hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

October 12, 2017

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 12 

October 2017 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand (Chairman)   Amanda Geel                Rodney Jackson                   John Lowman  Malcolm Llewellyn   Martin Machan  Julia Shorrocks 

Also Present:   

Stephen Hoyles  CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 

Charlotte Kempson – ASSISTANT CLERK  

F17/037. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  There were no apologies for absence.  The following declared a personal interest:  Martin Machan, Stephen Hand and john Lowman (item F17/043.5  Recreation Grounds and item F17/044.7  Buildings:  (1) Bowling Club pavilion). 

F17/038.  Minutes of the meeting of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 14 September 2017:  The Minutes were received and accepted and signed by the Chairman. 

F17/039.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 14 September 

2017: There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.   

F17/040.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   

F17/041.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F17/041.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts  

£36,506.94 for month 7  (October 2017) and the total receipts of £100,053.00 for Month 6 (September 2017).  The committee also approved revised payments of   £39,781.96  for September 2017, to  include an additional  £32.25 for the bank charges.   (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee RESOLVES to approve the schedule of payments of   

£36,506.94 for October 2017 and a revised sum of £39,781.96  for September 2017.     

F17/041.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted the Accounts Records  for Month 6 (September 2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

  1. (1) Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance (30 September 2017) 
  2. (2) Income + expenditure  (Qtr 2)  (30 September 2017) 

F17/041.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee noted that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
5/10/2017 
327,513.55    Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
31/08/2017 
10,370.64   CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
18/08/2017   
52,772.33 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL 
  £390,656.52    

F17/041.4  Deposit Accounts:  Further to Minute F17/032.5  (Meeting 14 September 2017) the Committee 

considered revised arrangements for the  deposit of funds.   As new deposit accounts are required, a recommendation to 

Council is required.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE:  Additional Deposits and Investments    October  2017) 

RECOMMENDATION to Council: The Council’s funds are allocated to new and existing accounts as follows:  

  1. (1) Nationwide account: Existing bond deposit     £52,000  
  2. (2) Nationwide account: Additional account bond deposit (c 0.50%)   £33,000  
  3. (3) CCLA: Existing account increased from £10,000 (c 1.00%) to   £65,000  
  4. (4) Lloyds Bank: New Local Authority 12 Month Fixed Deposit (c. 0.65%)  £50,000  
  5. (5) Charity Bank: New Ethical 1 Year Business Fixed Rate account (1.00%)  £50,000  (6) Unity Bank: existing current account, remaining fluctuating balances.  

TOTAL: £250,000 

F17/041.5  Review of charges :The Committee considered the annual review of charges to make a 

RECOMMENDATION to Council.  The current rates charged for cemetery plots and services are significantly below those of other authorities in the locality.  It was therefore proposed that the charges are increased by approximately 10% (and rounded).  It was agreed that the rate charge for a child should apply for those up to age 18.   (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE:  

Review of Charges – 4 October 2017) 

RECOMMENDATION to Council:  The Review of charges 4 October 2017 is approved.   

F17/041.6  Budget 2018/19 :  The Committee considered the BRIEFING NOTE and confirmed the working 

assumptions to enable the Budget to be prepared, pending further input from the spending committees. (Ref:  BRIEFING 

NOTE Budget + Precept 2018/19  5 October 2017 ;  Budget 2018/19  5 Oct 2017  V1  Working Draft  ) 

RESOLVED: The Committee confirms the working assumptions in Briefing Note 5 October 2017 to enable the Budget 2018/19 to be prepared.   

F17/041.7  Budget 2017/18 – Parish Action Plan 2016-21:  The Committee  reviewed the Working Draft Budget  for its sector  (showing the Budget for 2017/18 and the initial proposals for 2018/19)  and the Parish Action Plan 2016-21.  The Committee agreed the draft budget proposals set for Finance and General Purposes.   (Ref:  Parish Action Plan 201621   Rev 4  31.8.17)   

RESOLVED:  The Committee set its draft proposals for the 2018/19 Budget.   

F17/041.8  Toilets expenditure:  Following a request from a Member for further detail on the current levels of expenditure, the Committee noted the BRIEFING NOTE which explains the cost breakdown.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE:  Toilets expenditure 3 October 2017)  

F17/042.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee noted the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: 

F17/042.1  Street lighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE was continuing.  Work recommenced on site on 2 October 2017 with the following outstanding matters now in hand:  Albourne Road:  2 columns;  Brighton Road:  9 bracket lights;   Pitt Lane:  I column;  Highfield Drive:  3 columns to paint 

F17/042.2  Recreation Grounds Maintenance  Contract ‘A’:  The current contract with Barcombe Landscapes Ltd  expires 31 December 2017.  It was expected that a new maintenance contract would be put in place for the Hurst Meadows areas in late 2018 and it would be appropriate to synchronise these maintenance contracts in the interests of value and good administration.  The contractor had agreed to continue for a further period at the current rates and it was agreed that this was accepted.  (REF:  HP&SCPC ltr Grounds Maintenance Contract ‘A’  17 Nov 2015).   

RESOLVED:  Recreation Grounds Maintenance  Contract ‘A’ is extended to 31 October 2018 at the current rates.   

F17/042.3  Waste bin collection:  A current contract for the weekly emptying of the two litter bins at South Avenue play area expires 16 November 2017.  This arrangement was introduced following the withdrawal  of the MSDC service in April 2017.  The arrangement had worked well and the Committee agreed that it would be extended to 31 May 2018 at a cost of £25 + VAT per week.  It was expected that by May 2018  the Council would have additional collection needs in the Hurst Meadows areas and a new longer-term contract could be arranged.   (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE Emptying of litter bins – 22 September 2017)   

RESOLVED: The waste bin collection contract with Sussex Waster Services is extended to 31 May 2018 at a cost of £25 + VAT per week.   

F17/042.4  Highfield Drive Parkland:  The Committee  noted that Contract 1 – preparatory works  commenced on site 30 August 2017, with the installation of fences, gates and footpaths.   

F17/043.  PROJECTS:  

F17/043.1  Action List 2017/18:  The Committee  noted the Action List for the Council Year 2017/18.  (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2017/18 rev24  5 October 2017) 

F17/044.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F17/044.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F17/044.2  Toilets:  Nothing to report. 

F17/044.3  Trees:  Nothing to report. 

F17/044.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. F17/044.5  Recreation Grounds:   

(1) South Avenue Recreation Ground:  The Committee noted that the Bowls Club pavilion extension was due to start on site 16 October 2017 and expected to take until 1 March 2018.  The Parish Office has given temporary permission 

for a storage area and working space adjacent to the pavilion(Ref: David Trehane email 4 October 2017)   F17/044.6  Waste bins.  Nothing to report. F17/044.7  Buildings:   

(1) Bowling Club pavilion:  A question had been raised by the Club about the recording of the new lease with Land 

Registry.  It appeared that the register was in the name of the Club and not the Trustees, who are the legal entity.  The Council’s solicitors had been advised and had agreed to re-enter the register.  (Re:  MSDC ltr 15 August 2017 – Hurstpierpoint Bowling Club) 

F17/044.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F17/044.9  Village Centre bookings:  Nothing to report.   

F17/044.10  Village Garden: Nothing to report.   F17/044.12  Highways:   

F17/044.11  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at  pm   8.58 pm     

Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more