Minutes of the meeting of the council held on Thursday 24th October 2019 at 8.00 pm in the Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint.
Stephen Hand (Chairman) John Lowman
Michael Avery Martin Machan
Rodney Jackson (also MSDC Ward Cllr) Duncan Ranger
Tony Lank Bob Sampson
Malcolm Llewellyn Julia Shorrocks
Claire Majsai Peter Griffiths
Colin Trumble (MSDC Ward Councillor)
Alison Bennett (MSDC Ward Councillor)
Helen Valler Assistant Clerk
C19/053 Apologies for absence and declarations of interest: The following apologies for absence were received before the meeting and accepted: Cllrs David Evans, Allan Brown, Joy Dennis (WSCC). The following declarations of interest were declared: Cllr Bob Sampson – Item C19/059 and Cllr Seth Jee – SCVS
C19/054 Minutes of the meeting of the council held on 26th September 2019: To receive and accept the minutes.
RESOLVED: The minutes of the meeting of the council held on 26th September 2019 are adopted. It was noted that the meeting was successfully held in Sayers Common and a second meeting will be held there in the spring.
C19/055 Adjournment for questions from the public: The council shall consider whether to adjourn the meeting in accordance with clause 70 of Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public in attendance. There was one member of the public present who did not wish to speak.
C19/056 Reports from other authorities: To receive verbal reports from representatives of other authorities: C19/056.1 West Sussex County Council County (WSCC) In the absence of Cllr Dennis, Cllr Lank reported:
- • Stonepound crossroads – The bad weather delayed completing the road markings which in turn delayed the new traffic lights becoming operational. Should be operational by 25th October.
- • From week commencing 28th October 3 way traffic lights will operate at the junction of Stanford Avenue for construction of the pedestrian crossing.
- • Cllr Lank reported that an incorrect road closure notice had been submitted. The closure on 13th/14th November is between Brighton Road and Western Road not West Furlong Lane.
C19/056.2 Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC) Cllr Bennett reported:
- • The Burgess Hill library in the Martlets is due to close on 16th November. The new one will open at its new site on 3rd December.
- • Cllr Trumble & Cllr Bennett attended on open day at the Haywards Heath 6th form college. The building is due to open in September 2020 and will be run by Chichester College Group. The facility will offer A Level and Vocational qualifications without specialising in specific areas.
- • Gatwick Airport – Use of emergency runway. It was reported that Gatwick Airport Limited (GAL) had provided insufficient evidence of the impact on housing and infrastructure from regular use of the 2nd runway.
- • Cllr Lank raised that occupancy levels at Bramble Park are nearing 70, at which point a traffic survey will be required. Cllr Jackson agreed to obtain the up to date Occupancy figure from the MSDC Planning Office.
Cllr Trumble reported:
- • All local secondary schools are taking part in the STEM challenge. Cllr Trumble offered to provide a list of local companies that are supporting the initiative. It was agreed that relevant employers should be involved.
- • The Mid Sussex Applause Awards took place recently. It was a successful occasion with three awards within the Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common parish.
Cllr Jackson reported:
- • The Northern Arc development has been approved, with emphasise on construction of the infrastructure first.
- • WSCC – Less road repairs to be undertaken. Pot holes and/or repairs which are a safety issue will take priority.
- • 250 extra Police Officers across Sussex paid for by Police precept increase and 100 extra PCSOs across Sussex. 400 extra Police Officers from extra money from Government. A discussion took place around inviting our local police officer to a full council meeting. He is already due to attend the Community Engagement Committee meeting on 14th November. It was also suggested that Katy Bourne be invited to attend a council meeting.
Cllrs Bennett and Trumble left the meeting.
C19/057 Committee and Working Group minutes: The committee chairmen will introduce each minutes, which the council is asked to receive and where appropriate, consider the recommendations:
C19/057.1 Court Bushes Hub Committee (1 October 2019) Cllr Llewellyn reported:
- • The Business Rates payable have been switched from Court Bushes to the cemetery, saving a considerable sum.
- • Current income at Court Bushes
- • A revenue support grant has been received from MSDC
- • Hurst Colts container – agreement made to retain the container in the car park.
C19/057.2 Finance and General Purposes Committee (10 October 2019) Cllr Llewellyn reported:
- • Budget Review – 6 monthly financial report
- • Cemetery wall repairs – funds have been moved from Parish Office refurbishment budget & reserves to finance repairs.
C19/057.3 Planning and Environment Committee (17 October 2019)Cllr Machan reported:
- • 145 High Street – Appeal was dismissed, owner has 6 months, from August, to return building to original condition. MSDC Enforcement team are short staffed so it was requested that Cllr Jackson takes this up should it be necessary.
- • A meeting with MSDC Planning Officer in relation to application DM/18/1860 Naldretts Farm. Biodiversity study needs to be undertaken. The proposed passing places may be temporary, and perhaps as a condition of permission being granted the passing places to be removed and site reinstated after construction completed. Planning Officer to make recommendation, there is no planning reason to refuse. Cllr Machan recommended the Parish Council appoint a Planning Consultant.
C19/058 Committee membership and terms of reference: Following the adoption of the revised committee structure and meeting schedule on 26th September 2019, and in line with the revised Standing Orders, for each committee, working group, panel, advisory board and advisory group, the Council must:
- (a) Determine the terms of reference (SO 4d (i))
- (b) Appoint and determine the terms of office of members (SO 4d (iv))
- (c) Appoint the Chairman (SO 4d (vi))
(REF: Draft committee membership and terms of reference ATTACHED)
RECOMMENDATION: Council adopts the revised terms of reference, membership and Chairman as per the circulated draft document. The following concerns were raised:
Cllr Jee- would like to be reinstated onto the Community Engagement Committee
Cllr Machan – Planning and Environment Committee – no reference to any environmental policy in terms of reference.
Cllr Llewellyn – Property Management should be referenced in Estate & Facilities Committee as well as Finance & Governance. Each committee should have budget commitment & responsibility. It was agreed that these documents need further discussion before an agreement can be reached.
C19/059 Information items, correspondence received and requests: Council is asked to note:
(a) Mid Sussex District Council has received a Facility Grant application for £5,000 from Hurstpierpoint Players towards the cost of upgrading the theatre auditorium, which will cost over £60,000 in total. They are holding Community Buildings s.106contibutions which could be used to fund the project, so will recommend an award. The Grants Panel is meeting on 29th October and welcomes any comments from the Parish Council. Cllr Sampson declared a personal interest.
RESOLVED: The council agreed to support the application.
C19/060 Confidential matters:
The Council is asked to resolve that in view of the confidential nature of the following item, the press and public be excluded under section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960.
(a) The Council is asked to agree the job advert and salary scale, job description and person specification for the recruitment of a new Clerk, along with the timescales for the recruitment process (REF: Proposed Clerk job advert and salary scale, job description, person specification and timescales (CIRCULATED AS A
SEPARATE CONFIDENTIAL ATTACHMENT)
RECOMMENDATION: Council approves the job advert and salary scale, job description, person specification and timescales for the recruitment process
RESOLVED: Council approved the process as per the recommendation.
There being no other business, the Chairman closed the meeting at 9.05pm.