MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 7 July
2016 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.
Committee Members Present
|Stephen Hand (Chairman) Allan Brown Julia Shorrocks||Rodney Jackson Martin Machan|
Stephen Hoyles CLERK TO THE COUNCIL
F16/011. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest: The following Apologies were received prior to the meeting and accepted: John Lowman, Judith Marsh, Pam Mitchell. There were no declarations of interest. The Chairman welcomed newly co-opted Council Member Amanda Geel to her first committee meeting. Cllr Geel was not yet appointed to the committee but was in attendance.
F16/012. Minutes of the meetings of Finance + General Purposes Committee of 9 June 2016 : The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman.
F16/013. Matters arising from Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 9 June 2016: There were no matters not otherwise covered on this agenda.
F16/014. Adjournment for questions from the public: There being no public present the Committee was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Clause 1(d) of Standing Orders.
F16/015. FINANCIAL MATTERS:
F16/015.1 Payments and receipts: The Committee was asked to RESOLVE to approve payment of accounts totalling £9,661.83 for month 4 (July 2016) and the total receipts of £6,202.51 for Month 3 (June 2016). (Ref: Schedule 1 and 2 ). The Committee was also asked to approve a revision to the payments for Month 3 (June) of £13,928.15, the difference being the inclusion of Unity Bank charges and a late payment to MSDC for a planning application, and to note the revision of receipts for Month 2 (May) to £503.94, which included the additional £500.00 opening payment for the new bank account.
- (1) The Committee approves the schedule of payments of £9,661.83 for July 2016.
- (2) The Committee approves the revised schedule of payments of £13,928.15 for June 2016.
F16/015.2 Financial monitoring: The Committee noted the Accounts Records for Month 3 (June 2016)which werepresented at the meeting, in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, as follows:
- (1) Bank reconciliation and Trial Balance
- (2) Income and Expenditure schedules for quarter 1 (Month 3). A question was raised about Code 6019 and the repayment of PWLB loan and the budget provision. It was noted that the budget line was Code 1300.
F16/015.3. Deposits and Investment: The Committee noted that the Council was holding the following funds on the dates shown:
|6||24/09/2015||0.00||National savings NSI||‘138058219||Gratuity Fund|
F16/015.4 Internal Audit Report – 2014/15: The Committee was asked to receive and approve the Internal Audit
Report for the year ended 31 March 2016. In particular attention was drawn to the Summary Findings section (page 4 on).
A question was raised about the need to reintroduce the quarterly audit panel, as all audit checks were carried out by this Committee (section B – Financial Regulations). It was agreed that the Internal Auditor would be asked. (Ref: Internal Audit Report Year ended 31 March 2016 – 9 May 2016 )
RESOLVED: The Internal Audit Report for the year ended 31 March 2016 is received and approved.
F16/016.1 Action List 2015/16: The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16. It was noted that the Action List was the record of activities undertaken by the Parish Council, for projects it managed. There was discussion about the place for the proposed Cycle Route study, which was not a Parish Council project at this stage, but it was included in the Council’s Infrastructure Programme. (Ref: ACTION LIST 2015/16 rev12 2 June 2016 )
F16/016.2 South Avenue Play Area: Further to the report to Council on 30 June 2016 the Committee was asked to note that progress is being monitored and is continuing satisfactorily on site.
F16/017. OPERATIONS: (exception reports only) F16/017.1 Street lighting: Nothing to report.
- (1) The existing door at Trinity Road is corrode beyond repair and a new item is being installed at a cost of £995 + VAT.
- (2) The hand-dryers and wash unit annual maintenance contract has been renewed with Wallgate at a cost of £840 + VAT
- (3) The electricity supply contract for both toilets has been renewed for a further two years with EDF. This followed price comparisons with alternative suppliers.
F16/017.3 Trees: The following trees were scheduled for attention and would be addressed by a new contract in the autumn:
- 1) Chestnut adjacent to Bowls Club, South Avenue Recreation Ground: dead and will be felled.
- 2) Oak in St Georges Green: dead and will be felled.
- 3) Lime trees in South Avenue: to be pollarded. Similar trees on east side of road are responsibility of WSCC and attempts are being made to coordinate.
- 4) 8 x Swamp Cypresses in Cemetery: Application has been made to remove TPO status, pending their subsequent removal.
F16/017.4 Cemetery: Nothing to report.
F16/017.5 Recreation Grounds:
(1) South Avenue Recreation Ground: A licence had been issued to St Lawrence Fair Committee for 1 and 2 July
2016 in connection with the St Lawrence Fair. As is normal practice, no charge was made.
(2) Reeds Lane Recreation Ground: The Recent annual safety inspection by RoSPA revealed some structural weaknesses in the timber frames. A quotation has been received from the specialists Playdale for £1,621.50 + VAT for the repairs and it was recommended that this was accepted. Some discussion took place about the general condition and apparent lack of use of the existing equipment and it was agreed that investigations would be made into the possibility of replacing the childrens’ play equipment. (Ref: Playdale quote 22 June 2016)
RESOLVED: The Reeds Lane play equipment repairs are awarded to Playdale at a cost of £1,621.50 + VAT.
F16/017.6 Dog waste bins. Nothing to report.
F16/017.7 Buildings: It was reported that the Village Centre Association had calculated the rent for the year 2016/17 to be £2,400, in accordance with the 8% proportion of overheads as stipulated by the lease. (Ref: VCA email Village Centre 23 June 2016)
F16/017.8 Allotments: Nothing to report.
F16/017.9 Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a Customer log of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.
There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.06 pm Chairman