hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

April 14, 2016

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 14 

April 2016 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand (Chairman) Rodney Jackson 

Allan Brown  John Lowman   

Pam Mitchell Also Present:   

 4 Members of the public 

Stephen Hoyles – CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 

Charlotte Kempson – Assistant Clerk 

F15/070. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest: The following apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted:  Judith Marsh, Martin Machan,  Julia Shorrocks.   There were no declarations of interest.   

F15/071.  Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 10 March 2016:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman.   

F15/072.  Matters arising from the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 10 March 2016: 

(1)  Minute F15/066:  South Avenue Recreation Ground boundary hedge:  Member John Lowman reported that he was investigating the allegation made by a member of the public that the new boundary hedge had been placed so as to take land from the Recreation Ground.  The Committee was reminded that it had approved the new planting (Minute F15/063.5  Meeting 11 February 2016).  It was possible that the more substantial new hedge might have the effect of slightly narrowing the recreation ground access track, but the effect was probably insignificant.  The previous and new hedge was wholly within the recreation ground land.  A further report would be presented in due course.  

F15/073.  Chantry House Stables:  The Committee was advised that the expected presentation from representatives of the Hurst Community Charity and the Holy Trinity Church, on a possible extension to the existing shop, had been postponed at their request.    

F15/074.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  The Committee considered whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public in attendance.   

RESOLVED :  The Committee Meeting is adjourned.   

Two members of the public represented St Lawrence Fair and raised comments about Item F15/075.5 (Contracts: (1) 

South Avenue Playground) and expressed concern that the proposed construction on site would interfere with the Fair 

Day on Saturday 2 July 2016.  The intention of the Council was to arrange for the construction from 6 June to 22 July 2016, to ensure that the facilities were available for the start of the school summer holidays.  The Fair would normally make use of the playground, and the land immediately south, on the Friday and Saturday, and the construction process would deny access.  The Committee acknowledged the conflict and regretted the impact on the Fair organisation.  However, after discussion  it was agreed that the construction would proceed as planned.  However, it was agreed that, in order to reduce conflict over access, the contractor would be instructed not to work on site on Friday 1 July 2016.  The Committee thanked the Fair representatives for their work and offered to assist in other ways if required.   The Meeting then resumed.   


F15/075.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee approved payment of accounts totalling £22,703.14 for month 1  

(April), and noted receipts of £2,266.33 for month 12 (March)  (Ref: Payments April 2016 Schedules 1, 2 ,   Receipts March 2016  Schedules 433 ) 

RESOLVED:  The Committee approved the schedule of payments of £22,703.14 for April 2016.  

F15/075.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted the Accounts Records  for Month 12 (March 2016), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

(1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance  

It was noted that this was the year-end for the accounts, and full draft accounts would be presented to the Committee at its next meeting.   

F15/075.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee noted that the Council was holding the following funds:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
10,308.09 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
31/03/2016 58,324.80 Cooperative ‘65190913 00 Current 
24/09/2015 0.00 National savings NSI ‘138058219 Gratuity Fund 
07/07/2015 51,418.59 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
   TOTAL   120,051.48    

The Committee was advised that the arrangements for a new bank account with Unity Bank were now in place.  Since the approval by Council, Unity Bank had altered their charging structure  to £6.00 per month plus 15p per transaction, equating to about £12 per month.  The Committee agreed that these charges, which were similar to those currently paid to Cooperative Bank, were acceptable.  (Ref: Unity Trust Bank email 5 April 2016)   RESOLVED:  The Bank charges from Unity Bank Trust are accepted.   

F15/075.4 Leases:  The new lease forChantry House has been received from solicitors Mayo Wynne Baxter and is currently being reviewed.   

F15/075.5 Contracts: 

(1) South Avenue Playground:  The Committee was advised that planning permission had been received, that the 

£99,943  s106 funds had been approved by MSDC, and the tender had been approved by Council (Minute C15/072  meeting 26 November 2016).  The Committee agreed that the contractor Kompan would be instructed to commence fabrication on 18 April 2016 and proceed with installation on site in the period 6 June to 22 July 2016.   

RESOLVED:  The South Avenue Playground scheme contractor is instructed to proceed, to complete on site by 22 July 2016.   

F15/076.  PROJECTS:  

F15/076.1  Action List 2015/16:  The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16.  It was reported that the Chairman of Council had written to the WSCC Leader regarding future cooperation for library services.  (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2015/16 rev10  7 April 2016) 

F15/076.2  Seats:  Two new seats have been ordered, delivery is expected before the end of April.  There will be no commemorative plaques.  

F15/076.3  Streetlight Replacement Scheme:   The Committee was advised that only one tender had been received by the due date of 31 March 2016, although three had been expected.  The submitted tender contained a number of points requiring clarification, as it was not clear that all installation matters had been costed.  A second contractor had made a late request for an extension to the tender period, but this had been declined.  Both contractors had therefore been asked to re-submit tenders by noon 29 April 2016, to enable direct comparisons to be made.  A report will be brought to the next meeting of the Committee.   

F15/077.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) F15/077.1  Street lighting:   Nothing to report. 

F15/077.2  Toilets:  Nothing to report.   

F15/077.3  Trees:  Nothing to report.  

F15/077.4  Cemetery:   The Committee was advised that a meeting had taken place between the Cemetery Manager, Maintenance Officer, Tree Officer at MSDC and our appointed tree consultant at the cemetery, to discuss the issue with the Swamp Cypress trees in the Garden of Rest.  The Parish Council’s tree consultant is currently in talks with the Tree Officer, on how we can move forward, to resolve the continuing issue with these trees.   

F15/077.5  Recreation Grounds:  Nothing to report.  

F15/077.6  Dog waste bins:  Significant problems were experienced when the MSDC contractor failed to collect the waste on some of the bins on 1 April 2016.  A number of complaints were received and MSDC advised.   

F15/077.7  Buildings:   Nothing to report. 

F15/077.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F15/077.9  Public enquiries: The Committee is advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.   

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at      9.00  pm    Chairman  

Related Posts