hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Finance & General Purposes Committee

January 7, 2016

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance + General Purposes Committee held at 8.00pm on Thursday 7 

January 2016 in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Committee Members Present 

Stephen Hand (Chairman) 
Allan Brown  
Rodney Jackson  
John Lowman 
Martin Machan 
Judith Marsh  
Julia Shorrocks    

Also Present:   

1  Member of the public 

Stephen Hoyles – CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 

F15/051. Apologies for Absence and Declarations of Interest: The following apologies for absence were received prior to the meeting and accepted:   Pam Mitchell.   There were no declarations of interest.   

F15/052.  Minutes of the Finance + General Purposes Committee of 10 December 2015:  The Minutes were received and adopted and signed by the Chairman.   

F15/053.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  The Committee considered whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public in attendance.   

RESOLVED :  The Committee Meeting is adjourned.   

A member of the public raised comments about the High Street, stating that the new layout was worse than before the changes, that more parking enforcement was required and its lack was affecting trade, that the wider pavements had made the situation worse, and that the build-out by the Mansion House steps was a problem.  It was also stated that the disabled bay markings are too feint.  The Chairman noted that these comments had been made by others and were noted by the Committee.  The Meeting then reconvened.   

F15/054.  FINANCIAL MATTERS:  

F15/053.1  Payments and receipts:  The Committee was asked to approve payment of accounts totalling £11,412.91 for month 10  (January), and noted that the schedule of receipts for month 9 December) was not yet available and would be reported to the next meeting of the Committee. (Ref: Payment Schedule January 2016) 

RESOLVED:  the Committee approves the schedule of payments of £11,412.91  for January 2016.  

F15/054.2  Financial monitoring:  The Committee noted that the Accounts Records  for Month 9 (December 2015), in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Council, were not yet available as the Bank Statements had not been received in time and would be reported to the next meeting of the Committee..  

F15/054.3.  Deposits and Investment:  The Committee noted that the Council is currently holding the following funds:   

Ref Statement Date Amount 
Bank Ref Comment 
   
   
30/09/2015 
40,248.99 CCLA ‘0663140001PC Deposit 
27/11/2015 
76,476.63 Cooperative ‘65190913 00 Current 
24/09/2015 
0.00 National savings NSI ‘138058219 Gratuity Fund 
07/07/2015 
51,418.59 Nationwide ‘90001826 Deposit 
 TOTAL 
168,144.21    

F15/054.4  Contracts:  No  report 

F15/054.5  Leases:  The new lease  forChantry Stable is awaited from solicitors Mayo Wynne Baxter.   

F15/054.6  Internal Audit (Interim visit 6 October 2015):  The Committee considered the Interim Audit Report and  noted the comments.  Particular attention was drawn to section (B) Financial Regulations, Standing Orders and Payment controls Item 4:  (page 22) which refers to the reporting of payments schedules to the Council.   

RESOLVED:  The Committee notes the Internal Audit interim report (6 October 2015). 

F15/055.  Budget 2016/17The Committee reviewed the DRAFT Budget 2016/17 which had been updated to include comments made at its meeting on 10 December 2015.  The DRAFT indicated a small revenue deficit of £461 and a projected surplus in capital funds of £194,000.  This latter figure is dependent on assumed income from s106 funds 

attached to the Parkland schemes.  A Precept increase of 2.9% had been applied, equating to an increase of 1.3% on a typical Band D property.  It was agreed that the CAPEX item for the Cycle route would be deleted (income and 

expenditure) and that £5,000 would be added as Business Enterprise CAPEX expenditure.  The WSCC Parish Community 

Project would remain.  The final iteration of the DRAFT Budget 2016/17 would be taken to Council for its meeting 21 January 2016.  (Ref:  BUDGET 2016/17  22 December 2015 V4) 

RECOMMENDATION to Council:  The Budget 2016/17 (V4) is adopted, with the adjustments agreed, and the precept set at  £184,191.   

F15/056.  PROJECTS:  

F15/056.1  Action List 2015/16:  The Committee noted the Action List for the Council Year 2015/16.  It is proposed that the List is routinely updated and reported to Committee. (Ref:  ACTION LIST 2015/16 rev7 30 December 2015 ) 

F15/056.2  South Avenue Play Area:  The Planning application had been lodged with MSDC.  The application for £100,000 s106 funds had also been lodged, but MSDC have advised that the funds have not yet been received from the developers (Chalkers Lane South development) and until that time, the matter cannot be approved by the District Council.  The Committee noted the BRIEFING NOTE which updated the programme, showing a target date of June 2016 for the construction.  The potential conflict with St Lawrence Fair was noted.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE South Avenue Play Area 24 December 2015) 

F15/056.3  Streetlight Replacement Scheme:  The tender documents were being prepared.  Discussion was taking place with SALC and the Public Works Loan Board regarding the loan application.  A specific proposal will be brought to Council when the details are finalised.  (Council is required to approve any loan.)  The Committee noted the BRIEFING 

NOTE which updated the programme, showing a target date of June 2016 for the construction.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE Streetlighting Replacement Scheme 7 January 2016) 

F15/056.4  High Street Improvements Scheme:  Following the Committee’s approval of the works to install the 20mph signs (Minute F15/047.3  Meeting 10 December 2015) an application had been made for £2,720 of s106 funds, to cover the cost of the works and associated fees.   (ref:  HP&SCPC  email to WSCC  22 December 2015.)   

F15/056.5  St Lawrence School – swimming pool cover:  The School had requested assistance from the Parish 

Council to apply for s106 funds towards the cost of a new swimming pool cover.  The total cost was approximately £94,000 and £20,000 was being sought from s106 funds.  The Parish Office had advised the School how to make an application to MSDC, but has explained that WSCC is also receiving significant sums of s106 funds through the primary and secondary school levies, and it might be appropriate to apply to WSCC directly.  The Committee agreed that it would recommend to Council that the Parish Council supports the application by the School, which should be met by either District Council or County Council allocated s106 funds. (Ref:  St Lawrence School – Tim Moulds note 1 December 2015)   RECOMMENDATION to Council:  The Council supports the application by St Lawrence School for £20,000 s106 funds under the Community Infrastructure section.   

F15/057.  OPERATIONS:  (exception reports only) 

F15/057.1  Street lighting:    It was reported that light #1 in Manor road, Hurstpierpoint was still unlit.  The issue is a cabling repair and UK Power Networks have so far been unable to access the area due to parked cars.   

F15/057.2  Toilets:  A lock required replacement at Trinity Road toilets.    

F15/057.3  Trees:  The tree survey is due to take place in January 2016.     

F15/057.4  Cemetery:  Nothing to report.   

F15/057.5  Recreation Grounds:  There has been an exchange of correspondence with the Tennis Club regarding the two piles of building waste left on land immediately south of the courts, in South Avenue Recreation Ground.  This waste followed the Club’s fence replacement project in November/December 2015.  The Club have been asked to remove the waste as it is a potential hazard in an area which can be accessed by the public.  

F15/057.6  Dog waste bins:  Nothing to report. 

F15/057.7  Buildings:   

F15/057.8  Allotments:   Nothing to report.   

F15/057.9  Public enquiries: The Committee was advised that the Parish Office maintains a  Customer log  of all public enquiries and which is available for inspection by Members.   

There being no other business the Chairman closed the meeting at   9.25   pm    Chairman  

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more