Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 30th September 2021 at 7.30pm, to be held at Court Bushes Community Hub, off Willow Way, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Please note all COVID guidelines must be adhered to:
1. Wear masks on entry and until seated. Masks must be worn if not seated.
2. Use hand sanitiser.
3. Follow the one-way system, clockwise around the room.
4. Open doors and windows to allow air to circulate.
Sarah Groom CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 24th September 2021
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr David Evans, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Peter Griffiths, Cllr Helen Bedford.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To receive and note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 2nd September 2021: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 2nd September 2021: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 The Willows New House Farm Twineham Lane Twineham Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5NP. DM/21/3129.Proposedsingle storey side extension. Insertion of new French doors into existing front wall.
6.2 65 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NR. DM/21/3138. Single storey rear extension.
6.3 8 Trinity Court Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XS. DM/21/3181. Proposed rear conservatory.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 East Lodge Farm Malthouse Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9LA. DM/21/1118. Erection of Class E(g) building to include a mix of office, research and development and industrial processes with carpark, new vehicle access onto Malthouse Lane and associated landscaping. ‘Corrected Preliminary Ecological Appraisal received 2 September 2021 and corrected Sustainability Statement received 8 September.’ The committee will only be discussing the findings of the report by MSDC Ecological Consultant. (see attached).
7.2 Pakyns Garden Cottage Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ET. DM/21/3058. Removal of condition 2 of planning permission HP/047/93.
7.3 21 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RP. DM/21/3124. (T2) Norway Spruce – fell to ground. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7.4 Plot 4, The Hub Land South Of A2300 Gatehouse Lane Goddards Green West Sussex. DM/21/3032. Application for approval of reserved matters of landscape, appearance, layout and scale, to provide flexible employment units across use classes B1c, B2 and B8 at Plot 4, pursuant to permission DM/20/3614.
7.5 Tanglewood Abberton Field Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QD. DM/21/3223. T1 – Yew, reduce crown by 1m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7.6 1 Sandfield Cottages New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint BN6 9BA. SDNP/21/04659/HOUS. Proposed two storey side extension and alterations.
7.7 14 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SA. DM/21/3113. T1 Magnolia – cut back to last years growing point. T2 Cherry tree – cut back to last years growing point. T3 Holly tree – cut back to last year’s growing point. T4 Fan magnolia – cut back to last year’s growing point. T5 Strawberry tree – cut back to last year’s growing point. T6 White beam – cut back to last year’s growing point. T7 Katsura tree – cut back to last years growing point. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7.8 Greensands Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ES. DM/21/3179. Change of use of integrated garage to ancillary accommodation, infill of garage door to change to wall and two windows
7.9 Parkfield Cottage Bedlam Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EW.SDNP/21/04620/HOUS. Single storey side sun room extension.
7.10 Heathland 5 Albert Silsby Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YG. DM/21/3265. Provision of new garage, ground and first floor rear extension with alterations to roof incorporating dormer windows.
7.11 Bridgers Cottage Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HA. DM/21/3244. Single storey extension to the northern elevation of the existing garden room
7.12 125 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/21/3118. T1 – reduce crown growth overhanging path up to a height of 3.7 metres. T2 Cotoneaster – remove overhang on patio. T3 Bamboo – remove leaning stem over patio. T4 and T5 Fruit Trees – reduce growth on outside wall and trim off car space and drive. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7.13 114 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PX. DM/21/3091. Proposed installation of a stairlift. Listed Building Consent.
7.14 38 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AQ. DM/21/3370. Eucalyptus (T1) – Reduce crown by 2m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7.15 Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UZ. DM/21/3341. Discharge conditions 3, 8, 9 and 11 of planning application DM/21/2367.
