MINUTES of the Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 18 January 2018 at 8.00pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.
|Stephen Hand – Chairman Allan Brown Peter Griffiths Steve Whitehead Rodney Jackson Julia Shorrocks||Malcolm Llewellyn John Lowman Tony Lank Martin Machan Claire Majsai|
Joy Dennis (WSCC Ward member)
John Wilkinson (MSDC Ward member)
Charlotte Kempson ASSISTANT CLERK
C17/088. Apologies for absence and declarations of interest: The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted: Rosemary Burns, Bob Sampson, Amanda Geel and Anthony Watts Williams (MSDC Ward member).
There were no declarations of interest.
C17/089. Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 14 December 2017: The Council received and accepted the minutes.
RESOLVED: The Minutes of the Council meeting of 14 December 2017 are adopted.
C17/090. Matters arising from the Minutes of the Council held on 14 December 2017: There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.
C17/091. Adjournment for questions from the public: There being no members of the public present the Council was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders.
C17/092. Reports from other authorities: Council received verbal reports from representatives of other Authorities:
- (1) Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC): Cllr John Wilkinson reported: (1) District Plan: A hearing is to be held regarding the Land North of Clayton Mills, Hassocks on Monday 5th February 2018, commencing at 2pm, and will take place at Clair Hall, Haywards Heath. The call for sites information received is now being considered and will inform the preparation of the SHELAA. The Council has an ‘open’ register where developers, landowners and agents can still submit information at any time. (2) Mayfields – although this site is not part of the District Plan, the Council are expecting a planning application to be submitted soon.
- (2) West Sussex County Council County Local Committee (WSCC/CLC): Cllr Joy Dennis reported: (1) Traffic and highways: a meeting was requested with members of WSCC, MSDC and the Parish Council to attend to discuss any issues. (2) WSCC are currently in the process of purchasing new Speed Indicator Devices (SID). (3) Watershed project, funds are available and it was suggested that they could be used to help alleviate the problems along Reeds Lane. Recent flooding has occurred along the South end of
Malthouse Lane. (5) A councillor surgery is to take place on Saturday 24th February 2018. (6) A2300 consultation on the provision of bridleways and footpaths will take place in the spring of 2018. (7) A task group has been set up by WSCC concerning school funding. (8) With the recent case of Avian Flu, DEFRA has put in place compulsory regulations for poultry keepers as of 18th January 2018.
- (3) Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC): Rodney Jackson reported: (1) MSALC conference is to be held on Friday 23rd February 2018 in the Council Chamber, Haywards Heath. (2) The NALC prospectus is now available. (2) Tax on holiday or second homes is going to be increased. (3) The Tree Charter has been launched, led by the Woodland Trust to encourage the planting of more trees replacing those that have been felled. (4) Councils are to be made more aware of the existing powers they have when dealing with members of the public and Freedom of Information requests.
C17/093. Committee and Working Group minutes: The Committee Chairmen (or in their absence the vice-chairmen) introduced each Minutes, which the Council was asked to, receive and where appropriate, consider the RECOMMENDATIONS:
C17/093.1 Strategic Policy Working Group (3 January 2018)
C17/093.2 Cycle Path Working Group (4 January 2018)
CP17/03. Terms of Reference: The Council had not provided terms of reference and it was therefore suggested that the following be agreed:
- a) To assess the current cycle use and demands of the Parish area and to project estimated changes over the period 2018-28.
- b) To Identify cycling commuter requirements and nodal points and offer proposed routes
- c) To identify cycle leisure requirements and offer proposed routes
- d) To liaise with WSCC and neighbouring Parish Councils as appropriate.
- e) To arrange public consultation where and when appropriate.
- f) To make recommendations to Council if and when specific permissions or spending are required.
RESOLVED: The CYCLEPATH WORKING GROUP Terms of reference are adopted.
