hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

May 11, 2017

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 11 

May 2017 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand  (Chairman)  

Allan Brown 

Amanda Geel 

Rodney Jackson  

Also Present:   

Malcolm Llewellyn 

Stephen Hoyles – CLERK to the COUNCIL 

Charlotte Kempson  –  Assistant Clerk 

F16/089. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  The following apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted:  John Lowman, Martin Machan, Judith Marsh, Julia Shorrocks.    There were no declarations of interest.   

F16/090.  Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 13 April  2017:  The Minutes were received and accepted and signed by the Chairman. 

F16/091.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 13 April 2017:  There were no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.   

F16/092.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   


F16/093.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £9,303.36  for month 2  (May  2017) and the total receipts of £97,894.15 for Month 1 (April  2017). (Ref: Schedule 

1 and 2) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee approves the schedule of payments of  £9,303.36  for May  2017.   

F16/093.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee was asked to note the Accounts Records  for Month 1 (April 2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

(1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance  

It was reported that the Internal Auditor had visited on 9 May 2017 and the Internal Audit Report would be available to be considered at the next meeting of the Committee.  In the meantime it had been noted that the initialling of the paper copies of the monthly trial balance should be undertaken by a member who was not the Chairman nor a bank signatory.  It was agreed that in future the monthly initial would be undertaken by Member Amanda Geel.   

F16/093.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee was asked to note that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
283,517.03 Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
10,361.10 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
52,140.42 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 

F16/094.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee was asked to note the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: F16/094.1  Streetlighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE is continuing.  The contractor has advised that the agreement with UKPN for the cable connections to the bracket-mounted lights, is now in place and the work could resume.  The installation teams resumed on site on 8 May 2017.  In discussion the Committee noted that there might be a requirement for additional lighting columns, and these could be installed under the terms of the contract if agreed by Council.  (Ref:  SSE email streetlighting  2 May 2017)   

F16/094.2  Parkland:  Contract 1 (Preparatory Works Highfield Drive parkland) and Contract 2  

(Preparatory Works Little Park parkland):  The Committee was asked to consider the appointment of a contractor 

(or contractors) for these two contracts.  It is noted that to date neither of the two land parcels of the parkland had been transferred to Council ownership and the start of the contracts cannot be confirmed until the transfers are completed.  It was therefore proposed that authorisation is given to award the contracts once the respective land transfers are complete, providing only that the transfers are completed by 31 October 2017.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE  Highfield Drive and Little Park Parkland tenders – 21 April 2017)   

RESOLVED:  Parkland Contracts 1 and 2 are awarded to Barcombe Landscapes Ltd, only after the completion of the relevant land transfer, provided the transfer completes by 31 October 2017.   

F16/094.3 High Street  Improvements:  The contractor Landbuild completed the remedial works on 26  April 2017 and the Clerk attended an inspection with representatives of West Sussex County Council Highways on 27 April 2017.  Three outstanding matters were identified by WSCC and the contractor has been instructed to carry out the work.  It was estimated that the additional items will cost around £600.   

F16/094.4.  Bus Shelter – War Memorial: The Committee was asked to note that the shelter refurbishment had now been completed. 

F16/094.5   Burgess Hill Town  Council  Partnership:  As previously reported to the Committee (8 December 

2016 Minute F16/053.5) the Town Council had offered to continue the minor highway maintenance and reactive maintenance services, following the withdrawal of support by WSCC from 1 April 2017.  The contribution cost of £1850 had been placed in the Parish Council’s 2017/18 Budget and the Town Council was now asking to invoice this amount.  The Committee agreed to proceed with this arrangement.  (Ref:  BHTC email  10 May 2017)   

F16/095.  PROJECTS:  

F16/095.1  Action List 2016/17:  The Committee was asked to note the Action List for the Council Year 2016/17.  

(Ref:  ACTION LIST 2016/17 rev22 3 May 2017 ) 

Parish Council Infrastructure Programme 2014-19:  The Committee was asked to note the updated Programme.  

(Ref:  Infrastructure Programme 2014-19  20 March 2017 ) 

F16/095.3  Little Park Parkland:  The Committee noted that the land transfer was expected to take place shortly.  

The Council’s solicitor had issued a Completion Statement  showing their fees at £1,311.00 plus £207 VAT.  It had been agreed that the s106 funds from the developer to the Council would be transferred via the solicitor’s client account.  (Ref:  Mayo Wynne Baxter email and Completion Statement 8 May 2017) 

F16/096.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F16/096.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F16/096.2  Toilets:  Pitt Lane toilet:  Two quotes had been received by contractors for the underpinning of the south wing.  The prices in the range of £11,933 to £16,103 were considerably in excess of that estimated and not thought to be reasonable, so further quotes were being sought.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE:  Quotes for underpinning and repairs to Ladies Toilet, Pitt Lane – 11 May 2017)   

F16/096.3  Trees: The trees in South Avenue had now been pollarded.    

