Committee Members are summoned to attend the MEETING of the Planning & Environment Committee to be held on Thursday 9th June 2022 at 7.30pm, in the Conference Room, Village Centre, Trinity Road, Hurstpierpoint. Members of the public have a right to and are invited, to attend the meeting.
Sarah Groom, Clerk to the Council 1 June 2022
Committee Membership: Cllr Julia Shorrocks (Chair), Cllr Michael Avery, Cllr David Evans, Cllr Seth Jee, Cllr Tony Lank, Cllr John Lowman, Cllr Martin Machan, Cllr Bob Sampson, Cllr Allan Brown, Cllr Helen Bedford. (one vacancy)
1. Apologies for Absence & Declarations of Interest: To receive and accept apologies for absence and to receive and note any declarations of interest.
2. To elect the Vice-Chair of the Planning & Environment Committee for the following year: To receive nominations and elect a Vice-Chair of the Committee for the following year.
3. Minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 5th May 2022: To receive and accept the minutes.
4. Matters arising from the Meeting of the Planning & Environment Committee held on 5th May 2022: There were no matters arising.
5. Adjournment for questions from the public: The Committee is to consider whether to adjourn the Meeting in accordance with Standing Orders, in order to receive questions from members of the public.
6. Planning applications delegated to Committee Chair and Vice-Chair in accordance with Minute P17/048: (The decisions of the Chair and Vice-Chair will be reported to the meeting.) The Committee is asked to note:
6.1 42 Weald Close Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9SR. DM/22/1387. Proposed single storey rear extension. Lawful Development Certificate.
6.2 Spenny Thorne 13 Wilderness Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9XD. DM/22/1303. Proposed single storey side/rear extension, new side windows and internal alterations Amendment to existing approved application DM/21/2998.
6.3 149 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9RT. DM/22/1551. Single storey front extension to create new entrance hallway and office.
6.4 7 Marchants Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9UP. DM/22/1587. Variation to condition numbers 2 (change of drawings) and 3 (retrospective material condition change, to account for cedral cladding at first floor level. This application relates to planning application DM/21/1873.
6.5 21 Western Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9SU. DM/22/1546. Front porch extension and alterations to front of garage to reduce size of garage door and convert part of garage to utility room.
6.6 Heathland 5 Albert Silsby Place Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9YG. DM/22/1595. Variation of condition 2 relating to planning reference DM/21/3265 to allow for amendments to the design
7. Planning applications – Committee decision: The Committee is asked toconsider the following and make RECOMMENDATIONS to the Planning authority:
7.1 Land South of Randiddles Close Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. SDNP/22/01444/FUL. Field shelter for the protection of our sheep, storage of their feed and related equipment.
7.2 146 Western Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/1294. Proposed loft extension with installation of rear dormer window, 2 new windows to side elevation and 2 new rooflights to front roof slope, installation of new metal bi-fold doors and projecting bay window seat to rear elevation and erection of garden room to rear garden.
7.3 Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/22/1326. Proposed removal of existing rooflight to rear bedroom and formation of new Juliette Balcony with pitched dormer roof.
7.4 Graceland 17 Fairfield Crescent Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9SF. DM/22/1348. Loft conversion incorporating hip to gable elements to the north and south, one full length dormer to the rear and one dormer to the front and also for raising the front gable roof pitch.
7.5 Hurstpierpoint College College Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9JS. DM/22/1316. Installation of mezzanine floor and window fenestration alteration, together with associated internal alterations at Shield House.
7.6 Hurstpierpoint College College Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9JS. DM/22/1318. Installation of mezzanine floor and window fenestration alteration, together with associated internal alterations to Shield House. Listed Building Consent.
7.7 61 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9NR. DM/22/1459. Alterations to rear ground floor sunroom and first floor balcony from a semi circle to a square.
7.8. Barn Southwest of Pakyns House Bullfinch Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/22/1439. Proposed removal of condition 2 from HP/127/94.
7.9 17 Cuckfield Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9RP. DM/22/1389. Erection of first floor rear extension.
7.10 Bright World Education Ltd Forge House 105 High Street Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9PU. DM/21/4129. Proposed installation of 2 heat pump inverter outside units on the rear wall of office building. (Noise Impact Assessment and Notification received 17.05.2022)
7.11 The Manor House 3 Albert Silsby Place Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9YG. DM/22/1569. Construction of single storey Gym with timber weatherboarding/brick plinth and plain clay tile roof. Construction of sheltered seating area, associated hard landscaping and brick wall with flint inlay.
