Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Finance & Governance Committee to be held on Thursday 20 January 2022 at 7.30pm in the Hurstpierpoint Village Centre Conference Room. Members of the public have a right to and are invited to attend the meeting.
Please note we strongly recommend the Government’s COVID guidelines are followed.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council & Responsible Finance Officer Friday 14 January 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Malcolm Llewellyn (Chair), Cllr Duncan Ranger (Vice-Chair), Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Rodney Jackson, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Claire Majsai, (plus two vacancies).
- Apologies for absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
- Declarations of interest: To note any declarations of interest.
3. Minutes of the previous meeting of the Finance & Governance Committee: To receive and adopt the minutes of the 9 December 2021 Finance & Governance Committee meeting.
4. Adjournment for questions from the public: To consider adjourning the meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, to receive questions from members of the public.
5. Payments and receipts for Month 9 (December 2021): To note:
5.1 Payments of £19,038.59 (excl. VAT). Please note this includes a transfer of £14,107.50 to the United Trust Bank for the 12 month Fixed Rate Bond renewal (see Agenda Item 7.3 below) and two S106 fund receipts from MSDC for the decking at Court Bushes totalling £16,149.
5.2 Receipts of minus £138,371.57 (VAT Not Applicable). Please note the £147,335.30 payment to the UK Debt Management Office for the Public Works Loans for Street Lighting is included as a minus receipt (i.e. expenditure from the Easement Income (see Information Item 10.1 below). Income also includes £16,149 of Section 106 grant for the external decking at Court Bushes Community Hub, received from MSDC.
6. Financial monitoring for Month 9 (December 2021): To note the account records in accordance with the Financial Regulations of the Parish Council, as follows:
6.1 Bank Reconciliations.
6.2 Balance Sheet.
6.3 Detailed Income and Expenditure by Budget Heading.
6.4 Q3 Vat Return.
7. Deposits and investments:
7.1 To note that as of Month 9 (December 2021),the Parish Council held the following balances:
|Financial Institution||Account Type||Maturity Date||Amount|
|Unity Trust||Current account||N/A||£237,835.84|
|Nationwide||95 Day Savings Account||95 days’ notice||£84,336.72|
|Cambridge & Counties BS||3 Year Fixed Term Bond||21/06/2022||£48,000.00|
|Cambridge & Counties BS||1 Year Fixed Term Bond||28/11/2022||£50,000.00|
|United Trust Bank||1 Year Fixed Term||18/12/2022||£100,000.00|
|Hodge Bank||1 Year Fixed Term||14/01/2022||£85,000.00|
7.2 To note the funds held in CCLA shares on 31 December 2021 of £46,000.31.
7.3 To note the United Trust Bank one year fixed term bond holding £85,000 plus £892.50 interest (total £85,892.50), matured on 17 December 2021 and the decision made at the 9 December 2021 Committee (Minute F21/22.069.4), to reinvest the balance and increase it to £100,000 in a one year fixed bond, was actioned. The transfer of £14,107.50 is shown in the 31 December 2021 accounts.
7.4 To note the Hodge Bank one year fixed term bond holding £85,000 (plus interest – total to be confirmed), matured on 14 January 2022 and the decision made at the 9 December 2021 Committee (Minute F21/22.069.5), to reinvest the balance and increase it to £100,000 in a one year fixed bond, will be actioned. The transfer will show in the 31 January 2022 accounts and be reported to the Committee next month.
8. Annual Review of Financial Risk: To consider the dedicated risk assessment for the financial risks of the Parish Council as recommended by the internal auditor report letter of 23 November 2021.
9. Lloyds Mastercard: To consider applying for the Unity Trust Bank offer of a Mastercard with Lloyds Bank to allow the Clerk and Responsible Finance Officer to make credit card payments on behalf of the Parish Council, only when authorised in writing by the Chairman or Chair of the respective Committee Budget.
10. To note any further information items, correspondence received or requests.
10.1 Street Lighting Loan Repayment in Full: To note that on 22 December 2021, the street lighting public works loans board loan was repaid in full following the decision made at the Council meeting on 16 December 2021 (Minute C21/22.098), as recommended by this Committee. To note the final figure required to be repaid was £147,335.30 due to the small increase in interest adjustment. A CHAP’s (bank to bank) transfer was required and a fee of £28.00 was charged accordingly.
10.2 Council Budget 2022/23: To note that on 4 January 2022, the precept required for 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023 was submitted to Mid Sussex District Council, following the decision made at the Council meeting on 16 December 2021 (Minute C21/22.099). Members agreed the 2022/2023 budget and the Precept requirement of £281,608, which based on the tax base figure confirmed by MSDC of 3,196.9, equates to a Band D equivalent Council Tax Precept payment of £88.09 per annum.
10.3 Ladies Walk: To note the signing of the Licence on 26 November 2021 between the Parish Council and the Hurstpierpoint Society for the land known as Ladies Walk as agreed at Council on 21 October 2021 (Minute C21/22.065.1).
The Committee is asked to RESOLVE that in view of the confidential nature of the following item, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
11. Land at Brown Twins Road – To consider correspondence from West Sussex County Council regarding two parcels of land at Brown Twins Road/Trinity Court owned by WSCC, one of which is currently leased to the Hurstpierpoint Society.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public film
ing, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.