Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 2nd February 2023 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 27th January 2023
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr John Lowman Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford, (two vacancies).
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 5th January 2023: To receive and accept the minutes.
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 5th January 2023: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 17A Kemps Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UF. DM/23/0076. Proposed loft conversion. Lawful Development Certificate.
6.2 Tibbiwell St Georges Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QT. DM/22/3793. Variation of conditions 2 and 3 of planning application DM/21/4306 – to increase the height of the extension, reduce its depth and width, change the materials and remove the sun shade. (Revised description agreed 04.01.2023)
6.3 Ladymead Mews Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/0108. T001 Sycamore – raise canopy by removing 6 lowest branches and thin by 20%. T002 Sycamore – crown lift by removing 6 low branches, overall crown reduce by 2 metres, sever ivy at base of tree. T003 Sycamore – pollard to previous pollard points. T004 English Yew – overall crown reduce by 1.5 metre. T005 Common Beech – remove 2 small internal branches at approx 4m from ground level. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.4 2 Berrylands Farm Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XH. DM/22/3618. (Amended Plans received 24/1/2023) Variation of Condition 2 of planning approval DM/21/3811 – To include minor modification to the elevations of the approved extension by substitution of the approved drawings as listed in DM/21/3811, with the proposed amended drawings submitted with this application.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Land West Of Burgess Hill Between The A273 And A2300 Burgess Hill West Sussex. DM/23/0023. Variation of condition 5 (Approved Plans) relating to Reserved Matters application DM/20/0254 – Updates to design of road network, road infrastructure and attenuation basins.
7.2 Applegarth Halton Shaws Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QR. DM/22/3749. (Amended description 09/01/2022) Proposed rear and side extension, roof and first floor extension to the southern side and dormer windows above the existing integral garage.
7.3 The Cottage South Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YD. DM/22/2982. Two-storey side extension (Tree Report received 09.01.2023).
7.4 113 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/22/3798. Proposed Change of Use to a micro brewery / tap room with a proposed extraction fan to the north elevation. Window to be blocked up in the store room to the rear.
7.5 12 Orchard Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UB. DM/23/0066. Proposed new window at first floor level, side elevation.
7.6 Pickhams Cottage Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/22/3857. Conversion of existing barn to residential dwelling
7.7 24 Kemps Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UF. DM/22/3505. Proposed new dwelling. Amendments to existing dwelling to include new pitched dormers to front and rear, removal and repositioning of existing windows and incorporating attached store in kitchen. (Revised plans received 03.01.2023, 06.01.2023 and 16.01.2023)
7.8 Bridgers Farm Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HA. DM/22/3064. Change of use of existing commercial buildings and construction of new replacement buildings to form flexible commercial use with associated external alterations to buildings.
7.9 Danny Lodge New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BA. SDNP/23/00043/HOUS. Demolition of 3 outbuildings. Replacement of a single sustainable outbuilding.
7.10 27 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AB. DM/23/0162.Two storey side extension to the north, re-building of garage structure to south. Rear single storey extension with roof terrace over. Loft conversion with dormer roof.
7.11 Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/0189. Removal of Condition 14 of planning application DM/22/0204 relating to The Meadows (Unit C).
8. Licensing Applications: The committee is asked to consider the following and make a recommendation to the Licensing Authority:
8.1 Hot Tub Brewing Ltd, 113 High Street, Hurstpierpoint, BN6 9PU. LI/23/0110. New Premises Licence Application
9. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SC PC recommendation, except where noted).
9.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Church House High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TS. DM/22/2039. Internal alterations and new external french doors to the rear elevation. (amended plans received 21/11)
b) Church House High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TS. DM/22/2042. Internal alterations and new external french doors to the rear elevation. (amended plans received 21/11). Listed Building Consent.
c) 53 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/22/3640. Beech Tree (T1)- Fell
d) Mansion House Bungalow High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RQ. DM/22/3576. Removal and replacement of section of boundary wall. Listed Building Consent.
e) Mansion House Bungalow High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RQ. DM/22/3575. Removal and replacement of section of boundary wall.
f) 35 Manor Gardens Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UG. DM/22/3596. Loft conversion, new rooflights and patio door.
g) Abberton House 6 Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QN. DM/22/3733. G1 Beech trees – reduce height by 5-6m back to previous pruning points.
h) 5 Chestnut Grove Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SS. DM/22/2826. 1x Oak (T16) – Reduce crown back to previous pruning points with a maximum of 1-1.5m.
i) Land To West Of Goldcrest Drive Sayers Meadow Sayers Common West Sussex. DM/22/2012. Erection of a 2 storey, 66 bed care home for older people with associated access, car parking and landscaping. (Additional drainage information and plans received 2nd September 2022). (Amended plans received 8th December 2022 showing a revised design and elevation treatments and amendments to parking area). (H&SC PC recommended refusal)
j) 157 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/22/3526. Apple Tree – Reduce crown by 1m and thin by 20%. Elder tree (T3) Pollard (amended description 19.01.23).
k) Plot 1 – 4, The Hub Land South Of A2300 Gatehouse Lane Goddards Green West Sussex. DM/22/2676. Application for approval of reserved matters on Plots 1-4 of landscape, appearance, layout and scale, to provide flexible employment units across use classes B1b, B1c, B2 and B8, with ancillary offices at The Hub, pursuant to permission DM/20/3614. (Amended Plans received on 01/12/2022 showing revised elevational treaments and additional landscaing information).
9.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) Wayside Manor Gardens Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UG. DM/22/3414. Demolish existing side conservatory and side extension. Erect a single storey 2 bedroom detached bungalow in the existing side garden to Wayside, together with an extended hard standing for an off-street parking space and a new front boundary wall.
(H&SC PC recommended approval)
9.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
No notifications received.
9.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received.
10. Review of the Planning & Environment Action Plan: The committee is asked to agree that the two items remain on the Action Plan and are reviewed/followed up through the Sustainability Working Group. (see attached)
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.