hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

April 13, 2017

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 13 

April 2017 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand  (Chairman) 
Allan Brown 
Amanda Geel 
Rodney Jackson  
John Lowman 
Martin Machan  
Judith Marsh 
Julia Shorrocks 

Also Present:   

Malcolm Llewellyn 

Stephen Hoyles – CLERK to the COUNCIL 

Charlotte Kempson  –  Assistant Clerk 

F16/081. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  There were no apologies for absence.  There were no declarations of interest.   

F16/082.  Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 9 March 2017:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman. 

F16/083.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 9 March 2017:  There were no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.   

F16/084.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   

F16/085.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F16/085.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £49,091.34  for month 1  (April  2017) and the total receipts of £5,339.00 for Month 12 (March  2017).   (Ref: 

Schedule 1 and 2 ) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee RESOLVES to approve the schedule of payments of   £49,091.34 for April 2017.   

F16/085.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted the Accounts Records  for Month 12 (March 2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  (1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance (Month 12 – March 2017

 (2)  Income/Expenditure Quarterly reports (Month 12 – March 2017)   

F16/085.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee noted that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
31/03/2017 
232,377.79 Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
28/02/2017 
10,359.04 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
06/07/2016 
52,140.42 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL 
  294,877.25    

F16/086.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee was asked to note the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: F16/086.1  Streetlighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE is continuing.  Approximately  30 light units remained to be installed, being mostly bracket-mounted items, but also about 7 columns.  SSE confirmed that  installation gangs would be on site from 18 April 2017.  The contractor had reported a delay in committing UKPN (cablecontractor) to make the necessary connections.  The Committee expressed its frustration at the long delay in completing the work, but noted that no on–account payments had yet been made.  It was noted that the finished product was of a high quality and had received a number of positive comments from the public.   (Ref:  SSE email  14 April 2017 – progress review)  

F16/086.2  Trees:   

  1. (1) South Avenue Cemetery:  The 8 Swamp Cypress trees were removed 21 to 25 March 2017.  There had been a number of positive comments from the public.  
  2. (2) Land behind old telephone exchange:  Works are due to start on the Ash trees on 16 May 2017 
  3. (3) South Avenue, St Georges Green, and Tennis Club:  The tree surgery works started on 6 April 2017. 

F16/086.3.  Bus Shelters: The Committee noted that the replacement shelter in Willow Way had now been installed.  The refurbishment of the War Memorial shelter was due to start on 18 April 2017.  Work was in hand in identifying a 

suitable location and design for the northbound shelter in London Road, Sayers Common.   

F16/086.4.  Seats: Four new seats have been ordered, delivery is expected by the end of April. Two of the seats will have plaques.  

F16/087.  PROJECTS:  

F16/087.1  Action List 2016/17:  The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2016/17.  (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2016/17 rev21 6 April 2017) 

F16/087.2:  Little Park Parkland:  It was reported that the Council’s solicitors had advised that the Transfer Deed for the land was ready for completion, which would take place very shortly.  The matter of vehicular access between points A and B (transfer plan) was to be included in the Transfer Deed.  The matter of the transfer of the small parcel of land (point 

X transfer plan) back to Houltons was to be the subject of a subsequent transfer deed  (Finance + General Purposes 

Committee Minute F16/070.7) .  This was being prepared, but the Clerk had requested that the costs be borne by Houltons.   (Ref:  MWB email 12 April 2017  –  Little Park;  HP&SCPC email 11 April 2017  –  Little Park) 

F16/087.3:  Highfield Drive Parkland:  It was reported that the land transfer had not yet taken place, despite recent assurances from the landowner that it was imminent.  The Council’s solicitors had advised that the delay centred around the permission for an overflow from a septic tank at the property Little Dragons which had apparently been diverted into the parkland area.  The permission for the overflow had not been regularised and, until this was achieved, the solicitors advised that the land transfer should not take place.  The Committee expressed concern at the delay and asked that the matter be further pursued with the Council’s solicitors.  (Ref:  MWB email 12 April 2017  –  Highfield Drive) 

F16/088.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F16/088.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F16/088.2  Toilets:  Tenders had been invited for the structural repairs to the Pitt Lane toilets.   

F16/088.3  Trees: Nothing to report

F16/088.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. 

F16/088.5  Recreation Grounds:   

  1. (1) South Avenue Recreation Ground (event):  A request had been received from a commercial company wishing to hold safe archery games on an area of the recreation ground.  The Committee agreed that this was not consistent with the community uses and the request would be declined.  (Ref:  Josh Baxter email 6 April 2017)   
  2. (2) South Avenue Recreation Ground (incident):  The Committee was advised that an incident took place on 5 April 2017.  The Council’s insurers had been advised.  (Ref:  GD email  12 April 2017)   

F16/088.6  Waste bins and collection:   

  1. (1) Brown Twins road:  At the Councillor surgery on 8 April 2017 the condition of the dog waste bin had been reported.  The matter was now in hand and it was intended to install a larger bin.   
  2. (2) South Avenue Recreation Ground:  The general waste from the two bins in the play area had been handled by MSDC until December 2016, at which time they had abruptly stopped collection.  When questioned, MSDC denied ever having responsibility for collection and stated that they could not adjust their schedule to assist the Parish Council.  The Parish office were now investigating alternative waste collection.  (REF:  MSDC email 3 April 2017;  HP&SCPC email 11 April 2017)   

F16/088.7  Buildings:   

  1. (1) Chantry Stables (sub-lease):  The current tenant Hurst Community Charity had sub-let to the Co-op shop until 30 April 2017, with the permission of the Council  (Minute C16/057.2  – 27 October 2016).  The Co-op shop  was still in place and a move back into the High Street shop was not expected for some time.  The head tenant had therefore asked for permission to extend the sub-lease until 31 October 2017.   The Committee agreed to RECOMMEND to Council that the permission be extended.   (Ref:  Hurst Community Charity email 13 April 2017)   

RECOMMENDED to COUNCIL:  Permission is granted to Hurst Community Charity to extend the sub-let of Chantry Stables to Co-op Group Estates until 31 October 2017.   

  1. (2) Chantry Stables :  A request had been received from a local business to rent Chantry Stables once vacated by the Co-op shop.  The Committee noted that the building was not available and in any event was generally reserved for community-based use.  (Ref:  HVC email 12 April 2017)   
  1. (3) Mobile Farm Shop:  A request had been received from a commercial business to site a mobile shop at a suitable location in Hurstpierpoint.  It was noted that the Council did not own any suitable site and the company would be advised accordingly.  (EJ email 28 March 2017)   

F16/088.8  Allotments:   It was reported that all allotments were currently occupied and the waiting list was 13.   

F16/088.9  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.55 pm    Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more