MINUTES of the Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 25 October 2018 at 8.00pm in the Village Hall, London Road, Sayers Common.
|Rodney Jackson – Chairman for the meeting David Evans Amanda Geel Peter Griffiths John Lowman||Tony Lank Martin Machan Bob Sampson Julia Shorrocks Steve Whitehead|
Joy Dennis (WSCC Ward member)
Stephen Hoyles CLERK TO THE COUNCIL
5 members of the public
In the absence of both the Chairman and Vice-chairman Council resolved to appoint Cllr Rodney Jackson as Chairman of the meeting.
RESOLVED: That Cllr Rodney Jackson is Chairman for the meeting.
Cllr Jackson welcomed Cllr Peter Griffiths to the meeting, following his recent absence due to illness.
C18/058. Apologies for absence and declarations of interest: The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted: Allan Brown, Stephen Hand, Rosemary Burns, Malcolm Llewellyn, Claire Majsai, Colin Trumble (MSDC Ward member), Anthony Watts Williams (MSDC Ward member), John Wilkinson (MSDC Ward member). There were no declarations of interest.
C18/059. Minutes and Confidential Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on
27 September 2018: The Council received and accepted the minutes.
RESOLVED: The Minutes and Confidential minutes of the Council meeting of 27 September 2018 are adopted.
C18/059. Matters arising from the Minutes of the Council meeting held on 27 September 2018: There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.
C18/060. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Council considered whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public in attendance.
RESOLVED: The meeting is adjourned in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders.
Three members of the public from Sayers Common raised matters as follows: (1) It was reported that a resident had met a representative from WSCC Highways regarding the proposed gateway on London Road (north end). The member of the public said that the location was not appropriate due to poor sightlines from Oakhurst, and should be moved further north. In response the Chairman confirmed that the matter would be investigated with WSCC before the location was finalised. (2) A member of the public said that the road noise from the A23 was becoming more noticeable, and asked when a quiet surface was planned. In response Cllr Dennis (WSCC) advised that this was a Highways England responsibility, but that she would pass on the comment. (3) A member of the public representing Sayers Common Village Society advised that he had met a representative from WSCC regarding tree planting in the verges. A request was also made for a grant for further planting in 2019/20. In response the Chairman advised that the grant request would be considered as part of the Budget preparation process. Secondly, the bus shelter required some repairs and a request was made for a window to be placed on the south wall. Thirdly, The Society had offered a nominee to attend the Council’s Reeds Lane Play area working group. Fourthly, concern was expressed that there was no reference to the town-twinning on the proposed gateways at Sayers Common, which should be corrected. In response, the Chairman advised that the existing signs made no reference to the twinning and that the Twinning Association had not raised the matter when consulted on the gateways. However, the matter would be investigated.
The meeting then resumed.
C18/060. Reports from other authorities: Council received verbal reports from representatives of other Authorities:
- (1) Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC) Colin Trumble (MSDC Ward member) had submitted a report which was relayed by the Clerk: (1) The Court Bushes Community Hub was progressing, with construction proceeding on site, and detailed discussions taking place with the Parish Council and potential users regarding the delivery of the project. The scheme remained on target for opening in spring 2019. (2) The NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework) revised version 2018 had been reviewed by the District Council planners and a briefing had been given to Council Members. A copy of the briefing would be circulated to Parish Council Members. (3) The District Council was initiating ideas to encourage the economic development of village ‘high streets’ and Cllr Trumble was very keen to encourage any promotion of activity for the local shops in Hurstpierpoint.
- (2) West Sussex County Council County Local Committee (WSCC/CLC) Joy Dennis (WSCC
Ward member) reported: (1) The shared SID (speed indicator device) would shortly be available for the Parish. (2) The Community TRO (Traffic Regulation Orders) application was being progressed, for revised parking arrangements. (3) Twineham Lane would be closed for up to 6 months for major water main replacements, and other short-term closures were planned for pothole repairs in Reeds Lane, Hassocks Road, College Lane. (4) Concerns were known about long-term parking of large vans on Brighton Road, which were being investigated. It was noted that overnight sleeping in parked vehicles on the highway was not permitted. (5) A2300 dualling consultation: Cllr Dennis agreed to make comments and offer advice under item Minute C18/062: A2300 Corridor Improvements Scheme.
- (3) Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC): Rodney Jackson advised that he attended the WSALC AGM and Conference on 2 October 2018 at which the following of particular interest were considered: the military covenant (and concerns for military families that were frequently moved, and the care of veterans in the County); encouraging Parish Councils to partner with local groups in encouraging community engagement; and the trend of senior councils devolving operations to parish and town councils. Cllr Jackson advised that he was no longer the WSALC representative on the NALC policy committee. Cllr Jackson advised that he attended the MSALC meeting on 10 October 2018 at which the recent MSDC SHELAA housing sites process was condidered.
