hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

June 9, 2016

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 9 June 

2016 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand    John Lowman    Julia Shorrocks Rodney Jackson  Martin Machan   

Also Present:   

Charlotte Kempson – Assistant Clerk 

F16/004. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest:  To receive and accept apologies for absence and to note any declarations of interest.  The following Apologies were received prior to the meeting and accepted: Allan Brown, Judith Marsh and Pam Mitchell.  There were no declarations of interest.  

F16/005.  Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 12 May 2016 and 26 May 2016:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman.   

F16/006.  Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 12 May 2016: There are no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.   

F16/007.  Adjournment for questions from the public: There being no public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Clause 1(d) of Standing Orders 


F16/008.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £13,899.85  for month 3  (June 2016).  The Committee was advised that at the time of this agenda, the final bank statement from Cooperative Bank is awaited, in order to report on the total receipts for Month  2 (May 2016).  It is expected that these will be reported at the meeting.  (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2).  

It was noted that the total receipts for Month 2 (May 2016) was £3.94 

RESOLVED:  the Committee RESOLVED to approve the schedule of payments of  £13,899.85 for June 2016.  

F16/008.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee was asked to note the Accounts Records  for Month 2 (May 2016), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:  

(1)  Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance. 

F16/008.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee was asked to note that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
362.00 Unity Bank  ‘20365408 Current 
10,323.50 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
131,235.86 Cooperative ‘65190913 00 Current 
0.00 National savings NSI ‘138058219 Gratuity Fund 
51,418.59 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 

At 2 June 2016 the funds had not been transferred from the Council’s Co-operative Bank account to the new Unity Bank account.  Enquiries with the banks have advised that the Cooperative Bank had not completed the transaction but would do so by 10 June 2016.  The Parish Office is continuing to press the matter.  

The Committee was advised that the Nationwide Deposit Fund was maturing, it was agreed that the funds are to be reinvested back into a Nationwide 1 year deposit fund which has an enhanced rate of interest. 

F16/008.4  Salary scales:  All Council staff are employed on standard  NJC salary scales and a national award has been agreed for the two years from 1 April 2016.  The effect is a 1% increase for each year and provision has been made in the current year budget.  The Committee was asked to agree that these increases are awarded.  It was noted that these are cost-of-living awards only and do not reflect any other changes resulting from salary reviews to be undertaken by the Governance and Staff Panel. (Ref:  NALC/SLCC 2016-18 National Salary Award – May 2016).   RESOLVED:  The National Salary award changes 2016-18 are adopted.   

F16/009.  PROJECTS:  

F16/009.1  Action List 2015/16:  The Committee was asked to note the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16.  

(Ref:  ACTION LIST 2015/16 rev12 2 June 2016) A discussion took place and it was agreed to reinstate the Albourne to Hassocks Cycle Path as a PC project. A meeting is to be held on Friday 17th June 2016 as the first action. 

F16/009.2  South Avenue Play Area:   

  1. (1) Contract start:  As advised to Council (Meeting 26 May 2016  Minute C16/011.4)  it had been agreed that the new play area construction was due to start on site  6 June  and complete 17 July 2016 in time for the start of the school summer holidays.  The committee is aware that representatives of the St Lawrence Fair Committee objected to the closure of the existing play area on Fair day 2 July 2016 and expressed concern to the contractor Kompan about potential problems with unauthorised access to the construction site during the Fair.  The contractor has been fully aware of the issues, and has satisfied the Council that the site would be securely sealed from unauthorised entry.   (Ref:  Kompan email   2 June 2016. The Committee were advised that there had been a delay with the start date.  The committee requested a detailed schedule from Kompan showing how the completion date is to be met given the delayed start. 
  1. (2) Contract extras:  At the pre-contract meeting on 19 May 2016 the contractor was asked to quote for refurbishment of the retained roundabout, including replacement of the surrounding surface and repainting.  The additional cost is £1,605 

+ VAT and it is proposed that this is absorbed into the Council’s CAPEX budget 2016/17.  (Ref:  Kompan Quote  18 May 


RESOLVED:  The Refurbishment of the roundabout is approved at a cost of £1,605 + VAT.   

F16/009.3  Street lighting Replacement Scheme:  Further to Council decision (Meeting 26 May 2016  Minute C16/011.2)  the Committee is advised that an application has been lodged to PWLB, via SSALC for £165,000.   

F16/010.1.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) Street lighting:   Nothing to report.   

F16/010.2  Toilets:  Nothing to report.   

F16/010.3  Trees:  Nothing to report.  

F16/010.4  Cemetery:   The Committee was advised that our appointed tree consultant has requested a letter from the 

Parish Council, regarding the replanting of 8 trees in the new Parkland. These will replace the 8 Swamp Cypress the 

Council are looking to remove from the Garden of Rest. The tree consultant is continuing talks with the Tree Officer at MSDC and will be applying for the Tree Preservation Order to be removed from the 8 Swamp Cypress.  The Committee agreed to the letter.  

F16/010.5  Recreation Grounds:   

  1. (1) Village Garden:  Further to the approval of Council (Meeting 26 May 2016 Minute C16/011.4) a licence has been issued to the organiser of the HM Queen Elizabeth II 90th birthday celebration on 12 June 2016.   
  2. (2) South Avenue Recreation Ground:  A licence is to be issued to Harris Fairs for 1 and 2 July 2016 in connection with the St Lawrence Fair.  As is normal practice, no charge is made.   

F16/010.6  Dog waste bins.  Nothing to report. 

F16/010.7  Buildings:   Nothing to report. 

F16/010.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F16/010.9  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a Customer log of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.   

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.32 pm    Chairman  

Related Posts