MINUTES of the Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 28 July 2016 at 8.00pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.
Stephen Hand – Chairman Pam Mitchell
Allan Brown Steve Whitehead
Rosemary Burns Julia Shorrocks
Tony Lank Amanda Geel
3 members of the public
Peter Griffiths (WSCC Ward member)
Colin Trumble (MSDC Ward member)
Charlotte Kempson – Assistant Clerk
C16/029. Apologies for absence and declarations of interest: The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted: Rodney Jackson, David Evans, Judith Marsh, Martin Machan and Bob Sampson.
C16/030. Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 30 June 2016: The Council received and accepted the minutes which were then signed by the Chairman.
C16/031. Matters arising from the Minutes of the Council held on 30 June 2016:
(1) Minute C16/027. Co-option of Council Member: Following the co-option of Amanda Geel, which took effect 5 July 2016, the Council was asked to approve her appointment to the following committees:
a) Finance and General Purposes Committee, b) Planning committee, c) Parkland Advisory Board. Cllr Pam Mitchell has offered to step down from the Finance + General Purposes Committee to make a place available. RESOLVED: Cllr Amanda Geel is appointed to Planning Committee, Finance + General Purposes Committee, and Parkland Advisory Board. Pam Mitchell steps down from the Finance + General Purposes Committee.
C16/032. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Council considered whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 3(e) of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public in attendance.
RESOLVED: The Council meeting is adjourned.
Three members of the public raised their objections to the recent planning application DM/16/2743 – UK Cook Shop Ltd, 55-57 High Street Hurstpierpoint and noted that at the recent planning committee the parish council recommended permission. There was concern that the Parish Council had not seen the objections made to MSDC before the Planning Meeting was held.
The Chairman of Planning advised the application had been discussed at length and the decision was taken on planning issues. The members of the public were advised to contact MSDC with any further issues they felt may be relevant. The meeting then resumed.
C16/033. Reports from other authorities: The Council received verbal reports from representatives of other Authorities:
- (1) Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC): Cllr Colin Trumble reported the following: (1) The District Plan was on track. (2) Homelessness across Mid Sussex is a cause for concern; this is partly due to the increase in rents in the private rental sector. The meeting supported that MSDC and the Parish Council should jointly explore ways of addressing these issues.
- (2) West Sussex County Council County Local Committee (WSCC/CLC): Cllr Peter Griffiths reported the following: (1) West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service – The Police and Crime Commissioner’s attempt to take over was rejected. (2) Waste recycling services public consultation: several changes including opening times and charges are due to come into place as a result of the consultation, it was noted that Burgess Hill site would still open 7 days a week where other sites would reduce in the number of days. (3) New Broadband Service a notice will be sent to Parish Councils. (4) Cycle route – a video has been finalised with a proposed cycle route. (5) Love West Sussex – is now the official way to report any issues to WSCC concerning Highways.
- (3) Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC): Rodney Jackson was not available to report on this occasion.
C16/034. Committee and Working Group minutes: The Committee Chairmen or, in their absence the Vice-chairmen, introduced each Minutes, which the Council was asked to, receive and where appropriate, consider the RECOMMENDATIONS:
C16/034.1. Planning Committee (2 June 2016).
C16/034.2. Finance + General Purposes Committee (9 June 2016)
C16/034.3. Community Affairs Committee (21 July 2016)
(1) Parish Plan: The Committee considered this matter at its meeting 21 July 2016 and agreed to make a RECOMMENDATION to Council that the Parish Plan in its present form is approved. The Committee also noted the RECOMMENDATION of the Strategic Policy Working Group (see item 6.4 (2) below) that a Parish Plan Action List is now prepared.
RESOLVED: the Parish Community Life Plan 2016 – 21 is approved.
C16/034.4 Strategic Policy Working Group (5 July 2016)
- (1) Minute SP15/03. Terms of reference for Working Group: The Group noted the Terms of
Reference set by Council at its meeting 26 May 2016. It was suggested that the remit could include such matters as: review of staff and other resources, review of new initiatives that might be considered by Council, and appraisal of finances and strategic financial direction. It was agreed that the Working Group should ask Council to approve an extended remit.
