Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 5th May 2022 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Please note we strongly recommend the Government’s COVID guidelines are followed.
Sarah Groom CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 28th April 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr David Evans, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford. (one vacancy)
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To receive and note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 31st March 2022: To receive and accept the minutes
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 31st March 2022: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 Wickham Place Wickham Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AP. DM/22/0628. Removal of bay window and replace with hardwood door and double glazed side lights. Install oak frame open porch onto existing house.
6.2 3 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TT. DM/22/0971. 1 x macrocarpa (T1) – remove lowest limb on west side, reduce crown on North side by 1m to give clearance from silver birch, reduce lowest limb on East side by 2m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.3 1 Manor Cottages Manor Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UN. DM/22/0831. Spruce tree – fell. Trees in a Conservation Area
6.4 Locks Manor Malthouse Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JZ. DM/22/1305. Oak Tree – reduce by 3-5m all around to natural target pruning points. Tree remaining in height left to 14m and 14m spread. Tree surgery.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 50 Weald Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SR. DM/22/1043. Ground floor single storey extension. First floor extension over existing kitchen. (changes to roofline)
7.2 1 Springbank Cottages Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EX. DM/22/1037. Construction of 2 storey side extension, with associated internal alterations. Demolition of existing rear lean to porch. Replacement of all existing windows.
7.3 58 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NP. DM/22/1021. Demolition of existing single storey outbuilding connected to garage, enclosure of exterior passage way between garage and house with addition of 2 no. roof lights, And erection of single storey pitched roof extension with steps in to the rear garden
7.4 Hillside Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TR. DM/22/1075. Proposed replacement of side patio doors with new sash window, new single storey side extension and new single storey rear extension
7.5 West Town Farm, Barn 1 Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EU. DM/22/0915. Equestrian riding arena size 20m x 40m for private use.
7.6 Land North Of Clayton Wickham Farm College Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/22/1046. Conversion of barn to dwelling and associated buildings works. Prior Not. – Agricultural to Dwelling
7.7 Goddards Green Substation Gatehouse Lane Goddards Green West Sussex. DM/22/1186. Application for approval of external appearance of proposed 11kV GRP transformer enclosure.
7.8 White Horse Inn Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SP. DM/22/1196. Erection of a farm shop to be sited in the rear garden of the public house (sui generis).
7.9 The Stables Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/22/1238. Application for single storey side extension with gabled frontage and zinc roof, serving to amend existing approval under reference DM/21/3783
7.10 2 Church Green Cottages Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TS. DM/22/1255. Replace rotten wooden upstairs bedroom window and frame with similar wooden window and frame.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Littleway West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/22/0441. Holly (T1 and T2) – reduce height by 2m. Palm (T3) – fell. Lawson’s cypress (T4) – fell. Irish yew (T5) – fell. Amelanchier (T6) – reduce crown by 0.75m. Walnut (T7) – reduce crown by 2m. Ash – (T8) Fell. Willow – (T9) fell.
b) Flints 11 Brown Twins Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XT. DM/22/0610. (T1) Beech Tree – Fell. (T2) Yew Tree – Fell. Two replacement native trees to be planted.
c) Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/22/0690. Pinnoak – reduce height by 5m to stabilise the tree.
d) 46 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TA. DM/22/0851. Cherry (T1) – fell. Apple (T2) – reduce height to 3m.
e) 64 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AH. DM/22/0903. 1x Eucalyptus Gunnii – Pollard main stems to a height of 2.5 meters, Reduction of crown approximately by 5.8 meters.
f) Northbrooks Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LW. DM/22/0642. Change of use of one building and land within its curtilage from an agricultural use to a use falling within Class C3 (as a dwelling-house), together with building operations reasonably necessary to convert the building. (HP&SC PC recommended refusal)
g) Barns Wolstonbury Farm New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. SDNP/22/01534/APNB. Alterations to two barns. (Decision by SDNP)
h) 33 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/22/0574. To relocate border fence, approx. 5.5ft closer to boundary, to enclose some of the additional land included within the boundary of the property. Also keep a hedge border in keeping with the current layout and similar to surrounding properties. (HP&SC PC recommended refusal)
i) 9 Chestnut Grove Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SS. DM/22/0706. First floor in-fill side and front extension.
j) 106 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PX. DM/22/0296. Enlarge the rear existing dormer and installation of a smoke vent window to the rear roof. Amended plans received 04/03/2022 reducing size of dormer window.
k) Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UZ. DM/22/0204. Removal of former dairy, mobile home and other outbuildings and construction of 2 dwellings (revisions to approved scheme DM/21/2367) now including garages and alterations to eastern unit to accommodate rooms within the roof space.
l) 33 Weald Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SR. DM/22/0660. Single storey side extension with a terrace to the rear.
m) 111 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SY. DM/22/0962. T1 Willow – raise crown by 5 metres and reduce lateral branches on south side by 1 metre.
n) 100 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/0969. Oak Tree (T1) – reduce crown by up to 2 metres.
o) South Down House 4 Albert Silsby Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YG. DM/22/0580. Installation of 59 No. solar PV panels. To include 26 No. panels on a ground-mounted array within the adjoining paddock, with the remaining panels mounted on the southwest and southeast facing roof slopes of the house and approved extension.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) 3 Highfield Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AT. DM/21/2459. Two storey rear extension with first floor Juliette balconies, single storey rear extension, front porch and part garage conversion into a habitable room. (Description amended and revised plans received 20.01.2022 and 04.03.2022) (HP&SC recommended approval)
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
No notifications received.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
a) Pook Barn Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks. AP/22/0010. Retrospective application for demolition of barn and erection of a four bedroom dwelling.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.