hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Full Council

September 22, 2016

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 22 September 2016 at 8.00pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Members Present 

Stephen Hand  –  Chairman  Martin Machan  

Rosemary Burns  Judith Marsh  

David Evans Pam Mitchell  

Rodney Jackson Julia Shorrocks 

Tony Lank  Amanda Geel 

John Lowman  Also Present:   

Peter Griffiths (WSCC Ward member) 

John Wilkinson (MSDC Ward member)    

Stephen Hoyles  CLERK TO THE  COUNCIL  

C16/042.  Apologies for absence and declarations of interest:  The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted:  Allan Brown, Bob Sampson, Steve Whitehead.  There were no declarations of interest.   

C16/043.   Minutes of the Meetings of the Council held on 28 July 2016 and  11 August 2016:  

The Council received and accepted the minutes which were then signed by the Chairman.    

RESOLVED:  The Minutes of the Council meetings of 28 July 2016 and  11 August 2016 are approved. 

C16/044.  Matters arising from the Minutes of the Council held on 28 July 2016  and 11 August 

2016:   There were no matters arising from the Minutes which are not covered elsewhere on this agenda.  

C16/045.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There were no members of the public present and the Council was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders.  

C16/046.  Reports from other authorities:  The Council  received the following verbal reports from representatives of other Authorities:  

  1. (1) Mid Sussex District Council   (MSDC):  Cllr john  Wilkinson  reported:  (1)  Revisions to Cabinet and staff structure:  The Council had just concluded changes to Cabinet positions and senior staff appointments, resulting in fewer Heads of Service.  (2)  District Plan:  this had been submitted on 15 August 2016 and the Inspector’s initial response and questions had been received.  MSDC had affirmed their strategy of only allocating strategic housing sites of over 500 units, and leaving Neighbourhood Plans to submit their proposals for further housing.  It was expected that MSDC would be responding substantially to the Inspector’s questions by the end of September 2016 and they remained hopeful that the Examination in Public (EiP) would take place in late 2016.  (3)  3SC Devolution:  This matter was progressing and it was hoped that some Government announcement would accompany the ‘Autumn Statement’.  The devolution bid included a request for approximately £300 M pa infrastructure spending in the three counties.   
  2. (2) West Sussex County Council County Local Committee   (WSCC/CLC) :  Cllr Peter Griffiths reported:  (1)  Woodlands Mead special needs School, Burgess Hill: a recent meeting had been held with stakeholders who had been concerned about lack of provision for all ages.  WSCC was exploring the matter.  (2)  High Street:  WSCC was included in the joint group seeking to resolve the outstanding issues.  (3) 3 in 1 travel card:  concerns had been raised by the public when this concession had been withdrawn by WSCC.  Concerns included the burden on families whose children travelled by bus to school, affecting many in Hurstpierpoint.  A question was raised about the future of Central Sussex College following its closure in early 2016, and the redistribution of existing students to alternate colleges.  It was noted that the funding and management of FE colleges was not a WSCC matter, although they were understandably concerned about the process.  
  3. (3) Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC) :  Rodney Jackson advised that there had been no  meetings to report.   

C16/047.  Committee and Working Group minutes:  The Committee Chairmen (or in their absence the vice-chairmen)  introduced each Minutes, which the Council was asked to receive and where appropriate, consider the RECOMMENDATIONS::  

C16/047.1   Planning Committee (4 August and 1 September 2016)  

C16/047.2  Finance + General Purposes Committee (11 August and 8 September  2016) 

C16/047.3  Community Affairs Committee  (15 September 2016)  It was noted that this meeting had been postponed to 27 September 2016.   

C16/047.4  Strategic Policy Working Group  (6 September 2016)  

(1)  Minute SP16/09.  Current issues:  (1)  Parish Plan  ACTION PLAN  2016 -21:  The Working 

Group had reviewed the Draft Action Plan which had been produced following the publication of the Parish 

Council’s Parish Community Life Plan  2016-21, in June 2016.  At its meeting 28 July 2016 (Minute C16/034.4 ) the Council agreed to adopt the Parish Community Life Plan  and to then produce the Action Plan.  The purpose of the Action Plan is to distil the themes and aspirations of the Community Life Plan  into specific tasks, with appropriate timescales and cost projections, and to identify the necessary resources.   

The Parish Council also has other projects and aspirations, which have emerged through the Neighbourhood Plan (March 2015), the Council’s Infrastructure Programme, and Committee decisions.  It is intended that the Parish Action Plan captures all these initiatives and becomes the Council’s definitive document for the period 2016-21.   

