hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

July 13, 2017

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 13 July 

2017 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Rodney Jackson  (Chairman for the meeting)                Julia Shorrocks Amanda Geel 

              Malcolm Llewellyn  

              John Lowman 

Also Present:   

Charlotte Kempson – ASSISTANT CLERK  Allan Brown 

F17/012. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  The following apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted:  Stephen Hand and Martin Machan 

John Lowman declared a Personal Interest relating to item F17/018.7 Buildings: Hurst Bowling Club Pavilion. There were no other declarations.  

F17/013.  Minutes of the meeting of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 6 June 2017:  The Minutes were received and accepted and signed by the Chairman. 

F17/014.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 6 June 2017:   The Committee noted minute F17/008.4. – Internal Audit May 2017. A member of the committee other than the Chairman of Council and ideally a Councillor who is not a bank signatory is to sign the monthly Bank Reconciliation.  

F17/015.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   

F17/016.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F17/016.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to  

  1. (1) Approve revised payments of accounts totalling £130,813.10  for June 2017 (Month 3). The revision resulted from the quarterly bank charge from Unity Trust Bank.  
  2. (2) Approve total payments of £30,065.58 for July 2017 (Month 4).  
  3. (3) Approve the total receipts of £25,385.00 for Month 3 (June  2017).   (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee approved:  

  1. (1) Revised total payments of £130,813.10 for June 2017 (Month 3)  
  2. (2) Payments of £30,065.58 for July 2017 (Month 4)  
  3. (3) Receipts totalling £25,385.00 for June 2017 (Month 3)  

F17/016.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted the Accounts Records  for Month 3 (June 2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  (1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance (PRESENTED at the MEETING) 

(2)  Income + expenditure (Qtr 1) (PRESENTED at the MEETING) 

F17/016.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee was asked to note that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
05/07/2017 
211,690.99    Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
31/05/2017 
10,365.23   CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
06/07/2016 
52,140.42 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL 
  £274,196.64    

F17/016.4  INRG Community Grant:  A grant of £20,000 has been received from INRG Solar Ltd in respect of its community engagement following completion of the solar farm at Goddards Green.  There are no constraints imposed by the donor but it is suggested that this sum is placed in earmarked reserves for a capital community project.   (Ref:  

HP&SCPC ltr 6 June 2017)   

RESOLVED:  The £20,000 INRG grant is placed in earmarked reserves for a capital community project.   

F17/016.5  Hurstpierpoint Cricket Club  –  grant application:   Further to previous advice (Minute F17/008.5  meeting 6 June 2017)   MSDC have advised that a grant of £20,940 has been made to the Club for improvements to the changing rooms and an artificial wicket.  (Ref:  MSDC email 12 June 2017 – Cricket Club)  

F17/016.6  Council’s grant policy:  Member Amanda Geel  has proposed changes to the Council’s policy on setting grant levels.  The grants are administered by Community Affairs Committee and their total grant budget for 2017/18 is £4,000 (small grants), £2,000 (Hurst Festival), £3,000 (local community groups), and £4,800 (Hurst Community Charity – 

‘charity shop’ rent rebate).   

It was suggested that any proposed changes are submitted to Community Affairs Committee for their consideration.  (Ref:  

Amanda Geel email 26 May 2017)  

A discussion took place and the Committee raised concerns over the grants being awarded to the same groups every year. The committee requested that all grants should be decided on a year to year basis, with a copy of the group’s accounts and information on what the grant is required for should be provided, with evidence.  

RESOLVED:  The Committee referred the matter to Community Affairs Committee for a review of grants policy.  

F17/016.7  s106  funds:  the committee was asked to note that current schedule of s106 funds held by Mid Sussex District Council for use in the Parish.  It was noted that these figures do not include those arising from the Little Park development, nor the commuted sums connected with the parkland land transfers.  The Committee commented on a sum of S106 monies amounting to £13,796.00, from Land at Orchard Way, which is due to be spent by August 2018.  They requested that the funds be Earmarked for a project before the deadline. The Committee also requested a briefing from The Clerk at the next meeting. (Ref MSDC Schedule of s106 funds June 2017) 

F17/017.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee was asked to note the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: 

F17/017.1  Street lighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE is continuing.  The outstanding matters were:   

Albourne Road:  3 column and 3 bracket lights 

Brighton Road:  9 bracket lights 

Kemps:  5 bracket lights 

Pitt Lane:  I column 

Hassocks Road:  2 columns to complete Highfield Drive:  3 columns to paint 

The Council has been advised that SSE is waiting on UKPN to schedule the necessary works and, at this stage, no deadline has been offered.  A concern was raised that the base sleeve on one of the the lights in Hassocks Road was not secure, the office will contact SSE to arrange for this to be fixed.  

