hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

September 8, 2016

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 8 September 2016 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand  (Chairman)  

Judith Marsh 

Julia Shorrocks Also Present:   

Stephen Hoyles  CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 

Charlotte Kempson – Assistant CLerk 

F16/025. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  The following apologies were received prior to the meeting and accepted:   Allan Brown, Amanda Geel, Rodney Jackson, John Lowman, Martin Machan.  There were no declarations of interest.  

F16/026.  Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 11 August 2016:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman.   

F16/027.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 11 August 

2016: There were no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.   

F16/028.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Clause 1(d) of Standing Orders. 

F16/029.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F16/029.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £132,649.52  for month 6  (September 2016) and the total receipts of £99,943.00 for Month  5 (August 2016).   (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2).  The Committee was also asked to approve a revision to the payments for Month 5 (August 2016) of £19,803.79 (in place of £19,757.23) due to an additional direct debit payment to BT Telecoms.  A question was raised about the future payments for tree planting by Hurstpierpoint Society and it was agreed that this would be investigated.   

RESOLVED:  (1)  The Committee approves the schedule of payments of £132,649.52 for September 2016.   (2) The Committee approves the revised schedule of payments of £19,803.79 for August 2016. 

F16/029.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted the Accounts Records  for Month 5 (August 2016), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  (1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance (PRESENTED at the MEETING) 

F16/029.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee was asked to note that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
30/08/2016 
181,645.92 Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
31/07/2016 
10,339.76 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
29/07/2016 
579.75 Cooperative ‘65190913 00 Current 
06/07/2015 
52,140.42 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL 
  £244,705.85    

The Committee noted that the balance included the sum of £99,943.00 received from MSDC for payment to Kompan for the play area project.   

F16/029.4  Annual Return and External Audit  – year ending 31 March 2016:  The committee noted that  the 

External Auditor had requested additional information, largely arising from their previous request that the Council restates its allocation of the CCLA account from a cash deposit to an investment deposit.  The Internal Auditor was asked advice on the matter and a response had now been made.  (Ref:  Littlejohn LLP email 5 August 2016; HP&SCPC ltr 31 August 2016)   

F16/030.  CONTRACTS:   

F16/030.1  Internal Audit:  The Committee was asked to approve the re-appointment of the current Internal Auditor Mark Mulberry for the accounting period ending 31 March 2017.  The cost is calculated on an hourly rate of £50 + VAT plus expenses.  A budget allocation of £500 is considered sufficient.  (Ref:  Mark Mulberry ltr 11 August 2016)   RESOLVED:  The Internal Auditor Mark Mulberry is re-appointed for the year ending 31 March 2017.   

F16/031.  PROJECTS:  

F16/031.1  Action List 2016/17:  The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16.  (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2016/17 rev15  31 August 2016) 

F16/031.2  South Avenue Play Area:  The Committee noted that the official opening took place 10.00am  Tuesday 

16 August 2016 attended by the contractor, Chairman of Council and Chairman of the Play Area Working Group, and around 30 parents and children.  The press had been invited but did not attend, but press releases were sent to four local outlets. The Committee requested that a plaque be placed by the play area with mention of the opening date.  There was also a suggestion that a sign should advise parents/carers that the equipment should be used in an age-appropriate manner.   

F16/031.3  Streetlight Replacement Scheme:  The Committee noted that the formal contract to SSE had been issued, effective 25 August 2016 and the mobilising work is underway.  On site installation is expected to start late September 2016.  A project meeting with SSE had taken place on 8 September 2016.  A sample of the lantern was shown to the Committee.  The PWLB loan facility of £165,000 was now available and it was agreed that this would be taken at the beginning of October 2016.  The loan had been approved by Council (Minute C16/011.2).  The request required the signature of Chairman and RFO.   (Ref:  HP&SCPC   ltr  SSE  25 August 2016) 

F16/031.4  High Street Improvement Scheme:  The Committee noted that the expiration of the 12-month warranty with contractor Walker Construction is due to expire in September.  The consultants Stillwells had been instructed to undertake an assessment of any outstanding remedial works and arrange for implementation by the contractor.  Once any work is complete, the contract retention money (5% of the contract sum) will be due to be paid.  The consultant is also liaising with WSCC regarding the formal handover of the scheme in accordance with the s278 Agreement.  The consultant and contractor are completing any problems before WSCC S278 is completed.  

F16/032.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) 

F16/032.1  Street lighting:   The Committee noted a complaint regarding the 24 hour burning lights along Hassocks Road and also a light not working in St Georges Lane.  The resident had been advised that the 24-hour burn would regrettably continue until the replacements were installed, but that the failed light would be repaired.   

F16/032.2  Toilets:   Nothing to report.  

F16/032.3  Trees:  The Committee noted that 3 tenders are to be sent out for the removal of the dead Chestnut Tree in South Avenue Recreation Ground.  

F16/032.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. 

F16/032.5  Recreation Grounds:  The Committee were advised that a quote had been requested for the removal of the play equipment at Reeds Lane. Information from local residents is to be collated, about the potential uses, before any new equipment is to be installed.  

F16/032.6  Dog waste bins.  Nothing to report. 

F16/032.7  Buildings:   Tenders have been invited for the refurbishment of the bus shelters in the Parish.  

F16/032.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F16/032.9  Public enquiries: The Committee is advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.   

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.59pm    Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more