The distribution of tasks to Committees and Working Groups was noted.  The matter of ‘Quiet Lanes’ was raised and noted that WSCC would be investigating this matter.  Items 35 (Grass verges enhancement scheme) and 36 (High Street enhancement scheme) were noted as requiring further investigation before being confirmed.  It was noted that the Action Plan would be published but it was not intended that further public consultation would take place.  However, there might well be consultation on individual items, depending on their scale.   

 (Ref:  Parish Plan  ACTION LIST 2016 -21   -Rev 2: 31.08.2016 DRAFT) 

RESOLVED:  The Parish Plan  ACTION PLAN  2016 -21 (Rev 2) is adopted as the Council’s task list.   

C16/048.  Councillor vacancies: The Council noted the resignation of Matthew Stokes from Council on 28 

July 2016 due to work commitments, and expressed its thanks to his significant contribution in recent years.  Following the Meeting of Council a Notice of Vacancy would be published inviting electors to request a poll, as required by law.  If no such request is received with the prescribed time then the Council may co-opt a member.  

(Ref:  Local Government Act 1972 s87)  

RESOLVED:  The Council notes the resignation of Matthew Stokes and the publication of a Notice of Vacancy.    

C16/049.  Routine Annual Reviews:  The Council was asked to consider the following and approve as required:   

  1. (1) Standing Orders – Review:  The Council reviewed its Standing Orders which were last approved in 

September 2015.   (Ref:  HP&SCPC Standing Orders(NALC 2013)  September 2016 )   

RESOLVED: The Council confirms adoption of the Model Standing Orders (NALC 2013) September 2016 

  1. (2) Freedom of information:  The Council reviewed its Freedom of Information policy which was last adopted in September 2015.  The matter of ‘Data Subject’ requests was raised and it was agreed that investigations would be made into developing a suitable policy.    (Ref:  Freedom of Information Publication scheme  –  September 2015.)  

RESOLVED:  the Council confirms adoption of the Freedom of Information publication scheme  from September 2016.   

  1. (3) PROTOCOL for filming and recording at public meetings:  The Council was asked to confirm the Protocol which was last adopted in September 2015.  Concerns were expressed about the inappropriate and uncontrolled use of video items on social media, and it was agreed that investigations would be made into what sanctions might be available. (Ref:  PROTOCOL for filming and recording at public meetings 7 September 2015) RESOLVED:  the Council confirms the PROTOCOL for filming and recording at public meetings. 
  1. (4) Internal Audit – Review of effectiveness of Internal Control  2016/17  –  Internal Control Arrangements:  The Council is asked to confirm the review which was last adopted in September 2015.  It was agreed that ‘Member Training’ attendance had improved and should no longer be noted on the schedule.  (Ref:   

Internal Audit – Review of effectiveness of Internal Control  2016/17) 

RESOLVED:  the Council confirms the Review of effectiveness of Internal Control  2016/17  –  Internal Control Arrangements. 

  1. (5) Clerks delegated powers:  The Council was asked to confirm the Clerk’s delegated powers.  The only change since last approved by Council is Finance item 1, to account for internet banking arrangements.  (Ref  Financial Regulations  – 22 May 2014)  (Ref:s101  Local government Act 1972;  Clerk’s Delegated Powers – 6 

September 2016) 

  RESOLVED:  the Council confirms the Clerk’s delegated powers (6 September 2016)    C16/050.   Information items, correspondence received and requests:    The Council noted:  

  1. (1) SALC AGM :   Monday 17 October 2016, Pulborough.  (Ref:  SALC ltr  2 September 2016) 
  2. (2) Local Government Boundary Commission:  The final recommendations have been published.  (Ref:  LGBC  ltr and map 16 August 2016)   
  3. (3) High Street closure:   An application had been made for the closure of the High Street for the Remembrance Day Parade  on 13 November 2016.  The Council confirmed that it had no objection.  (Ref:  MSDC email 16 September 2016 – High Street closure  Remembrance Day Parade)  

C16/051.  CONFIDENTIAL Matters:   The Council was asked to determine whether to close the meeting to the public and the press under the Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960  to discuss the following  item: 

(1)  Governance + Staff Panel –  Staff Salary Reviews.   

RESOLVED:  the Council agrees  to close the meeting to the public and the press under the Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960   

There being no other business the Chairman closed the Meeting at     9.26 pm.  


Related Posts