hurstpierpoint logo

Hurstpierpoint & Sayers Common
Parish Council

Highways, Cycleways & Footpaths Joint Council Working Group

Monday 24 October 2022 at 2.00pm, in the Village Centre Conference Room

and via Teams Video Conferencing

Present:

Cllr Tony Lank (H&SC PC) Chair                                             Cllr Julia Shorrocks (H&SC PC)

Cllr Malcolm Llewellyn (H&SC PC)                                       Cllr Allan Brown (H&SC PC)

Cllr Bob Sampson (H&SC PC) via Teams                            Cllr Colin Trumble (MSDC)

Cllr Joy Dennis (WSCC)                                                             Richard Speller (WSCC Highways)

Paul Jackson-Cole (WSCC Highways via Teams)             David Lambert (WSCC Highways via Teams)

Sarah Groom (H&SC PC-Clerk to the Council)

1.         Apologies for absence: Apologies for absence were received from Nick de Sousa (WSCC Highways),

Andy Mouland (WSCC Highways), Ian Patrick (WSCC Highways) and Tracey McGovern (WSCC Highways).

2.         Minutes of the meeting of 22 November 2021:  The minutes of the meeting of 22 November 2021 were agreed and signed by the Chair. 

3.         Cycle Routes:  With agreement, the Chairbrought forward the Cycle Routes agenda item as Paul Jackson-Cole (PJC) and David Lambert (DL) were both present. 

3i)        Burgess Hill Place and Connectivity Programme:  Paul Jackson-Cole gave a short presentation on the £21.84m LGF Burgess Hill Place and Connectivity fund.  The three phases were explained with phase 3 being the Hurstpierpoint to Burgess Hill routes.  These are currently being drafted and assessed.  PJC would circulate the presentation slides.  PJC confirmed the time table was consultation before January 2023, design early 2023, tendering during 2023 and construction late 2023/early 2024.  PJC confirmed funds would still be available for the works however the schemes have not yet been costed in full.

ACTION:  Paul Jackson-Cole would circulate the presentation slides.

3ii)       The east/west cycle route from Sayers Common via Albourne and Hurstpierpoint to Hassocks: DL explained the Dale Avenue works were taking place in the Summer of 2023 up to and including St George’s Green, through Hurst Meadows and back onto Brown Twins Road.  A revised route will see the alignment altered slightly near Trinity Court entrance to avoid tree root protection zones.  Concern was expressed that the section from Highfield Drive through the twitten to St George’s Lane, is intended to be delivered later by Tracey McGovern (TMG) as the new route had not yet had its disability impact assessment.  Cllr Dennis would ask TMG to bring this assessment forward so the route could be completed at the same time.

The issue of travelling along Trinity Road and crossing Cuckfield Road was thought to be 99% finalised by DL and the detail will be shared with the Parish Council.

ACTION: 

  1. Cllr Dennis to ask Tracey McGovern to bring forward the disability impact assessment for the section at Highfield Drive twitten.
  2. David Lambert to share the Trinity Road/Cuckfield Road/Manor Road detail with the Parish Council.  Feedback will be returned via Cllr Dennis.

3iii)      Connections north of the parish from the Millennium Garden in Hurst Meadows:  The Parish Council will contact Willbar Consultants at a later date to progress a design for the “missing link” to join up the east/west cycle routes set out above, north to Burgess Hill via the Triangle.

The Chair thanked PJC and DL for their comprehensive updates and PJC and DL left the meeting.

4.         Community Highway Scheme (CHS):  The CHS was approved in January 2022 the details of which had been circulated.  Following a number of informal meetings the scheme was now in the delivery stage with Nick de Sousa’s new role being to deliver the schemes.  Some of the items were now at the feasibility, design and costings stage.  The Chair and NDS were in an ongoing dialogue about these schemes.  There will be some consultation with the traders over the changes in the High Street including the Co-Op, shoe shop, pet shop, New Inn etc. to ensure they support the proposals. Potential time frame is designs completed by WSP Design Engineers by March 2023 with delivery in 2023/2024.

ACTION:  Ongoing liaison between the Chair and Nick de Sousa on the CHS schemes.

5.         Highways General Updates:

5i)        Sayers Common London Road Crossing:  The Chair reported that following consultation with the Village Shop representatives, the location directly outside the shop was their least favourite option.  At a recent Council meeting the Sayers Common residents present, agreed that the middle option was acceptable.

5ii)       High Street 20 mph zone: A discussion was held on whether the 20mph speed signs for the High Street should be extended from current positions to more logical locations where the road surface changes etc.  The Parish Council will consider this further.

ACTION:  The Parish Council will consider the 20mph speed sign location in the High Street.

5iii)      Pitt Lane double yellow lines: These had been re-marked by the Parish Council and now require a corresponding Traffic Regulation Order to allow enforcement.  MSDC supports this proposal and it will be added to the High Street TRO, so future compliant DYL’s can be enforced.  RS will provide the details of what the Parish Council needs to do to achieve this.

ACTION:  RS will assist the Clerk complete the paperwork required for the Pitt Lane double yellow lines to be incorporated into the High Street TRO.

5iv)     South Avenue Drainage: The area of land at the entrance to South Lodge Cottage is owned by the Parish Council but designated public highway.  The owner of the Cottage agreed to submit a Section 278 Notice to WSCC for permission to build a ‘fit for purpose’ connection to the Highways drainage system which will also improve the drainage off the Recreation Ground.  This may be part of his planning conditions.  RS will monitor the application by the home owner for the cross over license if news works are undertaken.

ACTION:  RS to monitor the cross-over license application for the entrance to the new property at South Lodge Cottage.

6.         MSDC Trinity Road Car Park Electrical Vehicle Charging Points: The Chair reported that the Cabinet Member for Parking at MSDC, Cllr Ruth de Mierre had agreed that following a review of the usage, a temporary reduction in the number of bays was appropriate.  MSDC will advise the proposed number of bays to be decommissioned in due course.

7.         Updates:  A number of brief updates were given as follows:

7i)        Speed Indicator Device (SID):  The Chair gave an update on the use of the SID which was proving very useful in assembling data.  Iden Hurst data was currently being analysed.   A Wickham Hill resident would still like the SID deployed on the route heading east up the hill although there are no posts with permission yet.  The emerging trends arising from the data can be reported to the Police.    

7ii)       Signage to Court Bushes Community Hub:  The Clerk will seek quote from Wilbar Associates for white directional signs.

7iii)      Marchants Close Large ‘No Through Road’ T sign: This was still wanted so the Clerk will seek quote from Wilbar Associates for a large ‘No Through Road’ T sign.

ACTIONS:  The Clerk will follow up on Court Bushes and Marchants Close signage.

7iv)     Priority footpaths issues had been raised with the public rights of way team including the possible encroachment on the east end of Policeman’s Lane.  The Clerk will send the email list to Cllr Dennis.

8.         Date of Next Meeting: The date of the next meeting will be on Monday 6 February 2023 from 2-3.30pm.