hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

November 10, 2016

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 10 November 2016 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand  (Chairman)  
Rodney Jackson  
John Lowman 
Martin Machan 
Allan Brown 
Amanda Geel  
Judith Marsh  
Julia Shorrocks 

Also Present:   

Charlotte Kempson – Assistant Clerk 

F16/041. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  There were no apologies. Stephen Hand and Martin Machan declared a personal interest in item F16/048.7(1) Bowls Club Lease.   

F16/042.  Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 13 October 2016:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman 

F16/043.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 13 October 

2016: There were no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.   

F16/044.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Clause 1(d) of Standing Orders.  


F16/045.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £12,856.33  for month 8   (November 2016) and the total receipts of £165,654.25 for Month  7 (October 2016), which includes the loan of £164,942.25 from Public Works Loan board for the new street lighting.   (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee RESOLVES to approve the schedule of payments of  £12,856.33 for November 2016.   

F16/045.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee was asked to note the Accounts Records  for Month 6 (September 

2016), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

(1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance (PRESENTED at the MEETING) 

F16/045.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee was asked to note that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
276,874.69 Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
10,346.85 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
Cooperative ‘65190913 00 Closed 
52,140.42 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 

F16/045.4.  Public Works Loan Board loan – Street lighting replacement scheme:  The Committee was asked to note that the sum of £164,942.25 has been received by the Council, in preparation of payment to SSE as the street lighting replacement contractor.  The loan is at a fixed interest of 2.16%, repayable twice-yearly over a term of 20 years.   It is proposed that this sum is earmarked for the Street lighting Replacement Scheme.   (Ref:  UK Debt 

Management Office   ltr 25 October 2016 – ref   loan number 505469)   

RESOLVED:  That £164,942.25 is placed as earmarked for spending only on the Street lighting Replacement Scheme.  

F16/046.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee was asked to note the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: F16/046.1  Bus shelters:  As agreed by the Committee, the contractor GPS has been awarded the contract for refurbishment of the War Memorial Bus Shelter for £3,950.00 + VAT.  Tenders have been sought for the replacement of the Willow Way Bus Shelter and are expected 14 November 2016.  The installed cost is expected to be around £6,000 + VAT.  It is proposed to apply to the WSCC Community Highways Scheme for a grant of £2,500 being their normal maximum, and to MSDC for £3,500 from their Community and Economic Development Grant.  The WSCC application 

requires the support of the County local Member and it is therefore proposed to request this support and make the application.   

RESOLVED:  The Parish Council requests support from the WSCC Local County Member for an application for £2,500 from the Community Highways Scheme, and applies to MSDC for £3,500 from their Community and Economic Development fund, to provide a new bus shelter at Willow Way, Hurstpierpoint. 

F16/046.2  Street lighting Replacement Scheme:  The streetlights are being fabricated and installation was due to 

start 14 November 2016 in the Willow Way area.  The ‘heritage’ style lights will follow as their production has a longer lead time.  The Council has been presented with an agreement for signing, between the contractor SSE, the Council and the cabling authority UK Power Networks, to allow SSE to make overhead connections to UKPN systems.  The Agreement is being reviewed by the Parish Office.  The Committee were updated that the start date had moved to the 21 November and shown a draft schedule of the works.  

F16/047.  PROJECTS:  

F16/047.1  Action List 2016/17:  The Committee was asked to note the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16.  

(Ref:  ACTION LIST 2016/17 rev16  3 November 2016) 

F16/048.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F16/048.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F16/048.2  Toilets:   Further to the report to the Committee meeting of 13 October 2016 (Minute F16/040.2) the  Pitt Road toilet has been inspected by a building surveyor and his report has been received.  There is a suggestion of possible foundation failure due to the influence of a nearby tree, and it is recommended that a trial hole is excavated to further investigate.  The insurance company has been notified of the matter.   (Ref:  Sussex Building Surveyors Ltd  Report  1 November 2016)  However, the Committee were advised that the insurance policy did not cover subsidence.  

F16/048.3  Trees:  

  1. (1) Tennis Club: The club are applying for the Horse Chestnut Tree to be trimmed. The Council have previously given permission (Ref: Tennis Club email 6 November 2016) 
  2. (2) Cemetery Trees: The Committee were advised that the decision regarding the removal of the TPO on the 8 Swamp Cypress trees, is due to be discussed at MSDC on 17 November 2016,  where the decision on whether to remove the trees will also to be decided.  

F16/048.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. 

F16/048.5  Recreation Grounds:   

(1)  South Avenue Recreation Ground, Hurstpierpoint:  John Lawson’s Circus has applied to visit the village and occupy the recreation ground from Monday 8 to Wednesday 10 May 2017.  They are regular visitors to the village and previous experience has been positive, with no meaningful complaints from the public.  In the past no charge has been made, but a bond of £300 has been held.  It is proposed that the same arrangement is offered for this visit.  (Ref:  John Lawson Circus  email 24 October 2016)   

RESOLVED:  John Lawson’s Circus is permitted to attend South Avenue Recreation Ground 8 to 10 May 2017, at no charge, but subject to a standard licence and bond.   

F16/048.6  Dog waste bins.  Nothing to report. 

F16/048.7  Buildings:    

  1. (1) Bowls Club: The Councils Solicitors have been instructed to prepare a new lease.  
  2. (2) Chantry Stables:  The Maintenance Officer spoke with the Manager of the Co-op, who indicated the use of the Charity shop would still be going ahead, with the possibility of occupancy by the end of November. 

F16/048.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F16/048.9  Public enquiries: The Committee is advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.   

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.38 pm    Chairman

Related Posts