Preparing for Winter
The local councils have been working together to try and ensure the best use of limited resources, in dealing with snow and ice.
When necessary, West Sussex County Council will grit these roads in our Parish:
- Hassocks Road and the High Street to Albourne (the B2116)
- Albourne to Sayers Common and the A23 (the B2118)
- Cuckfield Road (from the High Street to Goddards Green and A2300)
- Brighton Road. (the B2117)
In severe conditions the WSCC permit the Parish Council to enlist the help of some local contractors and farmers to clear, but not grit, some minor roads following heavy snowfall:
- Trinity Road,
- Western Road
- Marchants Road
- College Lane (Wickham Hill end).
These have been chosen because of their particular importance and where gradients can cause problems. If you live on any of these please try to keep your car off the road, to help the snow-clearance.
Wherever possible bulk bags of grit will be placed as follows:
- Western Road, in front of the allotments gate,
- Blackthorns, corner of Willow Way,
- Iden Hurst, corner of Cuckfield Road,
- Marchants Road, corner of Cuckfield Road,
- Charity Shop/Chantry Stables noticeboard,
- Health Centre, Trinity Road, next to footpath/bench,
- Cherrington Close, corner of Highfield Drive,
- Village Hall, Sayers Common.
These are available for nearby residents’ use on pavements – but not for private use. You only need to lightly sprinkle a small amount of the grit – otherwise it is wasteful and adds to water pollution.
Would you be available to help clear the pavements when it snows? If so, please contact the Parish Council office and we will tell you about the scheme.