7.12 Hornsdene Farm House Pookbourne Lane Sayers Common West Sussex BN6 9HD. DM/22/0534. Demolition of agricultural outbuilding (cow shed) and erection of new triple bay garage and one bedroom annex.
7.13 Knowles Tooth Langton Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9EZ. DM/22/1580. Erection of an oak-framed garage with tiled roof instead of brick garage previously approved, plus erection of wooden pergola surrounding a half sunken swim lane with decking to level ground, plus steps.
7.14 36 Orchard Way Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9UB. DM/22/1641. Single storey rear extension and front porch.
8. MSDC Planning Decisions: (All as H&SCPC recommendation, except where noted).
8.1 Granted: to note permissions granted by MSDC:
a) Buff Cottage Reeds Lane Sayers Common West Sussex BN6 9JG. DM/22/1053. Non Material Amendment to Planning Reference DM/20/4147 for minor changes to windows and cavity walls.
b) Wickham Lodge 35 Wickham Hill Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9NP. DM/22/0883. Single storey front and rear extension with change to the garage roof to pitched.
c) 3 High Street Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9TT. DM/22/0971. 1 x macrocarpa (T1) – remove lowest limb on west side, reduce crown on North side by 1m to give clearance from silver birch, reduce lowest limb on East side by 2m.
d) 1 Manor Cottages Manor Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9UN. DM/22/0831. Spruce tree – fell.
e) Cowdrays Policemans Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9TW. DM/22/0896. Partial demolition of existing conservatory to replace glazing and add a tiled roof.
f) Cowdrays Policemans Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9TW. DM/22/0897. Partial demolition of existing conservatory to replace glazing and add a tiled roof. Listed Building Consent.
g) 16 Trinity Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9UY. DM/22/0854. Proposed single storey side extension.
h) Wickham Place Wickham Drive Hurstpierpoint Hassocks West Sussex BN6 9AP. DM/22/0628. Removal of bay window and replace with hardwood door and double glazed side lights. Install oak frame open porch onto existing house.
I) Parkfield Cottage Bedlam Street Hurstpierpoint BN6 9EW. SDNP/22/01056/HOUS. Creation of timber decking area with open pergola, including removal of existing shed (Retrospective). (Decision by SDNP)
j) Alders Farm Brighton Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9EE. DM/22/0666. Notification for Prior approval to convert the existing barn into a residential dwelling, The internal layout is arranged with primary accommodation on the eastern and western elevations and an open plan living / dining area between. All habitable rooms will have new windows / external doors. (H&SC PC recommended refusal)
8.2 Refused: to note refusals by MSDC:
a) 108 Western Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9TB. DM/22/0848. Proposed loft conversion with rear dormer and 3 front rooflights. (H&SC PC recommended approval)
b) 9 Marchants Road Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9UP. DM/22/0919. Partial demolition of existing workshop to rear of detached garage. Construction of a two-storey extension to the rear and side elevations. Construction of a single-storey Porch/WC extension to the front and side elevations. Associated hard and soft landscaping works. (H&SC PC recommended approval)
8.3 Withdrawn: to note withdrawn applications:
a) Barn Southwest of Pakyns House Bullfinch Lane Hurstpierpoint West Sussex. DM/22/0711. Change of use of an agricultural building at Bullfinch Lane into a dwelling.
b) Garden House South Avenue Hurstpierpoint West Sussex BN6 9QB. DM/22/1325. Proposed new detached car port to front forecourt of existing dwelling.
8.4 Appeals: to note planning appeals:
No notifications received.
The role of the Planning Committee in planning decisions:
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council or South Downs National Park Authority who have the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC or SDNPA must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The Planning Authority can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning Committee, which is authorised to express the Council’s view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004), Neighbourhood Plan PARISH 2031 and the Mid Sussex Design Guide 2020. It can also take guidance from the Parish Council’s Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda but should follow the procedures set down in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Protocol for filming and recording at public meetings: The Council has a protocol for public filming, recording and photography at its meetings, which is available on the Council’s website or on request at the Parish Office.