Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 1st September 2022 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 25th August 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford (two vacancies).
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 4th August 2022: To receive and accept the minutes.
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 4th August 2022: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 134 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/2467. T1 Willow – Pollard at 3.5m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
6.2 Lychgate Cottage High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/22/2647. T1 Gleditsia – reduce crown by 0.5m. T2 Magnolia grandiflora – reduce crown by 0.5m. Trees in a Conservation Area.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 2 Hungerfield Cottages Mill Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HL. DM/22/2007. Demolition of existing garage and shed building. Construction of a two-storey extension to the side and rear elevations and a single-storey rear extension. New first floor juliet balcony to rear elevation. Fenestration alterations to the ground floor and internal alterations to the ground and first floor. Alterations and enhancements of the existing entrance, gates and driveway and construction of a detached building for an art studio, garage and storage, with associated hard and soft landscaping works.
7.2 Hornsdene Farm House Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/22/0534. Demolition of agricultural outbuilding (cow shed) and erection of new triple bay garage and one bedroom annex. Amended plans received 29.07.2022 showing internal and external design amendments.
7.3 159 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/22/2269. Remove internal wall between kitchen and lounge to provide open living space and light penetration. Installation of small conservation roof light to bathroom extension sloping ceiling. Listed Building Consent.
7.4 Old Danworth Cottage Danworth Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LN. DM/22/2423. Replacement side and rear extension, oak frame garage and workshop with home office and gym above
7.5 Streams Farm Cuckfield Road Ansty Haywards Heath West Sussex RH17 5AL. DM/22/2422. Demolish existing dwelling and replace with a two-storey dwelling.
7.6 Alders Farm Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EE. DM/22/2468. The retention of an existing temporary dwelling for a further temporary period at Alders Farm for the use in the proper running of the farm during the redevelopment of the existing barn into a residential dwelling for the owner.
7.7 108 Western Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/2361. Proposed loft conversion, including two rear flat roofed dormers, and two conservation styled rooflights to front roof slope.
7.8 4 Hurstbeech Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9FP. DM/22/1958. Single storey rear extension, conversion of garage loft space to form new office with 2 new dormer window. New dormer window and 3 new roof lights to existing loft. Amended plans received 17.08.2022 showing side doorway in the extension on the proposed west elevation.
7.9 14 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/22/2372. Single storey front and rear extensions. Garage conversion to create play room, utility and storage area.
7.10 Old Conna Barn Cuckfield Road Goddards Green Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LQ. DM/22/2538. Demolition of two barns and erection of incidental building to provide accommodation to be used in association with the host dwelling.
7.11 St Lukes Roman Catholic Church Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint. DM/22/1979. Proposed change of use of place of worship to 1 dwelling with external changes to fenestration plus removal of a section of the existing roof to create a garden area. Amended plans received 23.08.2022 showing alterations to internal layout and proposed installation of roof lights and roof lantern.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) 12 Hannington Place Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XY. DM/22/2022. Proposed works to include remove and replace all existing living room windows, doors, glazed roof and ancillary structures with face brickwork, bifold, windows and flat roof with roof lanterns. Extend timber decking. Remove shed at side of house and erect 2 no lean-to timber structures for home office and potting shed. Install side facing window to north face. Enlarge existing porch. Install wood burner chimney flue.
b) Land East Of Hurst Wickham Barn College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/22/1616. Erection of 1 no. detached, two storey dwelling house with timber framed detached, two storey garage, including new access and entrance gates (amendments to implemented planning permission DM/17/0948 [as extended by DM/20/3713]).
c) Littleway West Furlong Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RH. DM/22/2038. Crab apple (T1) reduce crown by 2m. Magnolia (T2) reduce crown by 1m. Cypress (T3) fell. Magnolia (T4) reduce crown by 1m. Hawthorn, Field Maple, Goat Willow (G1) fell.
d) 3 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9TT. DM/22/2037. T1 Macrocarpa – fell.
e) The Sportsman Cuckfield Road Goddards Green Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LQ. DM/21/4228. Provision of four mobile pods to provide additional dining space for use in association with The Sportsman public house (amended description 11/04/2022; amended plan 28/06/22).
f) Land North Of 19 Dunlop Close Sayers Common Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SL. DM/22/1905. T23 – Common Oak (Quercus robur) – To reduce back to the fence line by 0.5m, small section of overhanging foliage. T24 – common Oak (Quercus robur) – To crown lift to three metres includes any deadwood found within the working area. T25 – Common Oak (Quercus robur) – To remove two low dead branches up to 3m.
g) 92 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9NR. DM/22/1938. Removal of existing conservatory and erection of single storey rear extension.
h) Knowles Tooth Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EZ. DM/22/1580. Erection of an oak-framed garage with tiled roof instead of brick garage previously approved, plus erection of wooden pergola surrounding a half sunken swim lane with decking to level ground, plus steps. ADDITIONAL PLANS received 12/07/2022 showing further details of the pergola and swim lane.
i) 1 Springbank Cottages Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EX. DM/22/1037. (Amended Plans received 06.06.2022) Construction of 2 storey side extension, with associated internal alterations. Demolition of existing rear lean to porch. Replacement of all existing windows.
j) 2 Layton Fields Close Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YH. DM/22/2175. Proposed loft conversion with front and rear dormers, installation of rooflights, floorplan reconfiguration and all associated works.
k) Little Park Farm Marchants Close Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/22/2131. Variation of Cond 2 in relation to DM/22/0204.
l) Wolstonbury Farm New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. SDNP/22/03102/PA15B. Disconnection and removal of existing pole 632409 and connection onto the existing underground cable to provide an upgraded underground supply to Wolstonbury Farm. (Decision by SDNP)
m) 9 Brown Twins Road, Hurstpierpoint. DM/22/2202. Oak – Reduce crown by approx 1.5m and no further reduction beyond previous reduction points.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
No notifications received
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
No notifications received
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.