hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Full Council

February 22, 2018

MINUTES of the Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 22 February 2018 at 8.00pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.  

Members Present 

Stephen Hand –  Chairman   Allan Brown   David Evans  Amanda Geel  Rodney Jackson   Malcolm Llewellyn    John Lowman  Tony Lank   Martin Machan   Claire Majsai   Bob Sampson   Steve Whitehead    

Also Present:   

Stephen Hoyles  CLERK TO THE COUNCIL 

C17/098.  Apologies for absence and declarations of interest:  The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted:   Rosemary Burns,  Peter Griffiths, Julia Shorrocks,  Joy Dennis (WSCC Ward member),  John Wilkinson (MSDC Ward member) ,  Anthony Watts Williams (MSDC Ward member),  Colin Trumble (MSDC Ward member).  There were no declarations of interest.   

C17/099.  Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 18 January 2018:  The Council received and accepted the minutes.   

RESOLVED:  The Minutes of the Council meeting of 18 January 2018 are adopted. 

C17/100.  Matters arising from the Minutes of the Council held on 18 January 2018:  There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.   

C17/101.  Adjournment for questions from the public:  There being no members of the public present the Council was not required to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders.  

C17/102.  Reports from other authorities:  Council received verbal reports from representatives of other 

Authorities:  

  1. (1) Mid Sussex District Council   (MSDC):  The Council received and noted a written report from Cllr John 

Wilkinson.  It was further reported that the Parish Council Chairman and Cllr Steve Whitehead would be joining WSCC and MSDC councillors for an  open surgery on 24 February 2018 at the New Inn, Hurstpierpoint.  Also, the meeting was advised that MSDC had now removed the cricket nets from Berrylands Recreation Ground, Sayers Common, and had said that they would only replace them if a satisfactory economic case was submitted.  

(Ref:  Extract from J Wilkinson email 22 February 2018)  

  1. (2) West Sussex County Council County Local Committee   (WSCC/CLC):  The Council received and noted a written report from Cllr Joy Dennis (WSCC Ward member).   It was further noted that WSCC had arranged for a new SID (Speed Indicator Device) to be purchased by Bolney Volunteers, but had requested that this Parish Council store the SID when not in active use.  (Ref:  Extract from J Dennis email 22 February 2018) (3)  Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC):  Rodney Jackson reported that he was due to attend the MSALC  conference on 23 February 2018.   

C17/103.  Committee and Working Group minutes:  The Committee Chairmen (or in their absence the vice-chairmen) introduced each Minutes, which the Council was asked to, receive and where appropriate, consider the RECOMMENDATIONS:  

C17/103.1  Community Affairs Committee (25 January 0218)   

C17/103.2   Planning Committee (1 February 2018) 

C17/103.3  Finance + General Purposes Committee  (8 February 2018) 

(1)  F17/074.3.  Street scene Improvements Scheme:  Further to the report to Council (Minute C16/100  

23 March 2017( and Council approval  (Minute C17/074  23 November 2017) invitations were issued to 5 contractors but proposals received from just one.  However, this was from an experienced contractor and the price was within the cost estimates and budget, and it was recommended that the contract be awarded to Greenscene Landscapes for the sum of £5,277.00+VAT (allocated to cost code 6045).  However, it was reported that the Council had received three objections from members of the public, claiming that the floral posts were unnecessary and would add hindrances to the High Street.  There had also been some comments on social media.  Under the circumstances the Committee agreed to bring the matter back to Council for further consideration.   

Council debated the matter and agreed that the scheme should proceed without the floral posts, and that the selected contractor would be asked to re-submit their price.  Approval of the revised price would be subject to the 

Council’s Financial Regulations and the decision delegated to Chairman and VC of Finance + General Purposes Committee.  (Ref: BRIEFING NOTE Tenders self-watering flower baskets, poles and flower beds in 

Hurstpierpoint – 30 January 2018) 

RESOLVED:  The Streetscene Improvements Scheme is modified to remove the floral posts but retain the flower beds.  The selected contractor is asked to recalculate the contract price accordingly.   

