Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 3rd March 2022 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Please note we strongly recommend the Government’s COVID guidelines are followed.
Sarah Groom CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 25th February 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr David Evans, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford.
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To receive and note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 3rd February 2022: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 3rd February 2022: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Culvers Church Fields Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TU. DM/22/0428. 1 x yew (T1) – reduce height by 2m, 1 x amelanchier (T2) – fell, 1 x eucalyptus (T3) – re-pollard, 1 x purple birch (T4) – remove reverted growth, 1 x hawthorn (T5) – fell. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.2 Capilosus Abberton Field Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QD. DM/22/0436. Laurel and Conifer – Reduce back by 2 meters. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.3 Littleway West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/22/0441. Holly (T1 and T2) – reduce height by 2m. Palm (T3) – fell. Lawson’s cypress (T4) – fell. Irish yew (T5) – fell. Amelanchier (T6) – reduce crown by 0.75m. Walnut (T7) – reduce crown by 2m. Ash – (T8) Fell. Willow – (T9) fell. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.4 Flints 11 Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XT. DM/22/0610. (T1) Beech Tree – Fell. (T2) Yew Tree – Fell. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Corner House Manor Gardens Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UG. DM/21/4261. Single storey side and rear extensions. Alteration of existing parking area to front garden. Amended plans received 10.02.2022 showing lowered flat roof to the rear extension.
7.2 106 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PX. DM/22/0296. Enlarge the rear existing dormer and installation of a smoke vent window to the rear roof.
7.3 The Stables Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/22/0360. Proposed creation of porch to principle elevation.
7.4 Bright World Education Ltd Forge House 105 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/21/4129. Proposed installation of 2 heat pump inverter outside units on the rear wall of office building.
7.5 33 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/22/0574. To relocate border fence, approx. 5.5ft closer to boundary, to enclose some of the additional land included within the boundary of the property. Also keep a hedge border in keeping with the current layout and similar to surrounding properties.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) 8 Ribbetts Cottages High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PZ. T1 and T2 Cherry -reduce crown by 1m.
b) Bridgers Farm Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HA. DM/22/0100. 1) Install new LV term pole inc stay sire at pole South of pole 633509, 2) Remove poles 633508 and 616577
c) 4 Lynton Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AN. DM/21/4326. Loft conversion with side dormer.
d) Tibbiwell St Georges Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QT. DM/21/4306. Single-storey rear extension and associated internal alterations.
e) 11 Nursery Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9WA. DM/21/4220. Single storey extension to the rear/side.
f) Spenny Thorne 13 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/21/2998. Proposed single storey side/rear extension, new side windows and internal alterations.
g) Redroofs Halton Shaws Hassocks Road Hurstpierpoint BN6 9Q. DM/22/0107. (T2) Maple – Fell
h) 5 Fairfield Crescent Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SE. DM/21/3964. Demolition of existing detached garage and storage structure on west of property boundary. Construction of single storey side extension to east and west side of existing bungalow. Two storey rear extension and loft space conversion with extension to front south elevation. New west roof slope with dormer window unit with rooflight units. New property entrance to be repositioned on east elevation. Amended plans received.
i) Land Adjacent To 1 Trinity Court Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XS. DM/21/3939. Yew Tree (T1,T2 and T3) – reduce Eastern side of crown by 1.5m. (Amended description of location of trees)
j) 88 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/0029. Crab apple (T1) – reduce crown by 0.5m. Rowan (T2) – reduce crown by 0.5m. Hawthorn (T3) – reduce crown by 0.5m.
k) Barn At Bullfinch Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/21/3058. Removal of condition 2 of planning permission HP/047/93. (HP&SC PC recommended refusal)
l) 88 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NR. DM/21/3632. Proposed double garage to the front of the house.
m) Pickhams Cottage Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/21/4197. (Additional plans received 21/12/2021). Replacement of existing outbuilding with new outbuilding, re-gravel existing driveway, new electric timber gates and new low level bollard lighting.
n) Bridgers Cottage Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HA. Replacement of window and apron with double doors.
o) 11 Blackthorns Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TF. DM/21/4376. G2-Field Maple and Birch – Remove dead and deased wood, 25mm in diameter and over, remove or cut back low branches to give a 4 metre clearance from ground level.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
No notifications received.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a)Pickhams Cottage Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/21/4198. (Additional plans received 21/12/2021). Replacement of existing outbuilding with new outbuilding, re-gravel existing driveway, new electric timber gates and new low level bollard lighting. Listed Building Consent.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
a) Alders Farm Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EE. AP/21/0036. Conversion of temporary residential dwelling to permanent residential dwelling with associated external alterations. Decision – Appeal Dismissed.
b)Little Lower Ease Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. AP/21/0058. Construction of 3 bedroom detached dwelling. Decision – Appeal Dismissed.
9. Street Naming – The committee is asked to consider a street naming request from MSDC – Torch Holiday & Retreat Centre, 4 Hassocks Road, Hurstpierpoint. The development consists of converting the original building into 10 new dwellings and the District Council has confirmed that a new street would be required to identify the development at this secluded location. The developers, Martin Homes, have suggested the name Beacon Drive for this new street as they feel it is in keeping with the name “Torch”.
RECOMMENDATION: The committee make their own suggestion based on our policy of using the names of past residents of Hurstpierpoint.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office