MINUTES of the meeting of the Planning Committee on Thursday 4th October 2018 at 8.00 pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.
Committee Members Present
Martin Machan (Chairman) Rodney Jackson
Bob Sampson Julia Shorrocks
Stephen Hoyles Clerk to the Council
Helen Valler ASSISTANT CLERK
P18/048. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest: The following apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted: Allan Brown, Stephen Hand, Peter Griffiths, Malcolm Llewellyn and John Lowman. The following member declared a personal interest:
Martin Machan: P18/53.4 110 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PX. DM/18/3645.
P18/53.7 Garden House 93A High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RE. DM/18/3742.
P18/049. Minutes of the Planning Committee meeting held on 13 September: The minutes were received and accepted by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.
RESOLVED: The Minutes of the meeting of 13 September are adopted.
P18/050. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning Committee held on 23 August 2018: There were no matters arising.
P18/051. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee agreed to adjourn the meeting in accordance with Clause 1(d) of Standing Orders to allow members of the public to speak. It was agreed that the public would speak when the item was discussed. The meeting then resumed. No public present
P18/052 Planning applications delegated to Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chairman and Vice-Chairman are reported to the meeting.)
P18/052.1 Manor Cottages, Manor Road, Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex BN6 9UN. DM/18/3758. Remove small ornamental conifer to rear of property.
P18/052.2 Land to the West of St Paul’s Catholic College on the West Side of the A2300 Goddards Green West Sussex. DM/18/3314. Display of 1 non illuminated advertisement panel on 76 mm posts for new strategic mixed use development.
P18/052.3 3 Howard Lodge 7 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TT. DM/18/3690.
Horse Chestnut (T1) – Fell, Indian Bean Tree (T2) Cut back to give 1.5 metres clearance, Holly (T3) – Reduce by 2 metres, Hazel (T4) Renovate by removal of old limbs and dead wood, Portugal Laurel (T5) – Cut back from building to give 2 metre clearance, Lime (T6) and (T7) – Crown lift to 2 metres to clear parking area. (G1) – Remove Leycesteria and Hazel around Apple and reshape. Remove x2 Suppressed Apple trees and formatively prune x3 Apple trees.
P18/052.4 Vine House 5 Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QH. DM/18/3798
Magnolia (T1) – Fell and remove the resulting stump
P18/052.5 Fieldside Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QW. DM/18/3065.
Discharge of planning condition number 7 relating to planning application DM/17/2039.
No comment made
P18/052.6 35C Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RW. DM/18/3887. Leyland
Cypress (T) – Fell
P18/053 Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee was asked consider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning Authority:
P18/053.1 18 Layton Fields Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YH. DM/18/3573.
Retrospective permission for the erection of a summerhouse
P18/053.2 Hurstpierpoint College, College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JS.
Proposed extension to Music School building.
P18/053.3 Hillside Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TR. DM/18/3715. New single storey side extension. New garage at street level
Concerns raised regarding access onto road from new garage RECOMMENDATION: Permission
P18/053.4 110 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PX. DM/18/3645. Change of Use from A1 to Sui generis, to run a small nail and beauty salon with retail area. Due to the personal interest of the Chairman, the Vice-chairman Tony Lank took the chair for this item.
Committee Chairman Martin Machan then resumed the chair.
P18/053.5 Oaklands London Road Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HY DM/18/3739.
Construction of a replacement dwelling.
P18/053.6 Barn Southwest Of Pakyns House Bullfinch Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/18/3875.
Proposed change of use from agricultural barn to a single unit 2-bed dwelling house.
RECOMMENDATION: Refusal. Contrary to the following policies: DP 15 – New Homes in the Countryside
And the following Neighbourhood Plan Policies:
Hurst C1: Conserving and Enhancing Character
P18/053.7 Garden House 93A High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RE.
DM/18/3742. New Windows to side of House. Due to the personal interest of the Chairman, the Vice-chairman Tony Lank took the chair for this item.
Committee Chairman Martin Machan then resumed the chair.
