MINUTES of the Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 22 November 2018 at 8.00pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.
|Stephen Hand – Chairman Allan Brown Rodney Jackson David Evans Peter Griffiths John Lowman||Tony Lank Malcolm Llewellyn Martin Machan Claire Majsai Bob Sampson Steve Whitehead|
Anthony Watts Williams (MSDC Ward member)
Stephen Hoyles CLERK TO THE COUNCIL
C18/066. Apologies for absence and declarations of interest: The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted: Rosemary Burns, Amanda Geel, Julia Shorrocks, Joy Dennis (WSCC Ward member), Colin Trumble (MSDC Ward member), John Wilkinson (MSDC Ward member). There were no declarations of interest. The Chairman thanked Cllr Rodney Jackson for his chairing the previous two meetings of Council.
C18/067. Minutes and Confidential Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on
25 October 2018: The Council received and accepted the minutes.
RESOLVED: The Minutes and Confidential minutes of the Council meeting of 25 October 2018 are adopted.
C18/068. Matters arising from the Minutes of the Council meeting held on 25 October 2018: There were no matters not otherwise on the agenda.
C18/069. Adjournment for questions from the public: There being no members of the public present the Council was not required to to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders.
C18/070. Reports from other authorities: Council received verbal reports from representatives of other Authorities:
(1) Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC): Anthony Watts Williams (MSDC Ward member) reported:
- (1) MSDC had purchased the freehold of the Wickes DIY store site in Burgess Hill, using its own funds, as a long term investment. (2) The Site Allocations DPD process was progressing, as required by the adopted District Plan. (3) The Kingsland Laines site in Sayers Common was the subject of a proposed public consultation by the developer on 27 November 2018. (4) The Burgess Hill Northern Arc project masterplan had been published and it was noted that this ensured the timely provision of the development infrastructure. (5) The results of the A2300 road upgrade consultation were expected shortly. (6) The Gatwick Airport public consultation was taking place (with a closing date in January 2019) regarding the use of the standby runway for scheduled take-offs (but not landings). Cllr Watts Williams was concerned about the apparent lack of infrastructure investment and the potential for increased stacking of aircraft waiting to land. (7) A new primary school was planned for Hassocks, as part of the new large development, as detailed in the District Plan. (8) It was understood that encouraging progress was being made on the reinstatement of the 6th-form college in Haywards Heath.
In response members of the Council commented on the Wickes store purchase, questioning the commercial benefits of this investment strategy. Thanks was also recorded for the prompt action of MSDC Environmental Health department in responding to a bonfire in Sayers Common.
- (2) West Sussex County Council County Local Committee (WSCC/CLC) : Joy Dennis (WSCC Ward member) was not available and therefore no report was received on this occasion. The Chairman reported that he had recently met Cllr Dennis regarding the A2300 road upgrade consultation.
- (3) Mid Sussex Association of Local Councils (MSALC): Rodney Jackson reported: (1) An
MSALC/MSDC joint conference was being planned for early 2019. (2) He had attended the recent NALC AGM and conference at which the subscription increases were announced, a call for improved training of both councillors and clerks, a note that Government was aware of the increasing role of town and parish councils, and that the revised NPPF (2018) had partly reduced the effectiveness of neighbourhood plans.
C18/071. Committee and Working Group minutes: The Committee Chairmen introduced each Minutes, which the Council was asked to receive and where appropriate, consider the RECOMMENDATIONS:
C18/071.1 Planning Committee (1 November 2018)
C18/071.2 Finance + General Purposes Committee (8 November 2018)
(1) Minute F18/049.10 Review of charges: In accordance with the Financial Regulations approved by Council (para 9.3) the Council was required to annually review its charges for services. Apart from the previously agreed increase in allotments rents, it was not proposed to make any additional changes. (REF: Review of Charges schedule 8 November 2018)
RESOLVED: The Review of charges schedule effective 30 November 2018 is approved.
C18/071.3 Reeds Lane Play Area Working Group (6 November 2018)
C18/071.4 Staff Panel (8 November 2018) (CONFIDENTIAL Minutes).
C18/071.5 Community Affairs Committee (15 November 2018)
C18/071.6 Hurst Meadows Advisory Board (20 November 2018)
(1). Minute HM18/18. Marchants Close access: The Board had considered the designs for the pedestrian access from Marchants Close to make a RECOMMENDATION to the Parish Council. The updated layout and detail followed input from the Planning Authority Tree Officer regarding the treatment of the ancient woodland. It had been noted that, following the decision of the Management Committee, the kissing-gates at each end were to be removed. It was intended that the process would be for adoption by the Parish Council, followed by a local public consultation, followed by a planning application if required by the Planning Authority. It was intended that the construction would take place later in 2019. The Board had noted that the construction would be by ‘no-dig’ method to minimise disruption of the ground in the woodland, and the design was similarly such that there would be minimal impact on the woodland floor. The matter of the life of the structure was noted, and a suggestion made that a hardwood construction was considered. It was also noted that
Hurstpierpoint Society were very supportive of the proposal. The Board agreed that the design and construction was right, both visually and environmentally, and would be recommended for implementation. The Council considered this report and expressed its strong support for the project. (REF: Marchants Close boardwalk access design – PJC 2018 )
RESOLVED: The Marchants Road access proposals are adopted, and to proceed with public consultation and if required a planning application.
C18/072. Annual Return for the year ended 31 March 2018: Council was asked to receive and note the Annual Return and auditor’s report for year ended 31 March 2018. (Ref: Annual Return for the year ended
31 March 2018 )
RESOLVED: Council receives and notes the Annual Return for the year ended 31 March 2018
C18/073. Community buildings: The Council was asked to note recent progress on developments at Court Bushes Community Hub and Village Centre, Hurstpierpoint, as detailed in the Briefing Note. The ‘Hardhat’ tour of the building had been attanged for 14 December 2018, to which all councillors were invited. (REF: BRIEFING NOTE: Community Buildings progress 13 November 2018 )
C18/074. Councillor allowances: The Council was asked to approve revisions to the allowances. (REF:
BRIEFING NOTE Councillor allowance review – 13 November 2018)
RESOLVED: The Councillor allowances effective 1 April 2019 are approved.
C18/075. Information items, correspondence received and requests: Council noted:
- (1) Mid Sussex District Council – pilot voter ID: MSDC has been selected for this pilot which will take
place for the local elections in May 2019. (REF: MSDC press release Voter ID pilot 6 November 2018)
- (2) Land at Kingsland Laines, Reeds Lane, Sayers Common – New development public
consultation: This refers to the current permission for 120 houses, and is a consultation on the reserved matters. The consultation event is being held on Tuesday 27th November 2018 between 3pm and 7pm at Sayers Common Village Hall, London Road, Sayers Common, Hassocks, BN6 9HX. (REF: Public Exhibition leaflet – Linden Homes, 27 Nov 2018 )
- (3) Friends against Scams event – 14 December 2018: This event is being run by NatWest Bank
11.00am Friday 14 December 2018, Sayers Common Village Hall. (REF: NatWest against scams leaflet 14 Dec 2018)
- (4) Date of Council meeting: it was agreed that the dates of the December 2018 meetings of Council and
Planning Committee would be swapped, to enable Council to consider the submission of the Court Bushes Community Hub project to MSDC , to meets its deadline. The Council meeting would now be 13 December 2018 and the Planning Committee would be 20 December 2018.
There being no other business the Chairman closed the Meeting at 9.08 pm.