F16/096.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. F16/096.5  Recreation Grounds:   

(1)  South Avenue Recreation Ground:  Lawsons Circus were in place 7-9 May 2017, as previously authorised.   (2)  South Avenue Recreation Ground:  St Lawrence Fair had applied to use the recreation ground from 7.30am Friday 30 June to 1.00pm Sunday 2 July 2017 for the annual fair.  No charge would be levied.  (Ref:  Licence application St Lawrence Fair  – 10 May 2017)   

RESOLVED:  The Committee agreed to grant the licence for the St Lawrence Fair at south Avenue Recreation Ground from 7.30am Friday 30 June to 1.00pm Sunday 2 July 2017 

F16/096.6  Waste bins.  As previously reported, the waste bins in the South Avenue play area are no longer being collected by MSDC, who  have refused a request to reinstate them in the schedule.  At present the work is being undertaken by the parish maintenance team.  A quote had been received from a contractor to collect and dispose of the South Avenue Recreation Ground waste, on a weekly basis at £25 + VAT per week.  It was agreed to appoint the 

contractor for a period of 6 month, and then review.  (Ref:  Sussex Waste Services Ltd email 15 May 2017)   

RESOLVED:  The Committee agreed to award a contract to Sussex Waste Services Ltd for the collection and disposal of waste for £25 + VAT per week for 26 weeks.   

F16/096.7  Buildings:   

(1)  Chantry Stables  (Charity Shop):  It was reported that  Co-op Estates had confirmed their intention to return to the High Street premises, but that the process was now likely to take until the new year 2018.   

F16/096.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F16/096.9  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

F16/097.    Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17:  The Committee was asked to receive and consider the Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17, and make a recommendation to Council.  In addition the Committee was asked to approve the following elements which support the accounts:  Assets Register (31 March 2017), and the Earmarked Reserves (31 March 2017) as follows:   

EARMARKED RESERVES:    Balance at 31 March 2017 

Item 2017 2016 
  Community Affairs  4,268   4,268  Community events fund 
Streetlighting replacement 72,410 0 Received from PWLB less invoiced by SSE 
Maintenance van 3,750 3,000  Fund increased by £750 pa. 
High Street Improvements Scheme  Required to pay outstanding retention monies 6,500  in 2016/17.   

Per Balance Sheet      £80,428         £13,768   

 (Ref:  Draft Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17;  Assets Register 31 March 2017 v3) 


  1. (1) The Assets Register 31 March 2017 is approved. 
  2. (2) The Earmarked reserves 31 March 2017 are approved. 
  3. (3) The Annual Report is approved.   
  4. (4) The  Accounts 2016/17 are approved. 

F16/098.   Annual Financial Risk Management Review  2017/18: The Committee was asked to RECOMMEND to COUNCIL to receive and adopt the Annual Financial Risk Management Review  2017/18. (Ref:  ‘Governance + Accountability for Smaller Councils ‘  March 2017 Section 5 (Risk management);  Annual Financial Risk Management 

Review  2017/18    3 May 2017) 

RECOMMENDATION to Council:  The Annual Financial Risk Management Review  2017/18 is adopted. 

F16/099.  Annual Risk Assessment 2017/18:  The Committee was asked to note that the  Annual Risk Assessment of Council owned property has been undertaken  and to RECOMMEND to Council that it is confirmed that it is complete.  

(Ref:  HP&SCPC Risk Assessment and Inspection Records 28 April 2017  AVAILABLE for INSPECTION in the OFFICE) RECOMMENDATION to Council:  The Annual Risk Assessment 2017/18 is adopted.  

F16/100.  Annual Insurance renewal:  The Committee was asked to note that under the current terms the insurance is renewed with Zurich Insurance with effect 1 June 2017 for an annual premium yet to be advised.  The arrangements were to run for three consecutive years, with the next market-testing in 2018.  (Ref:  Zurich Insurance renewal statement  April 2017  ) 

F16/101.  Internal Audit – Review of effectiveness of Internal Control 2017/18:  The Committee was asked to 

review the Internal Control systems and accordingly RECOMMEND to Council.  Internal Control Arrangements (Regulation 6 of the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015)  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE  Internal Audit – Review of effectiveness of Internal Control 2017/18  3 May 2017)  

RECOMMENDATION to Council:  The Internal Audit – Review of effectiveness of Internal Control 2017/18 is adopted.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at      9.10 pm    Chairman  

Related Posts