RESOLVED: The Strategic Policy Working Group’s remit is extended as follows: To: a) establish priorities and delivery targets within achievable timescales;
- b) ascertain external influences that could impact on the ability to deliver, and on future plans;
- c) review resources;
- d) provide direction to ensure focussed delivery of Council’s objectives, including delegation where appropriate;
- e) establish clear lines of accountability with senior authorities and other organisations.
- (2) Minute SP15/05. Current issues: (1) Parish Plan: It was suggested that the Parish Office now prepares an Action Plan of specific costed and programmed events which arise from the Parish Plan, for consideration by this Working Group. The Action Plan would subsequently be published as the Parish Plan Action List. This Plan to be considered by Council and Community Affairs Committee, for comments. RESOLVED: A Parish Plan Action List (2016-21) is prepared for approval.
- (3) Minute SP15/05. Current issues: (4) Albourne to Hassocks Cycle route study: This matter had been under consideration for a number of years, but a recent application by the Hurstpierpoint Community Partnership to the WSCC CLC for funding for a study was refused. The Working Group noted that WSCC is currently assessing the feasibility of a route and is expected to make suggestions to the three Parish Councils involved: Albourne, Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common, and Hassocks. It was also noted that the matter had been discussed at the meeting of Chairmen with Hassocks PC on 29 June 2016, and a small task group comprising two representatives from each Parish would be appointed to liaise with WSCC.
RESOLVED: Julia Shorrocks and Stephen Hand are appointed to the Cycle Route task group, to work in conjunction with Hassocks Parish Council.
C16/034.5. Parkland Advisory Board (12 July 2016)
C16/035. Highfield Drive Parkland: The Council was asked to authorise Chairman and Vice-Chairman, acting on behalf of the Council, to sign the Transfer Deed for the acquisition of the Highfield Drive Parkland, Land Registry Title number WSX378743, referred to as COS1 in the s106 planning agreement. Council has previously approved the transfer of the land (Meeting 21 January 2016 Minute C15/089) (Ref: Transfer Deed – Land north Highfield Drive WSX378743).
RESOLVED: Council authorises Chairman and Vice-chairman acting on behalf of the Council, to sign the Transfer Deed for the acquisition of the Highfield Drive Parkland, Land Registry Title number WSX378743.
C16/036. Members’ Code of Conduct: The Council was asked to review the Council’s Code of Conduct, previously adopted 17 July 2014, and to confirm its adoption. (Ref: HP&SCPC Code of Conduct for Members – July 2016) The Chairman stressed the importance of all Councillors being familiar with and acting in accordance with the Code of Conduct.
RESOLVED: The Council adopts the Code of Conduct for Members – July 2016.
C16/037. Complaints Procedure: The Council was asked to review and adopt the COMPLAINTS
PROCEDURE which is based on the NALC guidelines handling complaints 2008. This was last approved by
Council July 2015 and no changes have been made since. (Ref: HP&SCPC COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE July 2015, NALC Complaints Guidelines 2008)
RESOLVED: The Council adopts the Complaints Procedure and NALC guidelines.
C16/038. Hassocks Parish Council: The Council was asked to note that the Chairman and Vice-chairman and Clerk met the Chairman and VC of Hassocks PC on 29 June 2016. Matters discussed included the use of Community Wardens, the Cycle Route, and the emerging Neighbourhood Plan.
C16/039. Information items, correspondence received and requests: The Council was asked to note:
- (1) WSCC What matters to you? Survey: The deadline for responses is 30 August 2016 and the Council was asked whether it wishes to make comments. (Ref: WSCC E-newsletter 5 July 2016) The council would not be making any comments.
- (2) WSCC CLC (County Local Committee) revisions: (Ref: WSCC ltr CLC 5 July 2016) the council requested a letter is sent objecting to the inclusion of Hayward Heaths in the revisions.
- (3) CPRE Summer Newsletter.
- (4) Local Green Infrastructure – Landscape Institute 2016.
- (5) WSCC Fire + Rescue Service – Community Risk Management Plan Consultation: A
consultation is taking place with a closing date of 5 August 2016. (Ref: WSCC Fire + Rescue Service – Community Risk Management Plan Consultation: email 12 July 2016)
- (6) Mid Sussex District Council – District plan 2016: The Clerk attended a MSDC workshop on 8 July 2016. (Ref: Notes of Meeting 8 July 2016)
There being no other business the Chairman closed the Meeting at 9.33pm.