hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

March 9, 2017

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 9 

March 2017 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Rodney Jackson (Vice-Chairman)  Amanda Geel  

Allan Brown Martin Machan 

John Lowman Julia Shorrocks 

Also Present:   

Stephen Hoyles – CLERK to the COUNCIL 

F16/073. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  The following  apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted:  Stephen Hand,  Judith Marsh.  In the absence of Stephen Hand the Vicechairman chaired the meeting.  There were no declarations of interest.   

F16/074.  Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 9 February 2017:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman. 

F16/075.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 9 February 

2017:  There were no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.   

F16/076.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   

F16/077.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F16/077.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £12,931.20 for month 12   (March 2017) and the total receipts of £28,080.75  for Month  11 (February 2017).   

(Ref: Schedule 1 and 2) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee approves the schedule of payments of £12,931.20 for March 2017.   

F16/077.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee was asked to note the Accounts Records  for Month 11 (February 

2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

(1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance (PRESENTED at the MEETING) 

F16/077.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee noted that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
28/02/2017 
241,498.00 Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
31/1/2017 
10,356.70 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
06/07/2015 
52,140.42 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL 
  303,995.12    

F16/077.4  Royal British Legion – Hurstpierpoint:  The Committee noted that the representative of the local branch has made a request for funding of the parade day road closure signs and insurance for volunteers marshalling the road closure.  The clerk has requested that a quote be obtained before consideration is given to a grant towards these costs.  The national British Legion has instructed all local branches not to meet the cost of parades from donations, and to look to local authorities to meet these costs.  Also  the police have stated that they will no longer offer supervisory support for road closures in Sussex.  The Committee expressed its concern about the loss of funding for police marshalling and it was agreed that the Council was not likely to be willing to fund any marshalling, but would be prepared to consider funding the insurance costs of volunteer marshalls.   (Ref:  Royal British Legion  ltr 13 July 2015 – received from local branch 28 Feb 2017)   

F16/077.5  Financial Regulations – review of Direct Debits and Standing Orders:  In accordance with the Council’s Financial Regulations (15 May 2015;  5.6 and 6.7) the Committee was required to review the instructions to the bank for Direct Debits and Standing Orders.  (Ref:  Schedule of instructions to the bank for Direct Debits and Standing Orders  – 1 March 2017 ) 

RESOLVED:  The Schedule of  instructions to the bank for Direct Debits and Standing Orders (1 March 2017) is approved.   

F16/078.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee noted the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT : 

F16/078.1  Streetlighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE is continuing.  There had been significant delays in procuring the embellishments for the heritage style lampposts in Wickham Hill and Hassocks Road, but these were now substantially completed.   Other outstanding works include the bracket-mounted lanterns in Brighton Road, Albourne Road, and Furzeland Road, and some lampposts including in Pitt Lane.  It was agreed that the Council would accept an interim invoice from the contractor for the work  completed to date.   

F16/078.2  High Street Improvements Scheme:  The Council’s Contractor Landbuild had advised that ‘roadspace’ in the High Street has been scheduled for 24 April 2017 for three days, to repair the dislodged kerbs.  The WSCC inspection has been scheduled for 27 April 2017 and it is expected that the sealing of the s278 Agreement will then take place.  (Ref:  Landbuild email  21 February 2017)   

F16/078.3  Bus Shelter – Willow Way:  The Committee noted that the shelter was installed 2 March 2017 and a letter of thanks had been received from a member of the public.   Work is in hand to assess the placing of a new shelter in London Road, Sayers Common.   

F16/078.5  Trees – South Avenue and others:  The following tree maintenance work was required:   

  1. (1) pollarding of trees on the west side of South Avenue  
  2. (2) removal of a fallen tree in St Georges Green (St Georges Lane) 
  3. (3) the trimming of the Horse Chestnut tree in the South Avenue play area.  This tree overhangs the tennis courts and causes disturbance to players.  It has been previously agreed that the Council would bot object to trimming and planning permission has been secured.  It had been agreed that the cost would be divided equally between the Tennis Club and the Council.   Quotations were sought from three contractors for  items (1) and (2) and it was recommended that the contractor offering the lowest price is awarded the work, being Botanica  for the sum of £2330.00  (of which £80.00 is for the Tennis Club tree).  The contractor has also added a quote for the Tennis Club work.   (Ref:  Botanica  quote 6 

February 2017  and email 27 February 2017)   

RESOLVED:  The work for the pollarding of the trees in South Avenue, the removal of the fallen tree in St Georges Lane, and the trimming of the Horse Chestnut by the tennis court, is awarded to Botanica at a price of £2330.00  (plus VAT).   

F16/078.6  Reeds Lane Play Area:  The Committee was asked to note progress on this matter and it was agreed that it would be referred to Council for further consideration.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE  Reeds Lane Play Area  progress review  –  14 February 2017)   

F16/079.  PROJECTS:  

F16/079.1  Action List 2016/17:  The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16.  (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2016/17 rev19  17 January 2017) 

F16/079.2  Reeds Lane Play Area:  This item  was withdrawn.   

F16/080.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F16/080.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. F16/080.2  Toilets:   

(1)  Pitt Lane Toilets:  Further to Minute  F16/072.2  (Meeting 9 February 2017)  the Committee noted that structural engineers have submitted their design and specification for the underpinning of the flank wall.  Quotations will shortly be obtained for the building work.   (Ref:  McCarey Simmonds  email  24 February 2017)   

F16/080.3  Trees:  The Swamp Cypress trees in the Cemetery were due to be felled  from 21 March 2017, taking 4 days.  It was suggested that the date be delayed by a week to avoid potential conflict with  Mother’s Day remembrance.   

F16/080.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. F16/080.5  Recreation Grounds:   

F16/080.6  Dog waste bins.  There had been some instances of failed routine collections by the MSDC contractor, and the matter has been raised with the District Council. 

F16/080.7  Buildings:  Nothing to report.   

F16/080.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F16/080.9  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at   8.46 pm    Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more