of condition 3 attached to planning references HP/044/79, 07/1768/FUL and 14/02271/FUL which specifies the buildings shall be used for storage purposes only for Benfell Farm produce only and to allow the buildings to be for storage, distribution, office and retail in relation to St Peter and St James Hospice and workshops for upcycling furniture to sell in shops. The site would be in use between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
b) Hornsdene Farm House Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/22/1808. Demolition of domestic storage barn and erection of replacement building with link to existing house, two-storey rear extension to the north elevation of the main dwelling and associated works.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received.
9. Draft Budget 2023/24 for F&G: To review and assess the Committee’s budget requirements for 2023/24 and submit the detail to the Finance & Governance Committee on 8th December 2022.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.