C17/093.3 Planning Committee (21 December 2017, 4 January 2018)The Council were advised that the new paperless system had been trialled at the January meeting.
C17/093.4 Finance + General Purposes Committee (11 January 2018)
C17/093.5 Parkland Management Committee (16 January 2018) The Council noted that the second parcel of land had been transferred and monies received. A meeting is to take place with the contractor regarding the preparatory works.
C17/094. Budget 2018/19: Council was asked to approve the Budget and Precept for 2018/19. This followed the RECOMMENDATION from Finance + General Purposes Committee (Meeting 11 January 2018). It was noted that the Revenue Budget indicates a surplus of £62 on expenditure of £249,295. The CAPEX Budget shows a deficit of £34,600 on expenditure of £117,600. It was predicted that the total funds would increase from £238,046 to £399,973 at 31 March 2018.
It is proposed that there is a 2% increase in Band D Council Tax (to £68.32) which, with a 2.5% increase in the Tax Base, provides for a 4.5% increase in Precept to £202,602. (Ref: Budget 2018/19 V3 5 December 2017 ATTACHED; BRIEFING NOTE 2017/18 Budget and Precept 22 December 2016) RESOLVED:
- (1) Budget 2018/19 (V3 5 December 2017) is approved as amended by Finance and General Purposes Committee on 11th January 2018.
- (2) The Precept 2018/19 is set at £202,602 equating to an increase on the Band D Council Tax of 2%.
C17/095. Court Bushes Community Hub: The Council was asked to note thatfollowing the decision in principle of Council (26 October 2017 minute C17/059) the Clerk has attended a meeting with MSDC and other potential stakeholders on 28 November 2017, with representatives of the Point Church and Ex-servicemen Club on 7 December 2017, and with MSDC and other stakeholders on 19 December 2017. The building is currently unoccupied and in the possession of MSDC. The Parish Office had produced a ‘scoping note’ (ATTACHED) which proposes a route map for creating a community hub. This approach is being supported by MSDC who have agreed to grant a lease to the Parish Council, subject to terms being agreed. Reference is made to Strategic Policy Working Group Minute SP17/24 (meeting 3 January 2018) and the suggested issues to be considered, as follows:
- a) Discussions are held with MSDC regarding either a long lease or a possible transfer of the freehold of the building.
- b) The Parish Council would agree to assume responsibility for the building only with a satisfactory lease or ownership, and sufficient guarantees from MSDC regarding the funding and implementation of the refurbishment.
- c) The proposals are developed on the basis that the Parish Council has responsibility for the building and other parties are users. The lease or ownership would not be shared with others.
- d) Invitations would be issued for selection of a suitable architect to undertake a feasibility and sketch layouts.
(The appointment of an architect would be taken to Council for approval.)
- e) A building surveyor would be instructed to prepare a structural survey report.
Meanwhile it was proposed that a small Court Bushes Community Hub Working Group is formed, comprising five members, with the remit to negotiate terms of the lease, to develop a refurbishment plan, to identify funding sources, and to secure long-term partner users, and bring all matters to Council for approval. It is suggested that the members comprise: Allan Brown, John Lowman, Martin Machan, Malcolm Llewellyn and Claire Majsai. (REF:
BRIEFING NOTE Court Bushes scoping 6 December 2017)
RESOLVED: A Court Bushes Community Hub Working Group is formed comprising Allan Brown, John Lowman, Martin Machan, Malcolm Llewellyn and Claire Majsai.
C17/096. Dementia awareness: The Council was asked to note the minutes of the meeting which took place 14 December 2017 at which a number of Members attended. (Meeting Notes Dementia 14 December 2017). A discussion took place and the Council is keen for an Action Plan to be put in place to move the project forward.
C17/097. Information items, correspondence received and requests: Council was asked to note
(1) General Data Protection Regulations: Update from SSALC 8 December 2017
There being no other business the Chairman closed the Meeting at 9.14 pm.