Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 3rd February 2022 at 7.30pm, to be held at Court Bushes Community Hub, off Willow Way, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Please note we strongly recommend the Government’s COVID guidelines are followed.
Sarah Groom CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 28th January 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr David Evans, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To receive and note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 6th January 2022: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 6th January 2022: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 11 Blackthorns Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TF. DM/21/4376. G2-Field Maple and Birch – Remove dead and deased wood, 25mm in diameter and over, remove or cut back low branches to give a 4 metre clearance from ground level.
6.2 88 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/0029. Crab apple (T1) – reduce crown by 0.5m. Rowan (T2) – reduce crown by 0.5m. Hawthorn (T3) – reduce crown by 0.5m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.3 The Sportsman Cuckfield Road Goddards Green Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LQ. DM/21/4228. To relocate 2 mobile pods from the forecourt of the building, onto the rear garden.
6.4 Redroofs Halton Shaws Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint BN6 9Q. DM/22/0107. (T2) Maple – Fell. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.5 Brushwood Farm Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/22/0083. Variation of condition 3 of planning application DM/19/2316 – to replace approved plans due to design revision.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Fieldside Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/22/0020. Variation of Condition 2 relating to planning reference DM/17/2039 to replace approved drawings with submitted drawings.
7.2 Graceland 17 Fairfield Crescent Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SF. DM/22/0005. Loft conversion incorporating hip to gable elements to the north and south, three dormers to the rear and one dormer to the front and also for raising the front gable roof pitch
7.3 White Horse Lodge Furzeland Way Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JB. DM/22/0124. Removal of condition 3, for agricultural occupancy, relating to HP/019/82.
7.4 Langton Grange Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HB. DM/21/2818. Inclusion of an Air Source Heat Pump unit and new pergola with timber decking below and retention of the existing close boarded boundary fence (amended description and amended plans received 12.01.2022 and 18.01.2022)
7.5 35 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/22/0189. Retrospective application for the erection of a timber outbuilding to the rear of the property which includes an air conditioning / heating unit.
7.6 Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UZ. DM/22/0204. Removal of existing barn, mobile home and other outbuildings and construction of 3 dwellings. (revisions to approved scheme DM/21/2367) now including garages and alterations to eastern unit to accommodate rooms within the roof space.
7.7 70 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/0213. Rear side infill extension and associated works.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) 2 Berrylands Farm Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XH. DM/21/3811. (Amended Plan and description 06/12/2021) Proposed single storey rear orangery extension to living room with flat roof canopy extending over rear of study, including formation of new french door to existing study window; with partial vertical timber cladding to existing rear and side elevation. Increase in height of rear boundary treatment to 2.3 metres with timber boarding on top of the existing wall.
b) 108 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/21/3696. (Amended description and plans received 06.12.2021) Proposed single storey rear extension and replacement of all windows to white PVC.
c) 37 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AU. DM/21/3931. Single storey rear extension and internal works.
d) Land West Of Lodge Cottage South Avenue Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/21/3820. Proposed addition of a triple garage with home office. Amendment to planning permission DM/18/2698 (which is under construction) (HP&SC PC recommended refusal)
e) Martins St Georges Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QX. DM/21/4120. Magnolia (T1) – Reduce crown by 1m. Pear (T2) – Reduce overhanging branches to neighbouring property on Northern side by 0.5m . Hazel (T3) – reduce crown by 2m. Apple (T3) – Reduce crown by 1m.
f) Wickham Corner College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/21/2877. Removal of planning condition no 2 relating to planning application HP/01/00055/FUL.
g) 28 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/21/4018. First floor rear extension.
h) St Johns House Sixth Form Hurstpierpoint College Chalkers Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/21/4020. Proposed conversion of loft space into a 2no bedroom staff flat and formation of associated dormer.
i) 5 Mill Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HN. DM/21/3816. Single-storey rear extension for proposed conservatory.
j) Land North Of Reeds Lane Reeds Lane Sayers Common West Sussex. DM/21/3648. Poly tunnels for use in commercial food production – three 6 x 18m poly tunnels for propagation and vegetable growing.
k) 18 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SA. DM/21/4100. Proposed single storey extension to the rear & roof conversion to existing detached property. Together with new entrance gates.
l) 20 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SA. DM/21/4252. Apple Tree – Fell
m) Oaklands Park Farm High Hatch Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LH. DM/21/4151. Conversion of barn to form five-bedroom dwelling.
n) 3 Kingsland Cottages Reeds Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JG. DM/21/4127. Single storey rear extension to replace existing conservatory, and front entrance porch.
o) Naldretts Farm Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/21/3580. Discharge of planning condition nos. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 13 relating to planning application DM/20/3040.
p) 7 Maude Singer Way Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9GF. DM/21/4184. Loft conversion with two dormers and a roof light to the front and a dormer and a roof light to the rear.
q) Redroofs Halton Shaws Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QR. DM/21/4287. Maple – T2 – Pollard of approximate 3-4 metres.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) Alders Farm Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EE. DM/21/3996. Notification for Prior approval of a change of use of two thirds of the barn into a residential dwelling, with the remaining third retained as storage. The internal layout is arranged with primary accommodation on the eastern elevation and an open plan living/dining area to the western end. All habitable rooms will have new windows / external doors.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.