Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 30th March 2023 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 24th March 2023
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Tony Lank (Vice-Chair), Cllr David Evans, Cllr John Lowman Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford, (two vacancies).
1. Apologies for Absence: To receive and accept apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Interest: To note any declarations of interest
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 2nd March 2023: To receive and accept the minutes.
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 2nd March 2023: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 105 Iden Hurst Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XZ. DM/23/0559. Proposed side window and rear french doors.
6.2 7 South Avenue Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/23/0636. Removal of existing chimney stack, replacement of 3 No rooflights to the main roof and re-tiling all pitched roof areas with slate tiles.
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Land Adjacent To Oak Tree St Georges Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9QU. DM/23/0519. Construction of a new single storey two-bedroom dwelling (C3 use class) with a detached bin and bike store and associated hard and soft landscaping works.
7.2 Flat 4 Old Mill House Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9LL. DM/23/0525. Proposed conservatory to be built on front balcony.
7.3 Site Of Disused Sewerage Works Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/0528. The installation of a 25 metre high slimline lattice tower supporting 6 no. antenna apertures and 4 no. 600mm transmission dishes, the installation of 6 no. equipment cabinets, a 3 metre high security fence and ancillary development thereto.
7.4 Hautboyes New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BD. SDNP/23/00836/LDE. Use of land as residential garden.
7.5 Fourwinds College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AD. DM/23/0618. Variation of condition 2 of planning application DM/22/2973 – For the list of Plans Referred to in Consideration of this Application, to which Condition 2 relates, to be amended to include: 004 Proposed Floor Plans Rev E, 005 Proposed Elevations Rev H
7.6 119 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9RS. DM/23/0608. Demolition of garage and erection of 2 storey side extension.
7.7 43 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/23/0338. First floor side extension over garage, replace conservatory with two storey rear extension with elevational alterations (Corrected and amended plans received 27 February and 2 March 2023)
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SC PC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Ladymead Mews Albourne Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/23/0108. T001 Sycamore – raise canopy by removing 6 lowest branches and thin by 20%. T002 Sycamore – crown lift by removing 6 low branches, overall crown reduce by 2 metres, sever ivy at base of tree. T003 Sycamore – pollard to previous pollard points. T004 English Yew – overall crown reduce by 1.5 metre. T005 Common Beech – remove 2 small internal branches at approx 4m from ground level.
b) Hurstpierpoint College College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9JS. DM/22/3789. Extension to the existing boarding house to form eight new boarding rooms and associated facilities, including two staff flats and associated alterations. (Amended elevation received on 03.02.2023 to change materials)
c) Knowles Tooth Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9EZ. DM/23/0580. Non material amendment to planning application DM/16/2681 for the inclusion of the approved drawings into a condition.
d) 7 Wickham Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AP. DM/23/0341. Construction of a single storey, flat roof rear extension and garage conversion.
e) 113 High Street Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/22/3798. Proposed Change of Use to a micro brewery / tap room with a proposed extraction fan to the north elevation. Window to be blocked up in the store room to the rear.
f) 38 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9SA. DM/23/0403. T1 Magnolia Grandiflora – reduce crown by 1 metre.
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) The Cottage South Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9YD. DM/22/2982. Two-storey side extension (Tree Report received 09.01.2023). (H&SC PC recommended permission)
b) Former Police Office Manor Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UL. DM/22/3082. The alteration, extension and adaptation of existing single storey redundant Police Office unit to form proposed detached two storey two bedroom dwelling off road parking for a single vehicle. Revised Sustainability Statement received on 17.10.2022. Design and Access Statement received on 31.10.2022. Additional information on elevational treatment and solar installation received on 11.12.2022. Amended front elevation omitting solar panels. Received 19.01.2023. (H&SC PC recommended permission)
c) 27 College Lane Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AB. DM/23/0162. Two storey side extension to the north, re-building of garage structure to south. Rear single storey extension with roof terrace over. Loft conversion with dormer roof. (H&SC PC recommended permission)
d) 17A Kemps Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UF. DM/23/0283. Loft conversion.
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) Danny Lodge New Way Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9BA. SDNP/23/00043/HOUS. Demolition of 3 outbuildings. Replacement of a single sustainable outbuilding.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
a) 9 Marchants Road Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9UP. AP/22/0041. Partial demolition of existing workshop to rear of detached garage. Construction of a two-storey extension to the rear and side elevations. Construction of a single-storey Porch/WC extension to the front and side elevations. Associated hard and soft landscaping works. (Appeal Dismissed)
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.