7.16 Bungalow 2 Valley Farm Reeds Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JQ. DM/21/3377. Variation of condition nos. 2 and 8 relating to planning application DM/20/2550 – for the approval of updated landscaping and drainage details.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Old Coach House Trinity Road Hurstpierpoint BN6 9UY. DM/21/2222. Construction of single-storey extension at the rear of the site and installation of one skylight to the existing house. Block plan and existing and proposed east elevations received 28.07.2021 together with amended proposed roof plan showing reduction in height of skylight.
b) Old Coach House Trinity Road Hurstpierpoint BN6 9UY. DM/21/2224. Construction of single-storey extension at the rear of the site and installation of one skylight to the existing house. Block plan and existing and proposed east elevations received 28.07.2021 together with amended proposed roof plan showing reduction in height of skylight
c) Garden Cottage New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BB. SDNP/21/02340/HOUS. Extension alterations to outbuilding. Permission granted by SDNP.
d) 65 The Grange Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9FD. DM/21/2629. Proposed flat roof rear extension
e) 3 Park Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XA. DM/21/3163. Non material amendment to DM/21/1226- reduce the width of 1 no. first floor window to the front elevation and reduce the width of 1 no. ground floor window to the rear elevation.
f) 9 Hannington Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XY. DM/21/2170. Extension of existing detached garage (to the rear and also to link it up to the house), in order to form a music room. Modification of the existing entrance porch.
g) 6 Ribbetts Cottages High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PZ. DM/21/2793. 2x Holly (T1, T2) to reduce by 0.5m away from telephone lines. 1x Hawthorn (T3) to Pollard at approximately 1 meter.
h) Campions West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/21/2805. T1 Magnolia – Reduce crown by 1m.
i) Little Pakyns Cottage Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ET. DM/21/2794. Sycamore (T1) – Reduce crown by 2m
j) 1 Jobs Cottages Jobs Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HE. DM/21/2601. Loft conversion (amended plans received 20/08/2021).
k) 5 Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LN. DM/21/1119.Proposed two storey side extension with internal alterations, loft conversion to include 2 bedrooms and two dormers and outbuilding to house training resistance pool, steam room, plantroom and garden storeroom. Amended plans received 15.06.2021 showing amended design for the proposed rear dormers. Acoustic report received 15.07.2021.
l) 74 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AH. DM/21/2866. Leyland cypress (T1) – reduce height by 2m, trim sides.
m) 5 Hurst Gardens Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ST. DM/21/2765. T1 Oak – reduce the four lower branches by 2m.
n) Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UZ. DM/21/2367. Removal of an existing barn, mobile home and other outbuildings. Construction of 3 dwellings.
o) Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/21/2478. Fodder Storage Barn.
p) Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UZ. DM/21/2367. Removal of an existing barn, mobile home and other outbuildings. Construction of 3 dwellings.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
No notifications received.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) Greensands Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9ES. DM/21/2581. Conversion of garage into ancillary accommodation and infill of existing garage door.
b) Bridgers Cottage Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HA. DM/21/2190. Single storey extension to the northern elevation of the existing garden room.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
a) The Old Police Station Jobs Lane Sayers Common Hassocks. AP/21/0051. Proposed removal of an existing former use Class B1(a) Office building and existing detached garage block. Proposed erection of a Class E Office Unit, retaining existing access to vehicular car park at the rear of the site, together with associated bin & cycle stores.
b) Land 150M South Of Parson’s Withes Wood East Of Pangdean Lane Goddards Green. AP/21/0030. 8 units of key worker housing, multi-generational and professional accommodation. Decision issued – Appeal Dismissed.
9. Delegated List Item – The Chair & Vice-Chair propose that any application for work on ‘Trees in a Conservation Area’ be now moved to the 6’s, to reduce the number of items in the 7’s. Any member of the committee can request an application be moved to the 7’s if they wish.
RECOMMENDATION: The committee AGREE to adopt this procedure to take effect from the next Planning & Environment Committee meeting.
10. Information Item: 145 High Street – Enforcement Action: MSDC Cllr Bennett has been in touch with the Enforcement Team at MSDC and provided the following update:
Further to your email, the situation at 145 High Street, Hurstpierpoint is very much on officers’ radar and the time for undertaking the remedial work has passed and there doesn’t appear to have been any attempt to meet the requirements of the planning permission. Officers are in the process of considering the appropriate next steps and will be discussing with legal colleagues in this regard. In the event of a prosecution, it is likely that officers will seek authorisation from members, via the planning committee, before proceeding. Once officers have finalised the next steps, I will provide you with a further update.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.