C17/103.4  Parkland Advisory Board  (13 February 2018)  Council noted the planned ‘Walkabout’ starting at 10.00am Saturday 3 March 2018 at the Parish Office.  This was for Advisory Board  and Council Members.   

C17/103.5  Staff Panel:  (20 February 2018)  The Chairman advised Council that Assistant Clerk Roberta Taylor had decided to retire effective end of April 2018.  The Panel had considered the implications and the growing workload on the Staff Team and agreed to seek to recruit a replacement full-time Assistant Clerk, having a revised job description.  Detailed proposals would be brought to Council in due course.   

C17/104.  Court Bushes Community Hub:  Further to Council decision to investigate the acquisition of the Court Bushes building  (Minute C17/061 –  26 October 2017  and C17/094  18 January 2018) the Council noted progress on the matter.  A further meeting had  taken place 15 February 2018 with MSDC to discuss options for the acquisition or lease of the building and discussions were ongoing.  Finance + General Purposes Committee  (F17/074.4   8 February 2018) had approved the appointment of a chartered surveyor to prepare a structural survey report, as an aid to discussions with MSDC.  The Council was now asked to agree to select an architect, who would be appointed once negotiations with MSDC had reached a satisfactory stage of commitment, as agreed by the Court Bushes Community Hub Working Group.   A brief had been prepared and invitations issued to four firms and responses received from three by 11 February 2018.  It was recommended that architect David Jenkins Design is selected for Stage 1 at a cost of £3,050 + VAT but is only appointed with the agreement of the 

Working Group.  (Ref:  BRIEFING NOTE Court Bushes Community Hub – Appointment of architect  14 February 

2018;  BRIEF for Appointment of Architect  3 January 2018) 

RESOLVED:  Architect David Jenkins Design is selected for Court Bushes Stage 1 design, at a cost of £3,050 + VAT but is only appointed with the agreement of the Working Group 

C17/105.  Dementia awareness:  Further to the seminar which took  place 14 December 2017 at which a number of Members attended, the Council considered the forming of  Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common Dementia Action Alliance.  In discussion it was agreed that such an alliance would require the prior commitment of key groups, before the Council could commit to further action.  It was agreed that the matter would be deferred until the other groups had confirmed their involvement.   (BRIEFING NOTE  Dementia Awareness 14 February 2018)  

RESOLVED:  The Council supports of forming a Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common Dementia Action Alliance, but requires commitments from other key groups before moving to the next steps.   

C17/106  Parish Action Plan 2016-21:  Council noted the current Action Plan.  It was agreed that the Plan  should be updated to reflect current projects.    (REF:  PARISH ACTION PLAN 2016-21  Rev 5  12 Feb 2018) 

C17/107.  Police matters:  Council noted that a joint meeting of the Neighbourhood Watch group  and 

Sussex Police, attended by the Chairman, some members and the Clerk  from the Parish Council,  took place 9 February 2018.  This was in response to an episode of three attacks in Hurstpierpoint in January 2018.  Following the action of Council Chairman in contacting the District Commander and the involvement of the Neighbourhood Watch group, the Police had increased their patrols in the area and were actively investigating the incidents.  The Council posted notices on its website and Facebook, advising the public of the action being taken.  (Ref:  Neighbourhood Watch  – Minutes of meeting 9 February 2018)   

C17/108.   Information items, correspondence received and requests:    Council noted: 

  1. (1) West Sussex County Council – Sussex Day 16 June 2018:  The Council has been advised of this day and asked if they are proposing any particular activities.  It was agreed that checks should be made to ensure that this did not conflict with the St Lawrence Fair and the planned opening of the Hurst Meadows.   (Ref:  WSCC letter  6 February 2018)  
  2. (2) Sussex Police – SSALC: Minutes of meeting 17 November 2017 ) 

There being no other business the Chairman closed the Meeting at     9.05 pm.  

  Chairman 

Related Posts

Community Forum

SAVE THE DATE: Thursday 26th January 2023 - 10am-12pm We would like to invite Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common...

read more