P18/053.8 3 Wickham Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AP. DM/18/3907. Proposed front porch and utility extension, second floor room layout alterations, chimney removal and new roof window to front elevation.
P18/053.9 10 Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XT. DM/18/3900. Proposed infill extension to existing house to create a family room, the erection of detached single storey garage and home studio building and a 7m x 5m unenclosed swimming pool.
P18/054 MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as HP&SCPC recommendation, except where noted.) P18/054.1 Granted: the Committee noted permissions granted by MSDC:
- (a) Dukeside, 4 Dukes Place, Sayers Common, BN6 9JF. DM/18/2626 Group of 4xOaks – reduce back by 2-3 metres
- (b) 164 Western Road, Hurstpierpoint, BN6 9TE. DM/18/3118 (T1) Scots Pine – fell
- (c) Ailsa Craig, Abberton Field, Hurstpierpoint, BN6 9QD. Spruce – Remove to ground level.
- (d) 5 Osborn Close, Sayers Common, Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JR. DM/18/2841. Proposed single storey rear extension.
- (e) 38 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AQ. DM/18/2326. Eucalyptus (T1) Overall Crown Reduction of up to 5M.
- (f) 14 Layton Fields Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YH. DM/18/0220.Erection of conservatory to rear and front. (Revised plans received 26th July). HP&SCPC recommended refusal.
- (g) Lauriston St Georges Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QX. DM/18/2997. (T1)-Box Elder – Fell, (T2) Rowan- Reduce crown by approx 1 metre, Cypress (T3) reduce by approx 1 metre.
- (h) 100 Willow Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TJ. DM/18/2661.Erection of new three bed end of terrace dwelling and minor alterations to existing dwelling.
- (i) Danworth Farm Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9GL.DM/18/2249.Removal of Condition 11 of planning permission DM/17/3777 – to allow the interconnection of the individual units.
- j) Land west of Lodge Cottage, South Avenue, Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex DM/18/2698 Erection of single dwelling with associated landscaping.
- k) 13 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/18/2302. Proposed sub-division of existing bungalow into 1no. 2 bed and 1no. 1 bed single storey semi-detached dwellings. Amended plans received 03.08.2018 showing revisions to proposed parking layout. HP&SCPC recommended refusal
- l) Hope Chapel 139 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SZ. DM/18/3153. Removal and replacement of rear doors, removal and replacement of roof windows and internal alterations.
- m) 55 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NR. DM/18/2726. Conversion of existing integral garage and construction of a first floor extension to the front elevation. Replacement dormer to the front elevation. Construction of a first floor extension to the rear elevation, along with a replacement dormer. Demolition of existing bay window to west elevation and construction of single storey extension. Fenestration changes to all elevations to include replacement windows, and the application of timber cladding and render finished. Construction of a detached garage to the front of the property.
- n) Hampton Lodge 2 Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QN. DM/18/2837 and DM/18/2838. Refurbishment and conversion to the ‘Red House’ potting shed to create two storey one bedroom annexe ancillary to the main dwelling.
- o) 28 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RG. DM/18/3209. Change of Use from office space (B1a use class) to a 2-bedroom residential dwelling (C3 use class).
P18/054.2 Refused: the Committee noted refusals by MSDC: (All as HP&SCPC recommendation, except where noted). Maltings Farm Malthouse Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JZ. DM/18/2037. Demolition of outbuildings. Erection of 5 dwellings. Amended location plan received 22.06.2018 to include proposed access.
P18/054.3 Withdrawn: The Committee noted withdrawn applications: 35 Marchants Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UU. DM/18/3346. Erection of a single storey rear extension extending beyond the rear wall of the original house by 3.0 metres, to a maximum height of 4.0 metres and the height of the eaves to 3.0 metres. 13 Wilderness Road, Hurstpierpoint, Hassocks, West Sussex. Appeal withdrawn AP/18/0057.
P18/054.4 Appeals: the Committee noted planning appeals:
Langton Grange Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks AP/18/0060 DM/17/2980
Langton Grange Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks AP/18/0059 DM/17/297
Coombe Cottage Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EZ. AP/18/0054 DM/17/5010
There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.35pm Chairman