hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

January 11, 2018

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 11 

January 2018 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand (Chairman)  Rodney Jackson                  Amanda Geel                 Malcolm Llewellyn   John Lowman   Martin Machan  Julia Shorrocks 

Also Present:   

Charlotte Kempson  ASSISTANT CLERK 

F17/061. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  There were no apologies received prior to the meeting.  The following personal interest was declared: Rodney Jackson (Item F17/066.2 Hurst Meadows (Contract 1) 

F17/062.  Minutes of the meeting of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 7 December 2017:  The Minutes were received and accepted and signed by the Chairman. 

F17/063.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 7 December 

2017:   There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.   

F17/064.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions.   

F17/065.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F17/065.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £23,956.40 for month 10  (January 2018) and the total receipts of £2,305.00 for Month 9 (December 2017) (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2 ) The Committee was also asked to resolve approval of revised payments for Month 9 (December 2017) of £22,337.31, an increase of £39.75 (being the quarterly bank charge) 

RESOLVED:   

  1. (1) The Committee approves the schedule of payments of £23,956.40 January 2018.   
  2. (2) The Committee approves the revised schedule of payments of £22,337.31 for December 2017. 

F17/065.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee was asked to note the Accounts Records  for Month 9 (December 

2017), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

  1. (1) Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance  
  2. (2) Income + Expenditure (qtr 3, Month 9)   

F17/065.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee noted that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
04/1/2018 
275,718.74    Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
30/11/2017 
10,375.25   CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
18/08/2017   
52,772.33 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL 
£338,866.32      

The Committee requested an update at the next meeting regarding the placing of Council funds into the deposit accounts.  

F17/065.4  Budget 2018/19:  The Committee was asked to consider the Budget and Precept for 2018/19 and make a RECOMMENDATION to COUNCIL at its meeting 18 January 2018 to approve the Budget and set the Precept.  A 

discussion took place and the Committee agreed to add the following to the Planning Committee Budget: 

  1)  Planning Consultancy (£2,500)  

With these amendments to the Budget It was noted that the Revenue Budget indicates a surplus of £62 on expenditure of £246,795.  The CAPEX Budget shows a deficit of £34,600 on expenditure of £117,600.  It is predicted that the total funds will increase from £238,046 to £399,973 at 31 March 2018.   

It is proposed that there is a 2% increase in Band D Council Tax (to £68.32) which, with a 2.5% increase in the Tax 

Base, provides for a 4.5% increase in Precept to £202,602.  (Ref:  Budget 2018/19 V3 5 December 2017; BRIEFING 

NOTE 2017/18 Budget and Precept 22 December 2016)  RECOMMENDATION to COUNCIL:   

  1. (1) To approve the Budget 2018/19 (V3 5 December 2017) as amended by Finance and General Purposes Committee on 11th January 2018. 
  2. (2) The Precept 2018/19 is set at £202,602 equating to an increase on the Band D Council Tax of 2%.   

F17/065.5  Internal Audit Report:  The Committee noted that further to Minute F17/057.5  (Committee 7 December 2017) and the matter of the procedure of BACS payments, the Parish Office responded on the basis that the current system had sufficient safeguards.  The Internal Auditor has further responded, concurring with the Council’s explanation and agrees that no change is required.  (REF:  HP&SCPC email 20 December 2017; Farsight Consulting email 3 January 2018)   

F17/066.  CONTRACTS:  The Committee noted the following contracts with a cost over £500 + VAT: 

F17/066.1  Street lighting Replacement Scheme:  The contract with SSE is continuing.  Work recommenced on site on 4 December 2017 with the following outstanding matters now in hand:  Albourne Road:  3 bracket-mounted lights;  Brighton Road:  7 bracket-mounted lights;  Pitt Lane:  I column; Highfield Drive:  3 columns to paint.  It is understood that all the outstanding bracket-mounted connections are awaiting UKPN action.  The Committee requested an update be taken to the next meeting.  

F17/066.2  Hurst Meadows  (Contract 1):   It is expected that work will commence on Contract 2 (Little Park) in January, pending the completion of the land transfer.  The Committee noted that the transfer had been completed and the monies had been received.  

F17/067.  PROJECTS:  

F17/067.1  Action List 2017/18:  The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2017/18.  (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2017/18 rev25  30 November 2017) 

F17/068.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F17/068.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F17/068.2  Toilets:  Nothing to report. 

F17/068.3  Trees:  Nothing to report. 

F17/068.4  Cemetery:   Nothing to report. 

F17/068.5  Recreation Grounds: Nothing to report. 

F17/068.6  Waste bins.  Cllr Geel has undertaken a survey of Waste Bins and dog waste bins in Hurstpierpoint which the committee is asked to note.  The Parish Office is liaising with Mid Sussex District Council about the possibility of adding bins to the collections rounds and a proposal will be brought to the Committee when information is available.    (Ref:  Survey of waste bins – August 2017)  The Committee expressed its gratitude to Cllr Geel for all her hard work.  F17/068.7  Buildings: Nothing to report. 

F17/068.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F17/068.9  Village Centre bookings:  Nothing to report.   F17/068.10  Village Garden:   

F17/068.12  Highways:  Nothing to report. 

F17/068.11  Public enquiries: The Committee is advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.  

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.41 pm    Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more