C18/061. Committee and Working Group minutes: The Committee Chairmen introduced each Minutes, which the Council was asked to receive and where appropriate, consider the RECOMMENDATIONS:
C18/061.1 Planning Committee (4 October 2018)
C18/061.2 Strategic Policy Working Group (9 October 2018) (Confidential minutes)
C18/061.3 Finance + General Purposes Committee (11 October 2018)
C18/061.4 Court Bushes Working Group (16 October 2018)
C18/061.5 Hurst Meadows Management Committee (18 October 2018) (Minutes to follow)
C18/062. A2300 Corridor Improvements Scheme: Council was asked to offer comments in response to the public consultation on the Scheme. The closing date was 28 October 2018. Consultative drop-in sessions had taken place at various location in September 2018 and at the Hurstpierpoint Village Centre on 3 October 2018 and a comprehensive leaflet made available. In discussion it was agreed that the Council would respond with the following and the Clerk was instructed to finalise the formal response:
- 1. Non-vehicular links: existing routes for pedestrians (footpaths), bridleways and cycle routes must not severed or significantly impeded. In particular the north-south routes provided by the minor roads, Stairbridge and Bishopstone Lanes. The provision of safe crossing points is essential.
- 2. Impact on minor roads: concern that the effects of the Scheme will be to cause local traffic to find alternative routes in order to shorten their journey. For example, the Bolney Grange Industrial exiting traffic will be tempted to run north in Stairbridge Lane, rather than the circuitous route proposed. Also, exiting traffic from the new Business Hub (adjacent to Cuckfield Road) will be tempted to run south on Cuckfield Road. In both cases mitigation methods are suggested at the junctions, to force existing traffic onto the A2300.
- 3. Landscaping: disappointment that a full EIA was not undertaken for this scheme but keen to ensure that full landscaping, by reinforcing indigenous planting, is provided wherever practicable alongside the road, to protect and enhance visual and habitat impact.
(REF: A2300 Corridor Improvements Scheme consultation leaflet – September 2018 )
RESOLVED: The Council submits its comments on the A2300 Corridor Improvements Scheme.
C18/063. Routine Annual Reviews: The Council considered the following and approved as required:
- (1) Bank mandate: The Financial Regulations (section 1.14) require the Council to annually review the bank mandate signatories. The current arrangements were that any two from the following list of Members must sign any authorisation or cheque for any of the Council’s bank accounts: Rodney Jackson, Stephen Hand, Allan Brown, Tony Lank and Bob Sampson.
RESOLVED: The Council approves the bank mandate as requiring any two of the following Members to authorise bank transactions and instructions: Rodney Jackson, Stephen Hand, Allan Brown, Tony Lank, Bob Sampson.
- (2) WSCC Pensions: Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP): Council was asked to approve the standard Procedure, which is put in place in the event of an issue regarding staff pension provision. (REF: WSCC Pensions: Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP) Sept 2018 )
RESOLVED: The Council approves the WSCC Pensions Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP).
C18/064. Christmas 2018 arrangements:
- (1) Christmas reception – Monday 17 December 2018: The Chairman invited suggestions for a Christmas reception of Council Members and it was agreed that a repeat of the previous event at the New Inn should be explored.
- (2) Parish Office: Council considered the following: The public holidays this Christmas are Tuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 December 2018 and Tuesday 1 January 2019. The experience was that the period between Christmas and the New Year was extremely quiet and a number of businesses and organisations do not operate during this time. It was therefore proposed that the Parish Office closes at midday Monday 24 December 2018 and reopens 9.00 am Wednesday 2 January 2018. Emergency contact numbers would be available for the Clerk. The periods not covered by public holiday would be taken as annual staff leave or time in lieu of overtime worked.
RESOLVED: The Parish Office closes over the Christmas and New Year period from 12.00 noon 24 December 2018 to 2 January 2019.
C18/065 Village Centre, Hurstpierpoint: Further to minute C18/057 (meeting 27 September 2018) Council was advised that the HVCA trustees had advised that they were intending to convene an EGM to propose that individual trustees resign their positions and that the Parish Council is invited to take the role of sole trustee. The full details of the proposed transaction would be presented to Council in due course.
C18/065. Information items, correspondence received and requests: Council noted:
(1) South Downs National Park Authority – Parish Workshops: West Sussex parishes: 6.30pm Thursday 29 November 2018 – Midhurst Rother Collage. Council confirmed that Cllr Peter Griffiths would attend on behalf of the Council.
There being no other business the Chairman closed the Meeting at 9.35 pm.