F17/017.2 High Street Improvements:  The final rectification works were completed in June and s278 Agreement has now been completed.  WSCC are now responsible for the maintenance of the High Street.  (Ref:  WSCC Completion certificate and Final Certificate s278 30 June 2017).   

F17/017.3  Travellers barriers:  The Committee was asked to approve the supply and  installation of 4 barriers (2 at South Avenue Recreation Ground, and 2 at Reeds Lane Recreation Ground) to provide additional security against unauthorised access.  This requirement follows the access experienced at Reeds Lane in June 2017.  There is no specific budget in 2017/18 for this work, but it is deemed a necessary measure, and the cost is placed against the recreation grounds budget.  It is noted that planning permission will be required for the South Avenue works. A discussion took place about all the quotations received and it was agreed that the recommended supplier be awarded the contract. (Ref:  

BRIEFING NOTE Barriers for South Avenue and Reeds Lane recreation grounds – 15 June 2017)   

RESOLVED:  The supply and installation of 4 barriers is awarded to Stronghold Ltd at a cost of £10,175.00 + VAT.   

F17/017.4  South Avenue Recreation Ground litter bins:  The Committee was asked to approve the supply of 3 waste bins, two in the play area and one at Pitt Lane.  These will replace the existing bins which are too small for the purpose and which are open-topped, leading to scavenging by seagulls.  The new larger bins will be cover topped and pictures will be tabled at the meeting.  Quotes were obtained ranging from £200 to £350 per unit for plastic to steel construction.  It is recommended that steel versions, including the Council logo, are obtained.  Installation would be undertaken by one of the Council’s retained contractors at a cost of approximately £50 each unit.  A question was raised as to which budget the bins would come from, this was to be looked at by the Assistant Clerk. The Committee requested that the bins be located by the exit gates.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE Litter Bins – 30 June 2017)   

RESOLVED:  The supply of 3 steel waste bins is awarded to Broxap at a cost of £956.85 + VAT.   

F17/018.  PROJECTS:  

F17/018.1  Action List 2017/18:  The Committee was asked to note the Action List for the Council Year 2017/18.  

(Ref:  ACTION LIST 2017/18 rev23 30 May 2017) 

F17/018.2  Highfield Drive Parkland:  The Committee was asked to note that the completion of land transfer and the payment of the commuted sum was expected 13 July 2017.   

F17/019.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F17/019.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F17/019.2  Toilets:  Pitt Lane toilet:  The underpinning work  was due to start 10 July 2017.  The Committee noted that the works had started.  

F17/019.3  Trees:  Damage has been noted to a large branch on one of the two Willows  in the Cemetery.  The area has been cordoned off and urgent surgery has been undertaken 6 July 2017 by contractor J Lee Trees at a cost of £540 + VAT.  The tree is in a Conservation Area and the appropriate 5-day notice has been submitted to the Planning Authority.     (Ref:  J Lee Trees quote 26 June 2017)     F17/019.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. F17/019.5  Recreation Grounds:  F17/019.6  Waste bins.  Nothing to report 

F17/019.7  Buildings:  Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club Pavilion:  The Council has previously granted permission to the Club to extend the pavilion.  The Club have made a further planning application for the works and, under the terms of the lease with the Parish Council, are required to formally notify the landlord of the application.  The Committee was asked to note the details, which were tabled at the meeting.  (Ref:  Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club –  Sterling Design ltr 23 

June 2017)   

F17/019.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F17/019.9  Village Centre bookings:  Nothing to report.   

F17/019.10  Village Garden:  A request has been received from the local Rotary Club to  plant about 200 crocus corms in the Garden, in the area around the Rotary seat.  This is to publicise their support of the campaign to eradicate polio amongst children.  It is suggested that the Council supports this request.   (Ref:  Martin Booth email 25 June 2017)   RESOLVED:  Permission is given to the Rotary Club to plant 200 crocus corms in the Village Garden.   

F17/019.11  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.26pm    Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more